Safety level on Roatan?

Guyfarmgirl

I am wanting to do a tour with the victor bodden tour place but my question is: It will just be my mother and myself (both females) alone for the tour. Would you think it will be safe enough for the two of us to go alone with the tour guide or is it something we should have an adult male go with us to? I really love the idea of a tour guide where we can choose what and where we want to go and do. My mother is just worried because it would only be us two with the tour guide. What does everyone think? OK, for us to go alone? or not advise it? This is our first time to Roatan so I am not sure exactly how it is there so hoping some fellow cruisers could answer this question. Thanks in advance.

I am wanting to do a tour with the victor bodden tour place but my question is: It will just be my mother and myself (both females) alone for the tour. Would you think it will be safe enough for the two of us to go alone with the tour guide or is it something we should have an adult male go with us to? I really love the idea of a tour guide where we can choose what and where we want to go and do. My mother is just worried because it would only be us two with the tour guide. What does everyone think? OK, for us to go alone? or not advise it? This is our first time to Roatan so I am not sure exactly how it is there so hoping some fellow cruisers could answer this question. Thanks in advance.

Bodden has a really good reputation you should be fine but if you're really nervous request a female driver.

I am not worried about the male driver, I actually would prefer a male driver for the reason of it being just the two of us. I think my mother is just worried because we have never been to the port and do not know what to expect. I did not know they had women drivers though so thank you for that info.

In general the island is relatively safe. There have been incidents in the past but one was a crew member of a cruise ship in Coxen Hole who was stabbed for his laptop sitting outside a local bar with wifi. Another was a suspected car jacking of a rental car out in a remote region of the island. Both were several years back.

Guest 2000 who lives on the island at times, may know of other incidents, but as he said Victor's drivers have very good reps and records and are not likely to take you anywhere on the island where you might be endangered.

My 74 year old mother - and her walker - and I went on together on a private tour with a Victor Bodden driver. It was just the two of us and the driver. Never felt unsafe. My mom still talks about the tour today.

• Like 1

I have never felt unsafe on Roatan, however, I am not sure I would be comfortable with just my daughter and her mom going on a tour with just a driver anywhere. Maybe see if others from your Ship’s Roll Call are interested in splitting a tour with you? Groups are usually safer in any situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never been to Roatan before but am going in January. I am a female in my 20s and travel solo often. I do not wear jewelery and do not wear anything name brand when traveling. I'm not friendly with strangers or people that approach me. Just don't make yourself a target. Lol I was in the same position when I took my mom on a cruise to the Dominican. She was freaking out because it was just her and I with a tour guide and didn't want to go when she realized it was just us. I reassured her that he was a reputable tour guide with tons of 5 star reviews. It ended up being the best part of her trip.

• Like 1

My husband and I just booked a tour with Bodden for October. They try to stick you with other people in your cruise if you pick one of the packages. They require a minimum of 4 people per tour for it to go.From what I've read they never had an issue. They seem to be really reputable.

• 2 weeks later...

We have used both Victor Bodden and Rony's tours. We have just booked our 4th tour with Victor Bodden for our November cruise. You will be completely safe. My mom and I went on a Panama Canal cruise together and she was very reluctant to let me book private tours at each of our stops too. Once she did them she saw how much better it was than booking through the cruise lines! We had a great time and we were able to do as much or as little as we wanted to at each stop. Tell your mom not to worry on Roatan. Since we have been so many times we have traveled all over the island to get a feel for the out of the way places away from the tourist crowds. We never felt unsafe and it is an interesting island full of wonderful people! If you are interested there is a museum that gives a bit of the history of the area. I believe admission is only $1.

We love touring with Victor Bodden! We have toured with him 5 times and each time a great experience! We usually have George as our driver, but this last time we had Victor's brother! Plus Victor had made so many upgrades to his property, including sloths! Highly recommend!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

I have been 2x's at toured with my 2 sons (my husband dives, so it is the kids and I in port). I never felt like we were in any danger anywhere we went. That includes the day we arrived in a DRIVING rain storm that seemed to flood every road for about an hour.

I felt very safe at all times on a tour, just myself and my son. I would go alone with a guide. While there have been incidents in the past, they are rare and there is a lot more crime and danger in my home town. I'd never think to worry about leaving the house alone in Houston. Roatan is a lovely island with wonderful people, and you should feel safe going with a guide to any of the spots. My mom (75) and her female friend (68), both widows with some limited mobility, went alone and had a great time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You’re a lot safer coming off of a cruise ship than spending time on the island as we do.  It’s been very crazy this year.  You never hear about the issues, but they can be researched.  Another murder last night, but it had nothing to do with cruise ship patrons.  We will be stoping on a carnival ship in March and staying for a week in April.  Take it for what it’s worth.

• 2 months later...

Hubby and I were just in Roatan last week Wednesday.  We booked the fun n sun tour with Bodden tours based upon so many great reviews on here.  Elliott was our driver, and we felt very safe with him.  There was another family of 6 in the van with us as well.  When we went to West Bay beach, he gathered us together before walking down the street to the beach.  In the one block long walk, there were two armed guards watching over the tourists, so we felt very safe.  Once we got to the beach (Bananarama), there was also an armed guard that stayed right there by our chairs the entire time we were on the beach.  It is an extremely poor community, as most Carribbean ports are.  Elliott was born and raised there.  I found it interesting that he was telling us that Hondurans on the mainland are not allowed to move to Roatan unless someone sponsors them to come there.  He said the people who live on Roatan don't want the mainland Hondurans to come there because they only bring crime.  He said that the ones who aren't allowed to come to Roatan usually join a caravan to the US.