Man overboard on Norwegian Star

Seafoam Sally

How someone can survive so long is indeed a mystery - and amazing.

But I've always wondered how those who search can actually find someone if they've lost eyesight, and even worse, if they've sailed away some distance and need to "go back".

I realize that with GPS, they can get locations pretty good these days, but still... the person isn't going to stay in that exact place, with water movement, etc.

Also, if they can't note the *exact* time of going overboard (as if there were some sensor), then how accurate/helpful can the GPS be in this case?

GC

you have the incident datum and will conduct a search using whatever pattern is best according to weather and tide conditions these include expanding square creeping line ahead etc plus ship will return on a recipocal heading to datum position , done it often but seldom with sucess

I wonder if all you men braying for blood would be doing the same if it was a man who jumped “fell” overboard? We don’t know what or why she did or did not do and what is your problem with it ? So what if the ship was delayed they have a duty to look for them you lot would be up in arms if it was someone close to you and the captain said sorry I can’t look for them I’ve got a timetable to keep too!

Get a grip there are worst things to harp on about!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I didn't miss anything. His comment is irresponsible. Why bring up something totally unrelated - and unfounded - unless you have an agenda?

I'm pretty sure TheGinBoy was pointing out to the people that were quick to "ban" the passenger, including you, that there are often more details to a situation, and people should pause before making unfounded assumptions. He made no assumptions that she was pushed overboard, or that there was any foul play, or even that he knew the specifics of this particular case. His statements were general, yours, and others weren't.

The "ban" statements, and the statements about the woman being billed for the rescue effort were the irresponsible statements. We don't know how or why she fell overboard, we can only infer, but those statements imply that she was negligent in falling over board, and no one else was. Once the facts of the cases are known to the proper authorities, and if it's determined this woman was responsible, then that's the point at which a banning and/or bill to them should be considered, not before then.

I'm pretty sure TheGinBoy was pointing out to the people that were quick to "ban" the passenger, including you, that there are often more details to a situation, and people should pause before making unfounded assumptions. He made no assumptions that she was pushed overboard, or that there was any foul play, or even that he knew the specifics of this particular case. His statements were general, yours, and others weren't.

The "ban" statements, and the statements about the woman being billed for the rescue effort were the irresponsible statements. We don't know how or why she fell overboard, we can only infer, but those statements imply that she was negligent in falling over board, and no one else was. Once the facts of the cases are known to the proper authorities, and if it's determined this woman was responsible, then that's the point at which a banning and/or bill to them should be considered, not before then.

I agree. Well said. It's a miracle she survived at sea for 10 hours. Waiting like everyone else for more details. There has to be more to the story.

Totally agree. Ban this person from future cruises and present him with the bill for the rescue efforts.

Yes yes and yes to all written in the posts re falling overboard a ridiculous notion. In these days of "look at me, I want to be famous" it'd be silly to be naive to the situation. There use to be something called responsibility. People use to take it.

Irrespective of the circumstances here, Gynboy was only pointing out that a good percentage of those going overboard, do so at the hands of others. Why attack him so aggressive. I wonder if those so quick to ‘bite’ at others on these boards as as unpleasent in real life 🙄 There really is no need FFS!

He chose to "attack" people who believe that passengers who "accidentally" fall overboard should be banned. How do the costs for the search get paid for? How about the costs that any passengers incurred as the result of delays? What happens to those people who did nothing wrong yet are now out money?

He made a ridiculous assertion, with absolutely no evidence, that some "good percentage", particularly of women, are being assaulted by men.

Feel free to provide support for his assertion. Can you? If not, why make it? Why defend it?

I'm pretty sure TheGinBoy was pointing out to the people that were quick to "ban" the passenger, including you, that there are often more details to a situation, and people should pause before making unfounded assumptions.

The unfounded assumption is that a good percentage of women who go overboard are being assaulted by men. This woman had been interviewed before he ever posted and there was not even a suggestion of this.

People should pause before making unfounded assertions. Like you.

Ok, I will say it and Sorry to sound cold but I don’t waste my sorrow in people like this. It is IMPOSSIBLE to “fall” overboard unless you either want to or are being an idiot. There are plenty of other sad things in the world for me to concern myself about

I'm so glad you said this. I was going to say people don't just 'fall' overboard. But this being CC and all .... people most likely will jump down our throats for this forthrightness.

Yep, which is why these ships so desperately need to install a (wo)man overboard detection system to alert the bridge.

Why? These people who go over the rail ... go over deliberately and jump ... more often than not. OR they have imbibed so much that they somehow fall overboard? Again, no one knows how that is possible either as you have to climb up the railing to get over it.

Although it doesn't seem to be the case here it's worth pointing out to the "BAN THEM!" people that in a large number of women overboard cases it turns out partners have pushed/thrown them overboard sadly. Just another, more inventive, form of violence against women.

Very true. It is definitely a possibility to think about in some cases.

Why? These people who go over the rail ... go over deliberately and jump ... more often than not. OR they have imbibed so much that they somehow fall overboard? Again, no one knows how that is possible either as you have to climb up the railing to get over it.

You don't think these people deserve to be rescued?

Wow, didn't expect to have my post quoted in the Daily Mail!

The gossip I had heard on the boat before we got into Venice was that drinking was definitely involved and it was all on the CCTV. Hopefully the real story comes out. Truly impressed that she was able to survive 10 hours in the water. We arrived around 2:30 but did not get off the boat until about 5 or 5:30 as the Italian police came on the boat to do an investigation and interrogate her friends and family.

Sorry but maybe I am sceptical but just don’t buy this story. Having looked over the back of a cruise ship many many times I have been in awe as to how high it is and how tremendous the wake from the ship is. She looked like she had been in a spa when she stepped off the rescue ship. An enormous fall which probably caused internal injuries and 10 hours swimming? It just doesn’t make sense.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How did she manage to "fall overboard" from here ?b06bb2297f315eb1ab4d3b63c736a839.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Isn’t this picture more the side of the ship? If I remember the ‘back’ has fully enclosed railings whereas this looks like one of the sides...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure TheGinBoy was pointing out to the people that were quick to "ban" the passenger, including you, that there are often more details to a situation, and people should pause before making unfounded assumptions.

I agree this is likely what TheGinBoy was trying to communicate. But, he used an unsupported claim to do so. He should have just said something like "Although it doesn't seem to be the case here it's worth pointing out to the "BAN THEM!" people that it's possible the person was thrown overboard in an act of violence".