Bliss...why such a mediocre itinerary?

CruisingNole

I’ve never been to Tampa and it looks beautiful in the pics. But the problem is that it’s a hassle to get there overland if you’re visiting eastern Florida by plane, because it’s eirher a 5 hour drive, or plane ride. So most people visiting Florida choose to do the east side or the west side, but not both. A cruise from Miami to Tampa would take care of that.

As for Havana, I don’t see the issue. When I went to Cuba, I just got my passport stamped at the airport and voilà. I think there was a $20 US fee which was paid on arrival to the border control agent, but other than that it was painless. I don’t think it would work any differently whether you arrive by plane or boat.

I’ve never been to Tampa and it looks beautiful in the pics. But the problem is that it’s a hassle to get there overland if you’re visiting eastern Florida by plane, because it’s eirher a 5 hour drive, or plane ride. So most people visiting Florida choose to do the east side or the west side, but not both. A cruise from Miami to Tampa would take care of that.

As for Havana, I don’t see the issue. When I went to Cuba, I just got my passport stamped at the airport and voilà. I think there was a $20 US fee which was paid on arrival to the border control agent, but other than that it was painless. I don’t think it would work any differently whether you arrive by plane or boat.

I am not sure if a Bliss sized ship can fit under Sunshine Skyway bridge in and out of Tampa.

And sorry To complicate things further, but if I’m not mistaken, Cuba doesn’t impose restrictions on many nationalities from entering its country. I think it is other countries (“democracies”) who make it complicated and force their citizens to apply for “permission” to seek leave of their country for the purpose of visiting Cuba.

It’s Interesting, because one of the only other countries that comes to mind which has restrictions on its citizens leaving freely is North Korea.

I am not sure if a Bliss sized ship can fit under Sunshine Skyway bridge in and out of Tampa.

I was on the Bliss and been on the skyway countless times. I doubt it's safe to sail a ship that size under the bridge. The center span height would clear, the width would be dangerous.

I was hoping to sail Bliss while she’s in Miami but was shocked that the only itinerary offered is 7 day to, of all places, Virgin Islands and NASSAU. Really? Come on NCL. I might consider those ports for a quick booze cruise but 7 nights on Bliss? What a waste. Definitely won’t waste my money on that.

Any recommendations for something a little more exciting out of Florida on one of the shinier NCL toys? I was eyeing Joy Panama Canal for 2019 but the prices are through the roof.

Those happen to be the most common ports for many ships sailing out of Miami. I think you have probably cruised enough to know this. As the years go by I am sure the Bliss, like other ships will have different ports.

If I am on a cruise, I would not want to go for one Florida port to another, a couple of hundred miles apart. Maybe that just me.

NOLA is interesting, but it is an 8 hour transit each way down the Mississippi which is all lost revenue.

The ship does do 2 Panama Canal transits a year. They need to fill the ship to pay the toll.

The Bliss does do longer southern cruises out of New York.

Cartagena is gorgeous, and I hope you are able to get there.

We've completed a lot of cruises, and have chosen all of them based upon itinerary. This means that so far we have sailed on exactly zero nice, shiny new ships. We have seen quite a collection of older ships, and in general it is quite pleasant and relaxing to sail these ships.

As the current round of new ship building is completed, it's possible that we may eventually get to sail a newer ship (for example we sailed the baltics 4 years ago on the Star, and now NCL has newer ships on that route - which leads to a separate problem since they seem to have difficulty docking directly in Stockholm). I am hopeful that in the longer term I will eventually get to sail a newer ship, but make the best of it since the ports are most important to my family (and I understand no one wants to book a cruise to Nassau on a ship with limited amenities but passengers will deal with it if that means they get a chance to see St. Petersburg or Havana).

Stop asking questions and/or suggesting NCL does anything other than the best of the best. The cheerleaders will get very upset.

Stop asking questions and/or suggesting NCL does anything other than the best of the best. The cheerleaders will get very upset.

So, Nole,,,, The question is simple. What ports would you like the Bliss to call on? You have already said that you hate Nassau. I have already said that I would not be interested in a cruise of Floridian ports. What other ports, on a 7-day cruise, would you like to see?

Hmmmm....teleportation/portal technology, I see...

I'll take a balcony in that case. Dock runners will definitely run faster because if they miss the ship...:')[/quoteI

I assure you nothing but floating ship...

Leave Miami. Through the Panama Canal. Across the Pacific to Hawaii. North to Alaska, Around the tip of South America to Argentina. Take the Atlantic back to Nassau before heading home to Miami.

The ship will have to average just over 200 miles an hour while underway to cover the just over 26,000 miles of the trip. I assumed 6 hours in each port with a velocity of 0 miles per hour.

Now if you were to encounter rough seas at 200 MPH I suppose flight might not be fully out of the question!

But I guess this really raises a bigger question... do people take cruises mainly to experience the ship? Or is it just a cheaper and easier way to visit a bunch of cities in a week than flying?

Many people who do European med cruises would say, "I'm doing it to see the cities! the ship is the just the place I sleep and eat on to get there".

But I guess this really raises a bigger question... do people take cruises mainly to experience the ship? Or is it just a cheaper and easier way to visit a bunch of cities in a week than flying?

Many people who do European med cruises would say, "I'm doing it to see the cities! the ship is the just the place I sleep and eat on to get there".

I do both. So I do like to keep the ports fresh. In fact I am on the Bliss BECAUSE of this itinerary. Having never been to Nassau I needed to see why it was considered so bad.

This has been discussed before. Nobody knows.

Cruise lines are building ships “for millennials.” Apparently, millennials want rope courses, go karts, laser tag and all the other crap that now clutters up the upper decks of the larger ships.

I don’t use any of that, so I think it’s a complete waste of space. I also don’t really want to be around four thousand people when I can be around two thousand instead.

My assumption is that if people are playing on the big ship’s toys all day, it really doesn’t matter what the ports are - which is lucky, since big floating hotels can’t dock at many of the smaller, more interesting, less commercial ports.

This is unfortunate for those of us who don’t want to go to Cozumel (west) or St Thomas (east) every bloody cruise.

Some ports are working on expanding their facilities to handle the larger ships, but it won’t happen overnight.

That’s my understanding of hot new ship = boring old ports.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Maybe "boring old ports" has more to do with the fact most cruisers probably don't cruise all that much. So who cares if they hit Nassau or St Thomas once every few years?

The challenge that I see is that there are people who do cruise annually - we go on a cruise every Christmas. When we started nine years ago, I said, "I want a different ship every year, and I want different ports every year!" Well, best of luck with that, unless you change lines.

Now, part of it is the season, and I recognize that, and we did have a couple of really nice Southern Caribbean cruises in the past few years, but if you want to go on a new ship at Christmas, you're going to the Big Three in the East or the Big Three in the West. That's it.

So, I assume megaships are built for people kicking the tires, trying a cruise instead of a resort, wondering if they're going to get seasick. They don't care where they're going -- they're "on a cruise."

The older ships get more interesting itineraries, longer routes, and different ports because the people that sail them care where they're going -- not how they get there.

So, if you say to yourself, "I want to sail on the Bliss!", you've discounted where you are going. If you say, "I really want to do the ABCs again", your ship may be chosen for you.

Do you want them to chose your ship or your ports?

The challenge that I see is that there are people who do cruise annually - we go on a cruise every Christmas. When we started nine years ago, I said, "I want a different ship every year, and I want different ports every year!" Well, best of luck with that, unless you change lines.

Now, part of it is the season, and I recognize that, and we did have a couple of really nice Southern Caribbean cruises in the past few years, but if you want to go on a new ship at Christmas, you're going to the Big Three in the East or the Big Three in the West. That's it.

So, I assume megaships are built for people kicking the tires, trying a cruise instead of a resort, wondering if they're going to get seasick. They don't care where they're going -- they're "on a cruise."

The older ships get more interesting itineraries, longer routes, and different ports because the people that sail them care where they're going -- not how they get there.

So, if you say to yourself, "I want to sail on the Bliss!", you've discounted where you are going. If you say, "I really want to do the ABCs again", your ship may be chosen for you.

Do you want them to chose your ship or your ports?

I fly to Nassau at least once a year for vacation. As do hundreds of thousands of others. I really think the "can't visit the same port twice" people are a very small yet vocal crowd. Spending a day or two at the same destination is pretty normal vacationing practice for most people.

I love mega ships and I care where I'm going. But the same way I can visit Disney more than once, or hang out on a favorite beach more than once, I can certainly find an amazing activity more than once at the same port. As I'm sure a vast majority of cruisers feel as well. I'd be willing to bet that the people who scream the loudest about the same ports, haven't done but a fraction of the activities at these ports. Many of these ports have 40+ sponsored excursions and countless private options....

There is plenty of cruise options that visit nearly every port in the Caribbean. Just go with a boutique line of that is very important to you.

• Like 1

New lines, new ports, new ships is what we prefer every year. Last year it was Carnival, this year MSC, next year NCL, 2020 is Celebrity. The Bliss was Panama Canal so that fit right in. Staying on the same cruise line, going to the same ports on even the same ships is something some cruisers do, not us. That would get rather boring and the excitement of cruising is new new new, not been there done that. I think the Encore itinerary is worse.

Were doing the Nassau/St Thomas/Tortola itinerary in February. We’re doing this cruise solely for the ship. The first time we’ve ever done that.

But for us the ship is a bigger draw than any of the ports. We’ve been to Nassau 7 times. St Thomas once. Tortola never. We’re going to get off the boat in Nassau to buy some rum. Then we’re treating it as a sea day and exploring the ship. I’m eager to get back to St Thomas & to see Tortola. But really, I’m only there for the ship.

I fly to Nassau at least once a year for vacation. As do hundreds of thousands of others. I really think the "can't visit the same port twice" people are a very small yet vocal crowd. Spending a day or two at the same destination is pretty normal vacationing practice for most people.

I love mega ships and I care where I'm going. But the same way I can visit Disney more than once, or hang out on a favorite beach more than once, I can certainly find an amazing activity more than once at the same port. As I'm sure a vast majority of cruisers feel as well. I'd be willing to bet that the people who scream the loudest about the same ports, haven't done but a fraction of the activities at these ports. Many of these ports have 40+ sponsored excursions and countless private options....

There is plenty of cruise options that visit nearly every port in the Caribbean. Just go with a boutique line of that is very important to you.

It's not that important to me. My point was that my stated original goal in unobtainable without changing cruise habits and being ready to sail at any time. If the only time you have is Christmas, you have what you can take.

There is another small but vocal group that are always bitching the "new ships never come here." Well, New York got a new ship -- dedicated to the city -- and then bitched that it was old, so they got another one, and it's still just going to Bermuda or Florida and the Bahamas. So, some people care about the ship a lot more than the destination.

My only point was -- to the original question of the thread -- new ships do old routes because people are sailing on them to be on a new ship and they don't care about where it goes.

I've been to Cozumel so many times, the shopkeepers meet my wife at the dock. It's like a second home. I don't mind that - there's always something to do there. I've given up on my original goal.

For all the people complaining about mediocre ports for the Bliss, why didn't you go to Alaska? We did, and it was an amazing trip. Sail down the West Coast. Do the Mexican Riviera. Do the Panama Canal.

If you limit yourself to only sailing from Miami and only sailing in the holidays, you're going to see a lot of repeated journeys. Don't be surprised.