Oceana/Malta fly cruise

July morning

I'm hoping someone who has been on one of these cruises can give me some information. As we all know we are allowed to take on board 1litre pp of alcohol but as we are flying in the EU you can't buy duty free at the airport (UK) or purchase on the plane so did they pack a bottle in their luggage or was there some place near the port that you could buy it?

We do like to have a drink in the cabin while dressing for dinner:D this is the only time we drink in the cabin and P&O don't sell our tipple via room service or in the bars that's why I drink wine or cocktails when on board :')

I'm hoping someone who has been on one of these cruises can give me some information. As we all know we are allowed to take on board 1litre pp of alcohol but as we are flying in the EU you can't buy duty free at the airport (UK) or purchase on the plane so did they pack a bottle in their luggage or was there some place near the port that you could buy it?

We do like to have a drink in the cabin while dressing for dinner:D this is the only time we drink in the cabin and P&O don't sell our tipple via room service or in the bars that's why I drink wine or cocktails when on board :')

There’s a duty free shop before you board - I’m sure you can get most spirits there. Wine was only Maltese though

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for you help. I think that's what I'll do and hope they have Morgans Spiced Rum! not the dark rum that is on the ships:rolleyes: I didn't really want to put a bottle in my case on the way out as knowing my luck something bad would happen!!

Just another little tip. There is a ‘duty free’ shop by the babbage collect at the airport - Don’t buy from there, well overpriced. We bought from the duty free shop mentioned before which you get to just after going through the security scanning at the port. Much better prices!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for you help. I think that's what I'll do and hope they have Morgans Spiced Rum! not the dark rum that is on the ships:rolleyes: I didn't really want to put a bottle in my case on the way out as knowing my luck something bad would happen!!

We had Morgans Spiced Rum on Oceana last time we were on her.

Correct, we took on a litre of gin and a litre of vodka between 2 of us, no issues

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow! I’m a RCCI cruiser and fancying a change next year and just trying to learn a few things about P&O before I ‘jump ship’. Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Worth stressing you can only bring alcohol on like this on first boarding (so for a med fly cruise) bringing on in Malta is fine. After that the official policy is same as RCCI in that they will take it from you when coming back on the ship and give it back at end of the cruise

Worth stressing you can only bring alcohol on like this on first boarding (so for a med fly cruise) bringing on in Malta is fine. After that the official policy is same as RCCI in that they will take it from you when coming back on the ship and give it back at end of the cruise

Understood. With RCCI its only 2 bottles of wine per cabin so the gin is a much better deal for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP. You can buy at the UK airport, you just won't pay the duty free price. You will pay the 'normal' price, which may well be more than a UK supermarket!

If ther is a particular drink you want buy it in a UK supermarket and take it with you in your suitcase.

Just back from this cruise and thought I’d like to contribute after reading so much useful information on this forum.

I can confirm the duty free just before boarding was very cheap. 10 Euro for a 700ml bottle of Jameson in my case.

We never put the new alcohol policy to the test but our bags were never searched (by P&O) in any port, and I didn’t see anyone else’s bag searched either when boarding. So if you see a bottle you really fancy in port you might get away with taking it to your room, but then again you might not :)

Just back from this cruise and thought I’d like to contribute after reading so much useful information on this forum.

I can confirm the duty free just before boarding was very cheap. 10 Euro for a 700ml bottle of Jameson in my case.

We never put the new alcohol policy to the test but our bags were never searched (by P&O) in any port, and I didn’t see anyone else’s bag searched either when boarding. So if you see a bottle you really fancy in port you might get away with taking it to your room, but then again you might not :)

Did they not use an x-ray scanner on the bags when you reboarded the ship? Bags, could therefore be checked for alcohol, but not physically searched.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

We did this cruise in June and yes, bags did go through a scanner as we boarded the ship at each port (by P&O). Exceptions were ports where bags were scanned by the Port Authority scanners in which case, P&O didn't do a repeat scan on the ship.

At Malta on embarkation our bags were scanned in port before boarding. Not certain but think the duty free shop was after this scan which would then allow you to buy alcohol without it being scanned. I think port scans were also at Athens but can't remember any others.