Man overboard on Norwegian Star

Seafoam Sally

If you're talking about the Housatonic - that's probably true! LOL! Although this was a...ahem...VERY long time ago, given that I was a teenager and now I'm...decidedly not. ;p So the water quality may not have been so bad back then. (However, I do believe it's still something of a teenage rite-of-passage in Newtown, so obviously some kids are still braving the icky waters!)
I probably shouldn't talk - probably about the same time you were going into the Housatonic, I was going in the CT river in Hartford. Oh to be young and dumb again :)

She must be a very good actress because she didn't look that stressed out or trumatized in front of TV camera and those pictures in the news article.

My comment that you used as a quote was not referring to this current NCL person who went overboard but to one a couple of years ago on the QM2.

you can die from exposure in any water below your core body temp, it just takes longer.

Water TemperatureExpected Time Before Exhaustion or UnconsciousnessExpected Time of Survival(°F)(°C) 32.5°0.3°< 15 minutes45 minutes32.5–40°0.3–4.4°15 – 30 minutes30 – 90 minutes40–50°3.3–10°30 – 60 minutes1 – 3 hours50–60°10–15.6°1 – 2 hours1 – 6 hours60–70°15.6–21.1°2 – 7 hours2 – 40 hours70–80°21.1–26.7°3 – 12 hours3 hours – indefinite> 80°> 26.7°IndefiniteIndefinite

According to your own table there it says you live indefinite at 80degree. Am I reading correct.

According to your own table there it says you live indefinite at 80degree. Am I reading correct.

To be totally accurate it says 70-80 3-12 hours. They said the water temp was 80. 3-12 is a prett. It range though but it can happen

Although it doesn't seem to be the case here it's worth pointing out to the "BAN THEM!" people that in a large number of women overboard cases it turns out partners have pushed/thrown them overboard sadly. Just another, more inventive, form of violence against women.

I am so sorry that there are seemingly angry individuals who feel the need to slam and belittle you. I appreciate that you at least have another option to offer vs. she was stupid and “drunk.” Who knows the truth in this case - I think that was your point. As a mental health professional, I completely agree there are many reasons it happens (including murder, as we know it has happened, and suicide attempts). I would have sympathy before indicting her, that seems fair. Some people have no humanity. And then there are those suggesting maybe she was off having wine and having a good laugh before returning and getting her lawsuit ready! :rolleyes:

Edited by 2Beeze

Although it doesn't seem to be the case here it's worth pointing out to the "BAN THEM!" people that in a large number of women overboard cases it turns out partners have pushed/thrown them overboard sadly. Just another, more inventive, form of violence against women.

You talk as this is a common occurrence when in fact it’s statistically rare

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To be totally accurate it says 70-80 3-12 hours. They said the water temp was 80. 3-12 is a prett. It range though but it can happen

Yes, but the table said 80 and above you're good and temp of water was 80 so it's indefinite. OP said anything below body temp- you die eventually.

I saw this today from a maritime attorney who I must presume knows more about this topic than all of us (except perhaps the random narcissist running about tossing fire LOL) -

‘Miami-based maritime attorney Jim Walker, an industry watchdog, says man-overboard incidents are not simple cases of “falling” or getting swept off a deck by the wind.

“In my assessment,” he said, “alcohol is involved in about 40 percent of the cases. Ten percent are suicides. The remaining 50 percent are mysteries with a high percentage of these cases involving foul play. The most likely scenario we have seen are men throwing women overboard.” ‘

Good news: the passenger was found alive, thankfully!

We received the announcement that there was a passenger overboard a little past 6 in the morning, that it occurred overnight and we had returned to the location for search and rescue. Around 8 the captain notified us that he was suspending the search and rescue and heading back to Venice, but the Croatian coast guard would take over. Around 11-12 we received the good news that the passenger was found alive and flown to Croatia to receive treatment. It is now almost 2 but we are finally arriving in Venice.

Wonderful news! How terrifying it would be to be lost in the ocean!

So one from 30 years ago (the husband was due to be released last year), and another 22 years later.

And the first was likely to not have survived the beatings he had already administered and he threw her near-dead body overboard. It doesn't happen a "good percentage" of anything.

Drunks and suicides do this.

What's your point ? You said in an earlier post that you couldn't find any mention on the internet of husbands throwing wives overboard. You've now been provided with two news accounts of that happening, and one recent second-hand account from the QM2.

It may not happen often, but it has happened. End of story.

Of course you can fall off a ship.

Just sit on a balcony railing whilst pissed and lean back.

Take out the “ed” and add an “ing” and you have the American young man who decided to stand on the railing to take care of business while holding on to something. Evidently he let go.

Luckily for him he was able to tread water till dawn when he could see an island. He swam to it and was picked up later by a fishing boat.

I don’t think anyone even knew he was gone, so no one looking for him.

I can't even begin today imagine treading water in the vast, deep, dark open ocean for 10 hours. All I would be thinking about was the thousands of fish and other sea creatures brushing against my body. When it comes to the beach, I go in *maybe* thigh high. That's it. Even waist deep is too deep.

Anyway, no matter what or how it happened, I am glad she was found ok.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

What's your point ? You said in an earlier post that you couldn't find any mention on the internet of husbands throwing wives overboard. You've now been provided with two news accounts of that happening, and one recent second-hand account from the QM2.

It may not happen often, but it has happened. End of story.

Two accounts, 22 years apart. That is rare.

Amazing how some people feel the need to invent stories that are not supported by facts, then double down each time they are proven wrong.

The QM2 is story is false. No one was "charged" with anything. Deal with it.

"On December 22, 2016, a 74-year-old female passenger was reported missing and presumably fell overboard. The elderly woman (of British origin) went overboard in the Atlantic Ocean. The ship was en-route from NYC to Caribbean (St Maarten Island), approx 100 ml (160 km) southeast of Atlantic City NJ. AIS data showed at ~8 am, the cruise liner turning around and moving north to retract its path. The USCG sent a C-130 airplane and a HH-60 Jayhawk helicopter in the area, but the body was never found."

Edited by billslowsky

I am so sorry that there are seemingly angry individuals who feel the need to slam and belittle you. I appreciate that you at least have another option to offer vs. she was stupid and “drunk.” Who knows the truth in this case - I think that was your point. As a mental health professional, I completely agree there are many reasons it happens (including murder, as we know it has happened, and suicide attempts). I would have sympathy before indicting her, that seems fair. Some people have no humanity. And then there are those suggesting maybe she was off having wine and having a good laugh before returning and getting her lawsuit ready! :rolleyes:

She was stupid and drunk. Stop with the false narrative.

There's a great deal of talk on these boards about disembarkation from ships, times to airports, making flights and so on.

Aside from the cost of the ship turning and the coastguard effecting her rescue, who picks up the cost if passengers missed flights or other travel connections as a result of the "fall" (and let's be honest it seems unlikely she was pushed so either jumped on purpose or was fooling around).

And then what about the passengers on the next departing cruise - their holiday had also been messed around and plans for boarding had to change and costs would have been incurred for meals or changed transport!

I suppose many will have insurance companies to deal with many of these issues - however if insurance didn't cover my expenses or if I was actually the insurance company I would be pursuing this woman for recompense.

It will be interesting to see what happens.

And yes, I'm glad no-one died, of course.

Right on the mark!!!

Two accounts, 22 years apart. That is rare.

Amazing how some people feel the need to invent stories that are not supported by facts, then double down each time they are proven wrong.

The QM2 is story is false. No one was "charged" with anything. Deal with it.

Yes, it is rare. And it shouldn't happen at all.

I saw this today from a maritime attorney who I must presume knows more about this topic than all of us (except perhaps the random narcissist running about tossing fire LOL) -

‘Miami-based maritime attorney Jim Walker, an industry watchdog, says man-overboard incidents are not simple cases of “falling” or getting swept off a deck by the wind.

“In my assessment,” he said, “alcohol is involved in about 40 percent of the cases. Ten percent are suicides. The remaining 50 percent are mysteries with a high percentage of these cases involving foul play. The most likely scenario we have seen are men throwing women overboard.” ‘

[/quote

And a few years ago, the wife is thought to have her husband over the rail, whilst on their honeymoon.