Summit Diverting For Medical Evac

njaloha

Marine Traffic shows the last position update for the Summit was 1 hours ago. :(

Oops, that was supposed to be 11 hours, not 1!

They have always done that for safety purposes, I remember years ago going to Bermuda with three ships like a parade.

What threats could there be in that part of the Atlantic, other than the Bermuda Triangle?!

The one I am referring to happened off the Queensland Coast... it did not affect the cruise or anything and was handled surperbly by the captain...

I know one happened 2-3 weeks before our cruise where Solstice had left Melbourne bound for Milford Sound but had to turn around and go back to Melborne for a medical emergency - because they were too far out at sea for a Helicopter to reach... the Captain then had to abort the planned trip to the Sounds and this apparently angered many passengers who had paid to go on the cruise specifically to see the Sounds in Fiordland NZ

Yes I was on that cruise where the Captain turned back to Melbourne. Most passengers were very disappointed about missing the NZ Sounds but were understanding. There were a few angry voices too but not a lot the captain could do- he made the right call for safety and for the passenger.

Oops, that was supposed to be 11 hours, not 1!

What threats could there be in that part of the Atlantic, other than the Bermuda Triangle?!

Just being cautious for safety reasons, if you think about it makes absolute sense with no downside. One threat might be fire, also person overboard. Don’t necessarily need an outside threat although the Andrea Doriandid sink in that area.

I know this is probably a silly question, and the main concern is getting medical treatment for the patient, but I'm wondering who pays for the medical evacuation of a crew member? I know that a lot of us have insurance to cover medical evacuation and treatment for ourselves, but I'm wondering about the crew. I certainly hope that Celebrity steps up to the plate and covers all expenses for the crew member.

No worries, all crew members are fully covered for the duration of their working contract. That includes travelling to the ship and back home. Most cruise cruise lines pay a lot of medical costs directly before the insurance steps in. However, no risk for all crew members.

We had a passenger medically evacuated with appendicitis one day out of Baltimore on the Grandeur of the Seas....we had front row seats from our balcony and scariest part (to me) was that chopper couldn't land....they dropped a bucket stretcher We and 2 coast guardsmen and hauled her and her husband up in 2 trips....she was taken to Naval Base in Virginia Beach for surgery. I think I would have died before we got to the chopper! At least we know crewmember will receive top notch medical treatment.

Did this change the overall schedule, or was Captain Harris able to make up the time?

Probably would not affect the schedule, they were due in in Wed. Morning. Remember the ships used to get to Bermuda in a day and a half. The only reason they take two and a half days now is docking space. Probably not happy about the fuel used but it was necessary.

We should be very grateful for the Coast Guard.

We had a passenger medically evacuated with appendicitis one day out of Baltimore on the Grandeur of the Seas....we had front row seats from our balcony and scariest part (to me) was that chopper couldn't land....they dropped a bucket stretcher We and 2 coast guardsmen and hauled her and her husband up in 2 trips....she was taken to Naval Base in Virginia Beach for surgery. I think I would have died before we got to the chopper! At least we know crewmember will receive top notch medical treatment.

Somewhere between typing and posting my comment was altered!!! WE did not assist CG in hauling passenger and her husband off the ship. We WATCHED as the CG did all the work!!!! Sorry if anyone mistook my post.

I know this is probably a silly question, and the main concern is getting medical treatment for the patient, but I'm wondering who pays for the medical evacuation of a crew member? I know that a lot of us have insurance to cover medical evacuation and treatment for ourselves, but I'm wondering about the crew. I certainly hope that Celebrity steps up to the plate and covers all expenses for the crew member.

This is an employee and Celebrity will cover the costs.

The Summit must be in a bad cycle. Last week the Captain came on and said were slowing down on the way to Bermuda to medevac a passenger off the ship. In an hour we did not have the medevac and we sped up. About midnight on Tuesday we saw the lights of Bermuda, 8 hours before docking time. At 1am we saw a bright light and noticed a pilot boat tying up to the Summit. About 20 minutes later the pilot boat sped away.

The next morning we docked right on time at 8:30am. We were told by another passenger that the medevac was cancelled due to the ill passenger passing away. We were told it was a 13 year old boy who had an aneurysm in the gym. Very sad.

The Summit must be in a bad cycle. Last week the Captain came on and said were slowing down on the way to Bermuda to medevac a passenger off the ship. In an hour we did not have the medevac and we sped up. About midnight on Tuesday we saw the lights of Bermuda, 8 hours before docking time. At 1am we saw a bright light and noticed a pilot boat tying up to the Summit. About 20 minutes later the pilot boat sped away.

The next morning we docked right on time at 8:30am. We were told by another passenger that the medevac was cancelled due to the ill passenger passing away. We were told it was a 13 year old boy who had an aneurysm in the gym. Very sad.

OMG....13 years old??? That's is so sad. :loudcry: