Cruise Hacks

We take two small battery operated fans and an alarm clock, for the side of the bed tables. We have had a few rooms that seemed to run hot. We could use our phones as an alarm clock, but keeping them in the safe makes me feel like I am on vacation! We also pack a few items from the dollar tree that don't take up much space in luggage, but keep us organized. A pop up hamper, Led push lights, air freshener, collapsible cube to hold medicines etc,and extra batteries. When we come home, I keep them all in a suitcase ready for the next cruise!

Perhaps if you have an older car, it may not store electronic data. The last car that I had that didn't store electronic data was purchased in the 80s.
Now I'm super interested..... I have a car with push button start so it had a key fob and I also have a car with remote start that would have electronic coding...... neither are impacted by magnets.

What car keys would?

Do you mean key card? My "car" keys have never stored electronic data on them...

Just speaking for one manufacturer, GM began puting transponder chips in their keys in 1997. Now, nearly all GM cars and trucks have them. That’s why a replacement key and associated programming can cost 50-100 dollars at the dealer.

I use a USB power hub now. It's smaller than a power strip, and I've never had any problem's getting in through security, ship or plane. Works so well I've bought two of them one for travel and one I use at home.

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Charger-Desktop-Charging-Technology/dp/B00OQ19QYA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1534606685&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=usb+power+hub&psc=1

Ditto this. Most people have a lot of items they charge overnight - phones, cameras, iPad, etc. This means you can charge multiple items while only using one plug. I like this one so that I can keep my phones, kindle, etc neatly organized in one place.

https://www.amazon.com/Charging-Station-Multiple-Devices-Simultaneously/dp/B0754FDXLQ?crid=UOW15FPIIBEM&keywords=multi+usb+charger&qid=1534681969&sprefix=Multi+usb&sr=8-19&ref=mp_s_a_1_19

983836812_715FTWTfU20L._AC_SL1500_.jpg.83256bafd7eefde5695488a121e2a55f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935U using Forums mobile app

Magnetic hooks!! Work on most walls and in the bathroom.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I see this a lot, but I didn't have good luck with it on our cruise last year. (Carnival Ecstasy) I bought heavy duty magnetic hooks. They stuck to the wall just fine until I tried to use it. Then it slid down the wall.

I wasn't even hanging something heavy. A lightweight sweater, I believe. It was very disappointing.

I like to bring a coupe of these to keep things I use to get ready in the morning. Hair products, makeup etc. I pull them out when I am getting ready and then put them on a shelf when I head out for the day. The vanity are in the bathroom is small and so is the desk/table. This keeps things from being spread out all over the place. I also like to bring the small tray like ones for small items

219435.jpg

Looking for any cruise hacks that can make my cruise better! (ie over the door shoe hanger). It is my mom and my grandma with me on his cruise and we are staying in a balcony. It is my 4th cruise but I always am finding ways to make cruising a little easier/enjoyable. Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is kind of hard to HACK into a cruise. If you get caught the cruise line will probably prosecute. Now if what you want is some tips or pointers, there are lots of those but do not try to hack a cruise.

Edited by Got No Real Name

I bring a bag for dirty clothes. When it comes time to pack I just throw the bag in my suitcase.

There is a shampoo/conditioner dispenser in the shower. I bring my own leave in conditioner though because of wind, salt water, etc.

I always bring an extra bathing suit.

Couple of zip lock bags to keep together small souvenirs like postcards, magnets.

Beach bag or tote for heading to the pool, spa, into ports.

Waterproof phone cases work, hold most phones, and can also store your room & credit cards.

Just speaking for one manufacturer, GM began puting transponder chips in their keys in 1997. Now, nearly all GM cars and trucks have them. That’s why a replacement key and associated programming can cost 50-100 dollars at the dealer.

A great reason TO put them next to a magnet and deactivate them. GM does not need to know where and when I am driving. Big brother!

find something to decorate your cabin door so it is easy to find. for me, i use a simple fridge magnet that i stick to the door, other people do a big arts/craft thing with the door

Last Cruise I kept trying to get into the wrong cabin...:rolleyes::rolleyes:Those poor people :rolleyes::eek:

There's a lot of great suggestions here. A couple of things that I would add are to potentially bring any over-the-counter medication you might need that you don't normally take. For instance I pack motion sickness medication, even though I don't tend to get seasick, and I also bring aloe vera in case I get sunburnt.

Also, as others have mentioned bringing an alarm clock, I'd also suggest bringing a watch, or carry your cell phone around while on board. Sometimes, it can be difficult to know what time it is, because the ships don't always have clocks readily available.

Last Cruise I kept trying to get into the wrong cabin...:rolleyes::rolleyes:Those poor people :rolleyes::eek:

:') That's great! I did that when I moved to my very first apartment once. I got home at like 2AM and tried unlocking the wrong door. As I ran off realizing what I did someone yelled "HELLO?!" :')

There's a lot of great suggestions here. A couple of things that I would add are to potentially bring any over-the-counter medication you might need that you don't normally take. For instance I pack motion sickness medication, even though I don't tend to get seasick, and I also bring aloe vera in case I get sunburnt.

Also, as others have mentioned bringing an alarm clock, I'd also suggest bringing a watch, or carry your cell phone around while on board. Sometimes, it can be difficult to know what time it is, because the ships don't always have clocks readily available.

:') That's great! I did that when I moved to my very first apartment once. I got home at like 2AM and tried unlocking the wrong door. As I ran off realizing what I did someone yelled "HELLO?!" :')

:o:o:'):')

A great reason TO put them next to a magnet and deactivate them. GM does not need to know where and when I am driving. Big brother!

There have been at least a couple of cases with BMWs where the owner reported the car stolen, was asked to provide the key (to provethat it had not been left in the car, allowing it to be stolen), and then, when the stored information was downloaded from the key, was prosecuted for insurance fraud because it showed the key had been used in the car after it was reported stolen.

While I have not conducted tests specifically for car keys, I would assume the probability of damage from refrigerator-magnet type fields would be small. Similar to what one would expect with a USB drive, it would seem that a more powerful magnet is required to corrupt the stored data.

Although running those tests sounds like a fun way to spend a weekend...as long as I use someone else's keys.

We take a light weight over the door Xmas wreath hangar. It has enough strength to hold your rain jackets or windbreakers. You can usually find several spots in the cabin to hang it.

We use the magnet hooks others have mentioned to hold hats or other lighter weight items.

We have also found that the inexpensive square bottom reusable shopping bags are great to use for extra storage around the cabin or on a shelf. Also makes a great inexpensive beach bag or a dirty clothes hamper.

This is just a vacation hack I use for both land and cruise vacays. I use the 3 prong paper binders filled with clear sheet protectors at the front and regular 3 hole paper in the back. Pockets get filled according to the order needed, so airline tix would be first followed by pre-cruise hotel etc. then my cruise docs, excursion confirmations, etc. i leave several empty to put the dailies in when we’re finished along with port maps, sight seeing brochures, etc. on the regular paper I jot down thoughts or journal each day. End of vacay I have a compact souvenir already made...

• Thanks 1

I see this a lot, but I didn't have good luck with it on our cruise last year. (Carnival Ecstasy) I bought heavy duty magnetic hooks. They stuck to the wall just fine until I tried to use it. Then it slid down the wall.

I wasn't even hanging something heavy. A lightweight sweater, I believe. It was very disappointing.

I bought some great magnets for our last cruise from Amazon. They easily held wet bathing suits without sliding down the wall. I can't say if they actually held 18 lbs but they held very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018LEN67U/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This hanging organizer was great for shoes and other little things:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QMMUJ0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

we bring a large laundry bag for storing dirties. we bring a power strip for extra outlets (seems to be that some have these confiscated, we never have). i like to bring a travel pack of bleach wipes for giving everything the once over and periodically doing doorknobs during the week to help ward off norovirus. otherwise, we dont find we really need to bring anythign extra. storage is never an issue for us since there is only ever 2 of us in the cabin.