Aft C1 on Summit vs ordinary C3 balcony. Worth it for S. Caribbean?

HawaiiUK

Hi,

I've booked a C3 balcony (actually, just changed rooms today as I realised I'd booked a connecting room, so now have a cabin a few doors along). I think it looks like there are several (SEVERAL) cabins in all categories still available at the moment for November, so I'm wondering, as the final payment date approaches, whether there might be any price reductions. (bearing in mind I'm in the UK which seems to drag its heels in such matters). Sorry that was a long-winded approach to ask:

*If* a C1 aft balcony (ie the sunset ones with the deeper balcony right at the back) does come up with a good sale price, is it worth me going for one of these? What's it like going backwards? Does the bigger balcony make up for the possibility of feeling the ship's movements more. I'm seduced by having sun loungers, but I wonder whether it's really that much better than my ordinary balcony?

Any thoughts or experiences much appreciated. Thank you!

Hi,

I've booked a C3 balcony (actually, just changed rooms today as I realised I'd booked a connecting room, so now have a cabin a few doors along). I think it looks like there are several (SEVERAL) cabins in all categories still available at the moment for November, so I'm wondering, as the final payment date approaches, whether there might be any price reductions. (bearing in mind I'm in the UK which seems to drag its heels in such matters). Sorry that was a long-winded approach to ask:

*If* a C1 aft balcony (ie the sunset ones with the deeper balcony right at the back) does come up with a good sale price, is it worth me going for one of these? What's it like going backwards? Does the bigger balcony make up for the possibility of feeling the ship's movements more. I'm seduced by having sun loungers, but I wonder whether it's really that much better than my ordinary balcony?

Any thoughts or experiences much appreciated. Thank you!

If you booked in the UK, you won’t be able to get the price reduction and move anyway. The C1 are some of the best balconies on the ship, but usually, UK bookings mean you would have to pay the initial pricing for that cabin. They will not honour price drops any longer (stopped a good few years ago). If you booked in the US, it’s a totally different ballgame ;).

I can't speak to the rules for changing cabins, but I can speak to the motion question. If you are sensitive to motion, then the further aft you get the more you can feel any motion. I personally also feel it more looking out backwards but that may not apply to everyone. You also get more side to side rocking/shaking at the very rear of the ship.

I feel obliged to add - you may get some responses that someone sailed those rooms and had no motion at all. Or felt no motion at all. Good for them. But being one who gets seasick easily, trust me when I tell you if there is motion to be felt at all, then the further aft (or forward) you go, the more you feel the motion. It's a scientific fact. Sorry if this comes across as testy, but it is a pet peeve of mine and I don't want anyone to be given false information when it comes to this issue. (and for the record, I have sailed in these cabins, and pretty much everywhere else on the ship in my 50+ cruises so I am not saying this lightly)

We have been in the aft cabins a few times. It all depends on the waves and weather. Sometimes there did appear to be a fishtail motion and it can get rather nauseating and ironically depending on how many drinks make it feel worse. There is also a tendency for the ship to roll from side to side and for what ever reason people will not latch their sliding doors and there is that constant slamming of them sliding open and shut.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Everyone is different, and you can't get inside anyone else's head (ummm, middle ear). I am usually prone to seasickness, but we stay in afts all the time on the M-class, and I'm fine. I also do wear my wristbands all the time when the ship is moving - nothing high tech, just the plain old-fashioned pressure point ones.

I think you need to try it and see how it affects YOU - they are wonderful verandas. And I don't even mind going backwards, I could watch the wake all day (even though riding in limos backwards makes me sick) - so you see, you just never know.

LOVE those aft-facing C-1's on the M Class -- biggest balcony that we've ever had on a cruise ship! I love the sound of the aft wake, as well. At night, it sounds like falling asleep beside a waterfall. But, do be aware -- just like in the bow, you will feel the 'motion of the ocean' much more than in a mid-ship cabin! BTW -- those are popular cabins -- NOT a very well-kept secret. So, if you're thinking about booking one of them -- hurry, before someone else snaps it up! :D

Thanks - I'll only go for it though if the price makes it worth it AND I can persuade UK Celebrity to let me change my Concierge category. I shall be very content with the stateroom I already have, but I am curious about those sunset cabins, and what it's like watching the wake - and a week's cruise isn't too long if I don't like it after all. I tend to dose myself up with Sturgeron prophylactically for the first few days anyway until I've found my sea legs. Ah well, we'll see!