Need a certain length of cruise to host meet and greet?

Peachypooh

I know that there is always the option of an unofficial meet and greet but

how about an official one with officers? The reason I am asking is that the

only 5 day cruise I ever took was on RCCL and they were told (at that time

it might have changed) that any cruise less than 7 days was not eligible to

ask the ship for an official meet and greet with officers, etc. What is NCL's

policy? Thanks.

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. I'm taking my first 5-day cruise in January 2019, and was going to try to set one up. However, the meet and greet is almost always the first sea day, and my cruise doesn't have a sea day. So I'm thinking they may not do one.

-- Michael

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I know that there is always the option of an unofficial meet and greet but

how about an official one with officers? The reason I am asking is that the

only 5 day cruise I ever took was on RCCL and they were told (at that time

it might have changed) that any cruise less than 7 days was not eligible to

ask the ship for an official meet and greet with officers, etc. What is NCL's

policy? Thanks.

There is no such thing as an unofficial or official M&G....they are all "official".

Keep in mind that the M&G is done to allow you to "meet" and "greet" the other Cruise Critic members from your roll call. Officers from the ship are not required by NCL to attend, and those who do attend, do so as a courtesy in the name of hospitality.

I've seen M&Gs on 2 night cruises to nowhere (when they still had those). I've seen a TON of officers attend, and I've seen only 3 attend. It varies by ship, by Captain, by HD, etc. They even have them on the Pride of America...and they have 0 sea days.

An "Unofficial" M&G is just a get together somewhere on the boat arranged through Cruise Critic.

NCL will arrange a M&G for you if you have a "reasonable" number of people who you say are committed to attend. While they are usually at 11am on the first sea day NCL will try to do one when you ask for it.

i was on the Sky for 4 nights in Feb. There wasn't a CC meet and greet.

Why not? Did NCL refuse to allow it, was there no interest from your roll call, or was there no organizer from your roll call willing to make it happen?

There is no such thing as an unofficial or official M&G....they are all "official".

Keep in mind that the M&G is done to allow you to "meet" and "greet" the other Cruise Critic members from your roll call. Officers from the ship are not required by NCL to attend, and those who do attend, do so as a courtesy in the name of hospitality.

I've seen M&Gs on 2 night cruises to nowhere (when they still had those). I've seen a TON of officers attend, and I've seen only 3 attend. It varies by ship, by Captain, by HD, etc. They even have them on the Pride of America...and they have 0 sea days.

I don't think that is totally true or I guess I should say, it is a matter of how you interpret it. Most of us consider an informal one or unofficial one just posting here ahead of time about a bunch of us getting together just to meet each other and visit. The official one is what you are thinking of, meeting the officers. One is strictly social, the other informative.

Why not? Did NCL refuse to allow it, was there no interest from your roll call, or was there no organizer from your roll call willing to make it happen?

Just a guess but I bet either not enough interest or no one tried to organize one. Unfortunately they do not seem to be as popular as in years past. For whatever reason, people just are no as interested. I have found the ones we have been involved with, either leading them ourselves or just participating they are normally not nearly as well attended. Of course there are exceptions to everything. We did one about a year or so ago that had over 50 in attendance. Our last one, out of Boston only 16.

I don't think that is totally true or I guess I should say, it is a matter of how you interpret it. Most of us consider an informal one or unofficial one just posting here ahead of time about a bunch of us getting together just to meet each other and visit. The official one is what you are thinking of, meeting the officers. One is strictly social, the other informative.

Just a guess but I bet either not enough interest or no one tried to organize one. Unfortunately they do not seem to be as popular as in years past. For whatever reason, people just are no as interested. I have found the ones we have been involved with, either leading them ourselves or just participating they are normally not nearly as well attended. Of course there are exceptions to everything. We did one about a year or so ago that had over 50 in attendance. Our last one, out of Boston only 16.

Lets face it...NCL is not holding a "Meet the Officers" event and only inviting Cruise Critic members, nor are they hosting "informative" events for Cruise Critic (who, when you think about it, should already be the knowledgeable people on board). The M&G is a Cruise Critic Roll Call driven event. If no one from the roll call organizes and requests it, they aren't going to have it.

The whole point is to "Meet" and "Greet" the Cruise Critic members with whom you've been interacting on the roll call...put faces and real names to the screen names...meet up and finalize your private tour arrangements, etc. It isn't about meeting officers. If it was, then people people would show up just to do that.

When people don't spend time on their roll call, then there is no desire created to "meet" or "greet" people they've never interacted with. If those people are spending their time on FB groups, then they've already met people...they have their real names, they know all about each other, they've make all their tour arrangements via PM...there is no NEED for a M&G. There is no NEED to connect a screen name to a face and a real name.

Thanks Nita for expressing better what I was trying to convey. I have been on cruises where a group posts on the roll call and decides to meet somewhere on their own without requesting a venue from Norwegian. I have also attended meetings where NCL graciously puts aside a venue and provides refreshments and some of the crew graciously attends if they are not otherwise required to attend to ship functions. I appreciate both types and perhaps could have used the expressions NCL hosted vs non NCL hosted rather than official vs unofficial. In any event I know the crew is not required to attend the hosted ones and greatly appreciate it when they do.