HAL/Machu Picchu Excursion

jow623

We are booked on a HAL South American cruise to South America. One of the options will be an excursion to Machu Picchu. I cannot find the price for this. Has anyone done HAL's excursion? How was it and how much was it? thanks

We are booked on a HAL South American cruise to South America. One of the options will be an excursion to Machu Picchu. I cannot find the price for this. Has anyone done HAL's excursion? How was it and how much was it? thanks

They offered two versions for this excursion - standard and deluxe. The deluxe was about $4000 per person. I think the prices are still pretty much the same. You can do a separate week long excursion to the entire country of Peru for the price of this excursion. But if you think you will not be back in the neighborhood then one is stuck with their going rates.

There are all sorts of complicated transportation timings to make this excursion work so one has to decide if they want to trust a private operator on their own or bite the bullet and do it as an official excursion. We had one tour member get altitude sickness and be hospitalized in Cuzco, and I am sure she was glad to know there was a HAL representative making all the arrangements for her and making sure she got back to the ship safely and on time.

We did choose the "deluxe" version as we assumed we would not be back and it does provide a different and less impacted experience - hard to say whether it is worth the extra cost - it can only be viewed as an indulgence and not a necessity because the star of the show is obviously Machu Pichu and Cuzco themselves which everyone gets to enjoy, no matter how you get there.

Thanks for responding. Was this as physically demanding as I'm reading it is? Have a great cruise!

We did not notice the altitude in Cuzco and I think there was also a little bit of extra emotional apprehension about the altitude that affected that one afflicted passenger. The rest of us were unaffected, but she developed a headache and nausea at dinner and then that led to her missing the rest of the tour.

It was a demanding trip because one covers long distances - buses and small unpressurised planes so that made everyone feel a little exhausted upon arrival anyway making it a vulnerable time, plus adding all the stories upfront about altitude sickness could have been just a bad combination of related circumstances.

We were mainly on bus tours around Cusco or walking around closer to the hotel so that did not create much exertion for the altitude and it was so magnificent one wanted to get out there and see as much as possible. They do offer a very mild "coca" tea at the hotel they claim helps with the altitude, which we all drank.

Machu Pichu is at a much lower altitude, but still high (8000 ft?), so that helps. They took us up to the top viewing area at a very slow pace - though one could keep their visit to just the lower levels and wander on their own. It is a sprawling site so one does need to walk a bit to get as many aspects of it as possible - some inclines and declines. They are geared for all levels of visitors so one can adjust the extent of the experience to what works best. Because there are critical transportation connections to make coming, going and entering, it is not always a leisurely pace.

The "deluxe" tour had different transportation connections to make than the general traffic ones os we had a later entry into the site and time for a long tea break at the one hotel onsite, as well as plenty of tourist time at the intermediate connection site to pick up the special "deluxe" train - at Agua Caliente. So I think the "deluxe" version gives you a slower pace but we all had to be back to the ship at the same time. So our early morning departure to the flight back to Lima was very early. Those taking the standard version did have more free time in Cuzco than we had on the deluxe and later schedule to Machu Pichu.

Yes, it will an experience of a lifetime, you're well taking care of and it's not that severe of an exercise, because you control which steps you want to take, 2 things: when it's raining (usually starts after1:00pm) be very careful, it can be very slippery and do NOT take a selfie on the edge of a ravine. Take the silver package (about $3000) and not the gold (about $4000), the difference is that with the gold you take the Bingham express train (cocktails) and with the silver you're on the Inca Rail, very nice and on the same tracks, and you're staying in the town center of Cuzco (Ramada), close to the restaurant (5 minutes) where as with the gold you're staying outside Cuzco and have to bus back in. The main thing you need is sleep, every morning breakfast at 4:30am..Also Cuzco is at 11000 ft, 2 beers feel like 2 six packs, Macchu Piccu is at 8000 ft.

The deluxe tour using the specially fitted Belmond train and the gorgeous Belmond hotel - a very different experiences than the standard offerings, but you get to exactly the same places at different times: complimetary Pisco Sours and Peruvian music in the Howard Bingham bar and observation car on the way back down the mountain.

Belmond Hotel: https://www.belmond.com/hotels/south-america/peru/cusco/belmond-hotel-monasterio/

Belmond Train: https://www.belmond.com/trains/south-america/peru/belmond-hiram-bingham/

The altitude in Cuzco was more of an impact for our group than is indicated for the previous posters. We were taken on tour as soon as we arrived Cuzco, before lunch, and a woman in our group passed out as we were touring one of the sites. She managed the rest of the tour OK. There were a couple of people in our group that didn't get any further than the hotel lobby. They used bottle oxygen and didn't attempt the trip to Machu Picchu the next day. Personally, I had little appetite and a headache the first night, as did my girlfriend. We were fine at the lower altitude of Machu Picchu. It was a great tour and one of the highlights of the cruise. We were on the Silver tour.

The Gold Belmond Train to Machu Picchu served champagne on embarkation and had a continental breakfast waiting at your assigned table seat. Then a lunch before arrival, later tea and snacks at the onsite hotel and a lovely dinner on the way back to Cuzco, along with the open bar Pisco Sours. https://www.belmond.com/trains/south-america/peru/belmond-hiram-bingham/dining

The food was specially chosen to showcase "preContact" ingredients known only to the New World at that time.

The altitude in Cuzco was more of an impact for our group than is indicated for the previous posters. We were taken on tour as soon as we arrived Cuzco, before lunch, and a woman in our group passed out as we were touring one of the sites. She managed the rest of the tour OK. There were a couple of people in our group that didn't get any further than the hotel lobby. They used bottle oxygen and didn't attempt the trip to Machu Picchu the next day.

It's a shame that they stayed in Cuzco at the high altitude that affects many people. You did the right thing to go to Machu Picchu. The seriously affected passengers would have felt so much better at the lower altitude.

We did this on an individualized land trip with pre-booked hotels, tickets, transfers and guides. If I had known beforehand how I would be affected in Cuzco, I would have asked the travel agent to book the first two nights in the Sacred Valley at a lower altitude. I spent one day in a private clinic but could continue the trip afterwards and later travel up to Lake Titicaca which is at an even higher altitude.

I recommend taking a separate trip. It is more enjoyable, less rushed, healthier and less expensive. We saw more and stayed in additional places. Our 10 day trip was organized by a company called Escaped to South America.

Where did you encounter small, unpressurized planes on the way to/from Machu Picchu?

I remember my ears hurting like crazy when we were landing in Lima so it was coming back from Cuzco to the ship. Can't remember the flight from Saliverry to Cuzco, but it seemed like it did the same thing. For some reason and I try everything known to help, I cannot clear my ears in this sort of setting. Most likely an internal defect in my eutaschian tubes. Not happy. Gave up scuba diving because of this too.

But it passes eventually and for virtually all modern air travel it is of no consequence, but I remember stumbling around in a fog for a long time once we landed in Lima. Peru is a poor country - not everything works the way we expect it to work in North America.

We did the deluxe HAL excursion and it was fabulous. This one included the Hiram Bingham train to MP with a white glove lunch and return dinner. They also had a Club car and live music for us.

The actual time in MP was just about the right amount. Further, we spent time in the Sacred Valley as well.

Very well done and worth every dollar IMHO.

harry

My wife and I did the deluxe tour in 2015 and also thought it was fabulous. It is quite expensive, but it was a once in a lifetime experience for us and well worth it. If you are interested in the details you can check out my blog pages from our trip.

Day 1:

http://daveandvalstravels.blogspot.com/2015/04/inca-emprie-cruise-day-15-lima-to-cusco.html

Day 2:

http://daveandvalstravels.blogspot.com/2015/04/inca-emprie-cruise-day-16-cusco-to.html

Day 3:

http://daveandvalstravels.blogspot.com/2015/04/inca-emprie-cruise-day-17-cusco-to-lima.html

Dave

My wife and I did the deluxe tour in 2015 and also thought it was fabulous. It is quite expensive, but it was a once in a lifetime experience for us and well worth it. If you are interested in the details you can check out my blog pages from our trip.

Day 1:

http://daveandvalstravels.blogspot.com/2015/04/inca-emprie-cruise-day-15-lima-to-cusco.html

Day 2:

http://daveandvalstravels.blogspot.com/2015/04/inca-emprie-cruise-day-16-cusco-to.html

Day 3:

http://daveandvalstravels.blogspot.com/2015/04/inca-emprie-cruise-day-17-cusco-to-lima.html

Dave

Thanks for sharing! Really excites me for our upcoming trip there. Wonderful narrative and photos. :cool:

I remember my ears hurting like crazy when we were landing in Lima so it was coming back from Cuzco to the ship. Can't remember the flight from Saliverry to Cuzco, but it seemed like it did the same thing. For some reason and I try everything known to help, I cannot clear my ears in this sort of setting. Most likely an internal defect in my eutaschian tubes. Not happy. Gave up scuba diving because of this too.

But it passes eventually and for virtually all modern air travel it is of no consequence, but I remember stumbling around in a fog for a long time once we landed in Lima. Peru is a poor country - not everything works the way we expect it to work in North America.

The flights between Lima and Cusco are on LATAM. Nice commercial jets Airbus a300-200. Same as flown by some US airlines. Condition of planes and service equal to US airlines. Was just on 2 of their flights from Lima to Cusco and Arequipa to Lima.

Peru might be a poor country, but the Lima airport is very modern and efficiently run.

Edited by RDC1

One other item to keep in mind is that peak tourist season corresponds with the dry season, May through October. Cruise ships tend to be there from October to March which is the wet season. Fewer tourists, but warmer, and wetter weather.

We did the deluxe tour in 2014. The Jets were the same as any others, although the coke was yellow. We flew directly from Lima to Cusco and stayed at the JW Marriott. I reserved an oxygenated room. We also drank plenty of the coca tea. Never had any altitude symptoms. We saw a great many things in Cusco, a cathedral, a museum, and a nice vantage point.

Because a landslide had damaged the track, we took a bus to the train in a small town.

The Hiram Bingham train reminded me of the Orient Express. Lots of polished brass, woodwork, and attentive service. I think there was breakfast, then lunch as we rolled along the Orumbucco river to Agua Caliente.

We then walked to the shuttle buses that take you up the switchbacks to the Lodge. A rock the size of a two car garage came down the night before and wiped out a switchback. They built a rough stone stairs so we could get off the bus, go up the stairs, and get back on another bus to the top. A passenger had a wrist in a brace and hurt her leg prior to the bus ride and the men put her in a litter and carried her up the stairs. Crazy.

At the lodge, she requested a doctor and the whole group was standing around while the HAL rep tried to sort this out.

Part of the benefit of the Gold package was a visit after the morning visitors had gone, but prior to the afternoon hordes. So my wife and I went into Machu Picchu on a self guided tour and saw what was on my list until about 90 minutes later when it started to rain. We beat a retreat to the Lodge where there was tea or coffee and something like a biscuit.

Then back to the train for a wonderful dinner. By the time we got to the bus to Cusco, it was late, so we snoozed the whole way in the dark.

A wonderful once in a lifetime experience, three days, two nights, and the ship was still there when we got back.

I think it was January.

Day 1:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Dave

I really enjoyed reading about your experience and viewing those fabulous photos! Great information in case I'm ever able to cross this one off my bucket list. Thank you.

Prices for HALs MP tour in October 2018 are:

• Gold Double: US$3599
  • Gold Single: US$3999
  • Silver Double: US$2499
  • Silver Single: US$2799

OP, hope you enjoy your cruise!

The major difference between the two is the cost of the Hiram Bingham train. Tickets for round trip on it to/from Agua Caliente $950 roundtrip tickets on the VistaDome train $140. That alone accounts for most of the cost difference between the two services.