I can't believe what just happened with my reservation

designergirl

I'm really having difficulty digesting what just happened to me and wanted to ask if this has happened to anyone else. And, if so, what did you do about it.

I paid my reservation in full on Aug 28, a few days prior to the final pay date of Sept 8. This morning I went on line to check that all was okay and discovered that my account showed a negative balance of $46.60.

I checked my reservation and saw that NCL had reduced the "Taxes, Fees, Expenses" from $221.83 down to $198.53. So that accounts for the negative amount.

This is not a change that I requested, or a change to the cruise fare, but a change to the taxes and fees, so I'm thinking they should just refund the difference, or at least add it to my OBC... especially since it is before the final pay date of Sept 8.

Well, "no" they say. It has to be treated as a cancellation and rebooking, and therefore I would lose my current OBC. I can understand it if it was a change to the cruise fare, but this was the taxes and fees! I said that I did not want to lose my current OBC and was told there was no other option. I said, and I quote... "so, I just have to suck it up then?" and was told "yes." Wow, am I missing something here?

I'm really having difficulty digesting what just happened to me and wanted to ask if this has happened to anyone else. And, if so, what did you do about it.

I paid my reservation in full on Aug 28, a few days prior to the final pay date of Sept 8. This morning I went on line to check that all was okay and discovered that my account showed a negative balance of $46.60.

I checked my reservation and saw that NCL had reduced the "Taxes, Fees, Expenses" from $221.83 down to $198.53. So that accounts for the negative amount.

This is not a change that I requested, or a change to the cruise fare, but a change to the taxes and fees, so I'm thinking they should just refund the difference, or at least add it to my OBC... especially since it is before the final pay date of Sept 8.

Well, "no" they say. It has to be treated as a cancellation and rebooking, and therefore I would lose my current OBC. I can understand it if it was a change to the cruise fare, but this was the taxes and fees! I said that I did not want to lose my current OBC and was told there was no other option. I said, and I quote... "so, I just have to suck it up then?" and was told "yes." Wow, am I missing something here?

thats cant be correct, call back or ask for a supervisor

Why the fuss?

You'll get the credit one way or another.

Just print out the credit form so you have a record.

It will probably just be applied to your bill onboard, which would work the same was "as if" it were OBC, but it's just got a different category.

And if you have a balance at the end, you'll get a refund.

IF you really need that money now, then yes, call and ask for a Supervisor, but it sounds like you wanted it to be OBC, and that's what will no doubt happen, but under a different "name".

It will still be a credit.

GC

Doesn't make any sense.

#1 you logged in to NCL

#2 you noticed the credit

#3 you called NCL to ask about the credit.

#4 you were told it was a change in taxes and fees

#5 you then, I am assuming, asked "will this be refunded to my CC or to my onboard account?"

#6 the rep then replied "No" you must "cancel and rebook" to receive the credit.

From step 5-6 makes zero sense. You already have the credit on your account. CALL BACK. Print everything!

This is a CAS reservation through Caesars Windsor. I spoke to a representative on the regular call line. She said she could do nothing. I was then transferred to the CAS reservations department and was told the same. I then asked to speak to a supervisor. I did, her name was Belinda, and in a very mean way, told me the same thing... there's nothing they can do short of cancelling and rebooking.

GeezerCouple... how will I get the credit... what is this "credit form" you mentioned?

Like Jenny B suggested (er. bet :)), you'll either see the credit on your statement on board, along with the OBC, OR you'll eventually find this credit (which is what a "negative charge due balance" is) back on whatever charge card you used for payment.

The "credit form" is whatever YOU ARE SEEING online such that you know about this.

Again, same thing Jenny B is suggesting.

Things on your cruise account won't be visible the same way once your cruise has started, so to avoid confusion with someone on board, just show them this.

IF it has "vanished", then it will show up as a charge card credit.

You'll "get it back" one way or another.

Waiting for the credit (to card or on board) is the easiest, rather than fighting with likely clueless phone reps.

They probably really cannot change a "credit" to "look like" OBC, because those would be two separate accounting categories.

But they both work the same for you.

NOTE: IF you will have non-refundable OBC that you will NOT use, then you'll need to make sure that the purser/billing people on board "charge" your OBC *first*.

Also keep a record of all OBC you have.

The only thing you want to avoid is having unused OBC *if* you used the credit also.

But wait until closer to sailing, as this might resolve itself.

OR keep that credit form and after the cruise, if you are not satisfied, then contact your charge card company and dispute the amount.

NCL may have some service problems (understatement!) but stealing money (or failing to process refunds) from pax is not one of them.

GC

OR keep that credit form and after the cruise, if you are not satisfied, then contact your charge card company and dispute the amount.
That's your safety right there. As long as you have a printout of the screen showing the credit, you will eventually get the money.

Thanks everybody! I appreciate all the info and I feel much better. I just don't understand why any of the 3 reps I spoke to did not mention any of the options stated here. Thanks again.

Let's face it, many of the reps are just working for a small pay check and don't really care that much. I was a supervisor for a large hotel chain call center for years. It is amazing, how little many reps care about giving the correct answer or even know and in the case of where I worked they were paid fairly well and certainly trained well. Let' just hope all works out for you and just enjoy your cruise and don't let this issue ruin, what should be a wonderful experience. BTW, I do not mean to say all reps are bad. Some are very good, do a great job and do want to please the caller. It is just some do not have a clue.

I agree with many here that have said the credit will transfer to your onboard account. I expect one of the first entries to your account will be -$46.60.

In addition to many phone reps not being as knowledgeable as they should be, the terminology being used may be adding to the confusion. Over the years I have found that there are terms & phrases used within an industry that people outside are unaware of. When you're dealing with poorly trained staff, if you don't ask the "right" question, you don't get the correct answer. If training doesn't focus on listening to a customer to properly interpret their question or concern, a rep will often respond incorrectly.

In this case, referring to the over-payment as OBC may very well be throwing the reps off. OBC in their world isn't a credit caused because taxes & port fees are lower than anticipated.

On my recent cruise on the Norwegian Jade, everyone on the ship got an unexpected credit for $60 per person on their onboard account. I went down to Guest Services to ask about the credit on my account, and they said everyone got it because the port taxes and fees were lower than anticipated.

I thought it was weird that they didn't send everyone a note explaining the credit! The staff at Guest Services were probably getting a lot of questions.