Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

Please explain this about the "Inclusive Amenities for all Guests".  This is part of what my confirmation says, " select standard spirits, International beers and wines ... bottled water, soft drinks, specialty coffees and teas".  Does this mean only at meals or anywhere/any time on the ship, and with room service?  Are these "international beers and wines good?  Is there a limit?

Edited by islandwoman
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Please explain this about the "Inclusive Amenities for all Guests".  This is part of what my confirmation says, " select standard spirits, International beers and wines ... bottled water, soft drinks, specialty coffees and teas".  Does this mean only at meals or anywhere/any time on the ship, and with room service?  Are these "international beers and wines good?  Is there a limit?

1. Anywhere/any time on the ship (except Atlas bar on the Onward).

2. Not with room service.

https://www.azamara.com/es/booked-guests/onboard-packages/complimentary-beverages?_aiid=14597&aqet=clk&idsite=12&teng=go&beng=g&deng=t&peng=&ieng=&kieng=&cieng=&cpieng=17143435092&feng=&cleng=Cj0KCQiAveebBhD_ARIsAFaAvrEfqjWUHho1H0FpEYIiMd_xp-dNjgZNept8icohZcc_sbOtqDEKkLkaApvxEALw_wcB&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=performance_max_non_brand&uid=~~c~_aimg_id~~&aqet=clk&idsite=107

• Thanks 1

Just off the Journey a couple of weeks ago in Greece. We brought wine on board in several ports without a problem. Also brought on a bottle of Scotch at a port. The corkage fee was $10 but some things were said that made me think that may be increasing. Given the reports of $15 that seems likely.

• Thanks 1

Interestingly, the entire post I saw on the other site has been removed - the original question is gone, along with all replies. It may have taken a downhill slide whilst I was sleeping last night! 

I can say that there is certainly no restriction on Onward on this cruise as far as bringing alcohol onboard.

@uktogare you boarding Onward in Miami? If so, I’m happy to get a more official clarification from someone appropriate on the ship.

Edited by lisiamc
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

Does Azamara still have "White Nights"?   Or maybe I should ask whether Azamara has White Nights again, since I read that White Nights had been changed to "Bright Nights".  By the way, what are "Bright Nights"?

Yes, White Nights are back.  Same format as before, outdoors weather permitting.  Save room for the Crêpes Suzette!

• Thanks 1

I just phoned Azamara to find out if there was a carry-on restriction of 2 wine bottles as there is with Celebrity and the woman responded that there is no such restriction on Azamara. So I guess we can bring whatever we want on board. Now the question is what do we bring haha. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, bcruiser said:

I do not see the list attached, Hate to ask but can you add it ? 

If you click on the bold "Anybody onboard currently?" title next to the brownish circle with the capital D in it, then the original post will show up with the three pdf files attached. The last one is the one with complementary wines list.

1 hour ago, bcruiser said:

I do not see the list attached, Hate to ask but can you add it ? 

Be aware those lists are very likely out of date, even though only from a few months ago. I'd be very content with the red wines shown on the Ultimate package on that pdf but I've discovered on a different thread more recently, they are not offered, which would be fine if the replacements were equally good, but they aren't.

I think at least for that package, it's going to be a bit of a lucky dip, depending on which ship and when you go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, federalexpress said:

Be aware those lists are very likely out of date, even though only from a few months ago. I'd be very content with the red wines shown on the Ultimate package on that pdf but I've discovered on a different thread more recently, they are not offered, which would be fine if the replacements were equally good, but they aren't.

I think at least for that package, it's going to be a bit of a lucky dip, depending on which ship and when you go.

I’m just hoping for some good Champagne!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JM0115 said:

I’m just hoping for some good Champagne!

Not so good on our recent Quest cruise. Champagne was Montaudon. I enjoyed the Domaine Chandon, though.

There seem to be differences between the ships probably due to supply issues.

Edited by Grandma Cruising

6 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Not so good on our recent Quest cruise. Champagne was Montaudon. I enjoyed the Domaine Chandon, though.

There seem to be differences between the ships probably due to supply issues.

We probably will wait until onboard to check what is available before we purchase a beverage package. Can we use our OBC onboard to do so? I assume yes because it is OBC but things seem to defy logic sometimes.

1 hour ago, JM0115 said:

We probably will wait until onboard to check what is available before we purchase a beverage package. Can we use our OBC onboard to do so? I assume yes because it is OBC but things seem to defy logic sometimes.

Although I've not yet cruised on Azamara (that comes in January) I've explored this topic extensively.

I believe you are correct, that you can use OBC to buy a beverage package (or other packages/services) when you are onboard but not before. I looked into buying an Indulgence package ahead of the cruise which among other things, included a drinks package and an excursion allowance. I wanted to use the latter to book an excursion before it ran out. I wanted to pay with OBC plus cash. No go, I was told it could only be done onboard.

From what I can see you can only use OBC pre cruise to book excursions. This made me question why. I concluded it is probably because by making you wait till you get onboard, they can change their pricing in the meantime to enhance their margins and/or deal with inflation pressures, especially given some people book a long way in advance. Hence the value of that OBC might decline over time. Excursions are accepted probably because they have already contracted these rates.

Otherwise they insist you buy anything else pre cruise with cash. While that restricts the margin/inflation opportunity referred to above, I guess they trade that off against the fact they have more upfront money, so it's good for cashflow, whereas OBC is not cashflow positive.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

Although I've not yet cruised on Azamara (that comes in January) I've explored this topic extensively.

I believe you are correct, that you can use OBC to buy a beverage package (or other packages/services) when you are onboard but not before. I looked into buying an Indulgence package ahead of the cruise which among other things, included a drinks package and an excursion allowance. I wanted to use the latter to book an excursion before it ran out. I wanted to pay with OBC plus cash. No go, I was told it could only be done onboard.

From what I can see you can only use OBC pre cruise to book excursions. This made me question why. I concluded it is probably because by making you wait till you get onboard, they can change their pricing in the meantime to enhance their margins and/or deal with inflation pressures, especially given some people book a long way in advance. Hence the value of that OBC might decline over time. Excursions are accepted probably because they have already contracted these rates.

Otherwise they insist you buy anything else pre cruise with cash. While that restricts the margin/inflation opportunity referred to above, I guess they trade that off against the fact they have more upfront money, so it's good for cashflow, whereas OBC is not cashflow positive.

Good points. I have not sailed with Azamara yet. We are looking forward to doing so. I have $500 in OBC that I could use for excursions now but I purchased all my excursions before I got the extra OBC on their Black Friday sale. I could cancel the excursions I purchased and then repurchase them with OBC to use up the OBC which may be what I do but would hate to cancel them and then see that they are sold out. If I hold onto the OBC I will probably use it for the Ultimate Beverage Package on board. I am sure others have pondered the same. 

6 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

Good points. I have not sailed with Azamara yet. We are looking forward to doing so. I have $500 in OBC that I could use for excursions now but I purchased all my excursions before I got the extra OBC on their Black Friday sale. I could cancel the excursions I purchased and then repurchase them with OBC to use up the OBC which may be what I do but would hate to cancel them and then see that they are sold out. If I hold onto the OBC I will probably use it for the Ultimate Beverage Package on board. I am sure others have pondered the same. 

Plenty to spend it on onboard-beverage packages, laundry, specialty restaurants.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JM0115 said:

I gather there is a finesse you could try. You can cancel excursions without charge a set time in advance- I think 48 hours but you'd need to check. You could then in theory cancel any which are happening 2 plus days after you board, then immediately re-book those with the OBC you have. Your card should then be refunded. It is at the minimum worth asking once you get onboard.

The only reason I did not do this is the excursion I most wanted to reserve was one of the few that are non cancellable, a private driver in one of the ports. The annoying thing is I would have re-booked it onboard straight after cancelling it, but no, that didn't work for them, rules are rules. It's a bit over complicated really, there ought to be an easier way.....

11 minutes ago, federalexpress said:

I gather there is a finesse you could try. You can cancel excursions without charge a set time in advance- I think 48 hours but you'd need to check. You could then in theory cancel any which are happening 2 plus days after you board, then immediately re-book those with the OBC you have. Your card should then be refunded. It is at the minimum worth asking once you get onboard.

The only reason I did not do this is the excursion I most wanted to reserve was one of the few that are non cancellable, a private driver in one of the ports. The annoying thing is I would have re-booked it onboard straight after cancelling it, but no, that didn't work for them, rules are rules. It's a bit over complicated really, there ought to be an easier way.....

I think there are enough things to buy with my OBC on board other than Excursions which are bought and paid for. Beverage Package, Speciatly Dining, Chefs Table, Wine bottle packages, etc.  I tend to overthink things too much :).  Happy to have the extra $500 bonus and need to change my thinking to it being a bonus.

You can book excursions online with your OBC. Beverage packages, specialty restaurants are only bookable when you board. They typically set a desk in the Discovery restaurant to take the reservations. I do recommend you do it immediately upon boarding so you have your choice of dates. They will also know at that time when the White Night is scheduled so you can plan around it. Enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JM0115 said:

I think there are enough things to buy with my OBC on board other than Excursions which are bought and paid for. Beverage Package, Speciatly Dining, Chefs Table, Wine bottle packages, etc.  I tend to overthink things too much :).  Happy to have the extra $500 bonus and need to change my thinking to it being a bonus.

Yep that is true and if you do a mix of those, it should be a fun trip. Have a good time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, luv2travel90266 said:

You can book excursions online with your OBC. Beverage packages, specialty restaurants are only bookable when you board. They typically set a desk in the Discovery restaurant to take the reservations. I do recommend you do it immediately upon boarding so you have your choice of dates. They will also know at that time when the White Night is scheduled so you can plan around it. Enjoy your cruise. 

Main reservations desk is just inside the main entrance to Windows buffet on Deck 9.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

FYI fellow cruisers. I read on some previous posts about Azamara’s Black Friday sale. I contacted our travel agent - she maintained our same booking and room, but got an extra $500 OBC and significant money off our already booked cruise. Hope this helps someone! Happy cruising!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, loafin said:

FYI fellow cruisers. I read on some previous posts about Azamara’s Black Friday sale. I contacted our travel agent - she maintained our same booking and room, but got an extra $500 OBC and significant money off our already booked cruise. Hope this helps someone! Happy cruising!

Same here when I contacted my TA earlier this week.

• Like 1