No kids under 18 will be allowed onViking Rivercruises

sail7seas

I believe the Oceania ships are similar to Viking in that unlike the mainstream lines they do not have space allocated for various aged kid's clubs. The Viking ships, cultural seminars, entertainment, no kid's staff, etc are not conducive to kids. Therefore, I believe it is an entirely reasonable business practice to state that their product is not consistent with the needs of young kids.

If Oceania do accept kids, I can only hope they provide something of interest to younger kids. Not sure about the newer ships, but I highly doubt the smaller R-class ships have kid's activities, kid's staff, etc.

When we wish to take our grandson on a cruise, we will pick a cruise for him, which will mean having to skip Viking for that particular cruise.

See post #26.

Is it only for Alaska, or do all cruises have kids programs

Definitely not "all cruises" (or even "many"). But, the presence of families with kids is increasing on the shorter summer cruises (Alaska/Med). I also seem to remember an occasional "kids sail free" promo.

Since you are close to shore and reasonable medical care, I can see this.

Depending on the country, no prescriptions may be needed. And in a lot of countries, doctor diagnose, and give you the diagnosis on a piece of paper, the pharmacist determines the course of treatment.

Which makes sense, as pharmacists undergo rigorous training on DRUGS. Very demanding technical training.

Oh yes, it does make sense for sure. Just something I never thought about. But again, my parents said they're very clear on this in their documents.

Definitely not "all cruises" (or even "many"). But, the presence of families with kids is increasing on the shorter summer cruises (Alaska/Med). I also seem to remember an occasional "kids sail free" promo.

Thanks for clarification. However, unless the cruise line is supplying some staff and kid friendly activities, I think I prefer Viking's business model of saying this environment isn't suitable for kids.

If we took our grandson, who is almost 4, without staff and/or activities it means we are providing the entertainment or keeping him busy. That means no rest for us. Also when kids get bored they tend to misbehave.

Just my opinion.

Honestly, my parents just came back from one and we asked about taking our 15 year old on one. They said he really wouldn't enjoy it. I realize, there are some who would, but in general, it's really not geared towards most teens. They told us all the different things they did and there just really isn't anything for entertainment geared towards kids. And our son loves history and would love all the ports, but there are other ways to see those things. So I'm not that surprised by it.

The other thing I discovered is they don't have any medical personnel on board their ships. There is just so little room for crew. My parents were telling me about a woman who got stung by a bee and was having a reaction, or some pain. They told her where the nearest pharmacy was, as they were still in port. They also told her a ship crew member could go with her if needed. And correct me if I'm wrong, but apparently European pharmacists can actually prescribe medications.

Europe as a continent does not have one set of rules. It is made up of several countries who all have their own rules regarding what pharmacists can and cannot do.

I'm not sure how to break this to you, but a limited youth program on just 5 sailings to one destination does not qualify Oceania as a kid friendly cruise line. Nice try though.

FYI- when people speak of kid friendly cruiselines, they are generally referring to those where most, if not all, ships are always equipped and staffed to handle children from potty trained toddlers to teens.

Viking is obviously trying to appeal to a certain demographic. One that doesn't include children. I hope it works for them. We may give it a try soon.

I'm not sure how to break this to you, but a limited youth program on just 5 sailings to one destination does not qualify Oceania as a kid friendly cruise line. Nice try though.

FYI- when people speak of kid friendly cruiselines, they are generally referring to those where most, if not all, ships are always equipped and staffed to handle children from potty trained toddlers to teens.

Viking is obviously trying to appeal to a certain demographic. One that doesn't include children. I hope it works for them. We may give it a try soon.

Perhaps you forgot that we're talking about kid friendly "premium/luxury lines."

Thanks for clarification. However, unless the cruise line is supplying some staff and kid friendly activities, I think I prefer Viking's business model of saying this environment isn't suitable for kids.

If we took our grandson, who is almost 4, without staff and/or activities it means we are providing the entertainment or keeping him busy. That means no rest for us. Also when kids get bored they tend to misbehave.

Just my opinion.

I agree! Our son didn't cruise for the first time until he was a pre-teen, but even then, he wanted to be with other kids his age. He wanted to see the things we went to, but he also wanted down time to just hang and be a kid. Not all cruise lines offer the same things, so we cruise on ships that will cater to him as well. He's loved every single one!

VO is not the only cruise line to operate adult only ships, as I believe P&O - UK has 50% of the fleet as 18+. Another 18+ line is Saga Cruises.

As mentioned, Saga is 50+ years; there's also Cruise and Maritime (which I believe you've sailed on..), which is adult only, except for, I think, one ship which allows children in August; Fred Olsen has some child free cruises- I've been on one- but on my most recent Fred cruise, in the middle of the school holidays, only had about 50 children on board. :)

PS. P&O has sold one of its adult only ships, Oriana, but as these cruises are so popular, they are turning family- friendly Aurora into adult only next year.

Well.....I applaud Viking. They just became my #1 choice for my first river cruise. :)

I wouldn't limit my choice to Viking based on this policy. I've done 2 river cruises on Uniworld, and there no children on either one. We docked next to other ships, and again, no children.

Roz

I witnessed a discussion in a hopital with four mD's, deciding treatment for a patient and went back and forth until ones aid , call down to pharmacy and get a pharmacist's thoughst. . They did......