Alternative to Celebrity

german_navy

Guess I will jump in a few of the comments.  Regarding Princess (we have 25 cruises with them) it is true that the main theaters on Princess ships are too darn small.  As long time cruisers (over forty years) we have learned to vary our personal schedule to best fit a particular ship :).  To put it simply we are queue adverse.  On Princess (and most other lines) we prefer to dine late which for us means sometime between 7:45 and 8:15.  On Princess, if you go to  the show intended for the late diners it is seldom too crowded.  We normally walk in the theater about 10 min before a show and there are plenty of seats.  Those who dine early do have problems and sometimes the cruise director will schedule a 3rd show.    It is hard to compare X with Princess because we like many things on both lines and dislike things on both lines.  Up until the reign of LLP at Celebrity we thought that X was a far superior product to any of the other mass market lines including Princess.  But X has had so many cut-backs in terms of cuisine, service, and entertainment that we now favor Princess.  I sometimes get the feeling that LLP is trying to bring X down to RCI's level while continuing to boost the price.  X is still far superior to Princess when it comes to alternative dining.

As to smoking, I am also bothered by the smoke on Celebrity's pool deck (we normally cruise on S-Class ships.  The problem is that the smokers are all crowded in one corner and depending on the winds the smoke will drift throughout that side of pool deck with the overhang trapping it.  On some days we must seek out a seat on the opposite side to escape the stench.  As to MSC, we have an upcoming 21 day cruise in the YC so my vote is still out.  But my understanding is that MSC has a different smoking policy on their two ships in the Caribbean...then they do when they cruise in Europe.   We shall see :).

Hank

14 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

As to MSC, we have an upcoming 21 day cruise in the YC so my vote is still out.  But my understanding is that MSC has a different smoking policy on their two ships in the Caribbean...then they do when they cruise in Europe.   We shall see :).

Hank

I recall hearing the same thing – MSC realizes that Americans are more smoke-averse than Europeans at this point.  So I will be following these new-build MSC All-Yacht-Club luxury ships to see how they handle smoking!

Just now, Host Jazzbeau said:

I recall hearing the same thing – MSC realizes that Americans are more smoke-averse than Europeans at this point.  So I will be following these new-build MSC All-Yacht-Club luxury ships to see how they handle smoking!

Those planned ships are a topic unto themselves.  I believe that MSC has about 10 new ships scheduled to be built within the next few years which will make them a real contender on the world cruise scene.  But the future build luxury vessels also got our interest.  It sounds like they will be competing with lines like Viking and Oceania.  We booked our first upcoming Divina cruise out of curiosity to see if their Yacht Club concept is as good as many claim.  It sounds like the perfect fit for those of us who want luxury service and facilities without paying the huge bucks for a large suite (we have little use for all that space).  Consider that the YC usually prices out about $300 per person/day which is essentially an all inclusive cruise (with pre paid gratuities and some OBC).  For that money one gets an entire section of the ship rather then a small lounge such as Michael's.  

Hank

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sorry, I think that you're wrong. Those of us in Northern Europe also tend to be smoke-averse!

In Italy, Greece, Spain etc. there seems to be more smoking and a greater tolerance.

If you aren’t under a real tight budget, try higher catergories on otherlines. We are currently on the Allure of the Seas in a Grand Suite, which we booked in January. The room is huge, 370 sq.ft, with double sinks and a regular size tub/shower in the bathroom. We paid $1550 p.p. including taxes and fees. It also had a $200 obc and prepaid gratuities with it. At the time I booked it several people on the Allure web site said they got a similar deal.

I can’t compare it to Celebrity as I never had or will have a suite at their current pricing levels.

Unlimited internet is included in the price. It has it’s own restaurant and bar in the same area. From 11am until 11pm you can get wine, beer, soft drinks, and bottled water. From 4:30 pm until 8pm you can get anything that is offered with their drink package. A real benefit of the lounge and restaurant is that the waiters will get your drinks and you don’t have to use your sea pass. The food in the dining room food is the best we’ve ever had.  Neither the lounge area or the restaurant has been super busy the times we went so the service was excellant.

Center venue reserved seats for all shows except the Comedy Club. Expadited disembarkation.  Luggage Valet is included in the price. There might be other things I may have forgotten.

We also received $350 obc from our on line travel agent as well as dinner for two in any specialty restaurant, which we used last night in Chops. Since the obc is refundable, we’ll take it home dropping, our cost to $1375 p.p.

Full disclourse: We are still on the ship next week and we got the same deal except it was almost $250 more p.p., still a great deal

It’s only day five but, as of now, BEST CRUISE EVER!! Pretty bold statement since it’s cruise number 45 with 23 being on Celebrity

One last thing, on day one we were approached just one time each fo spa treatments, and specialty restaurants, and none for drink packages. Nothing since

On 9/11/2018 at 1:57 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

Frank,

Don't know why folks keep pushing MSC's Yacht Club (or Azamara or Seabourn) if as you say price is an important consideration. Suites are not in everyone's budget.

Totally understand and agree with the features of S class you enjoy. We have sailed Royal's Explorer many times and believe it could be a good substitute. As a diamond member you will enjoy free specialty coffees and drinks in the diamond lounge which is on deck 14 and has a great view. They also used to have a private diamond breakfast area in the mdr. The promenade cafe is a cut below cafe al bacio, but it's good for coffee, danish and people watching. Royal's entertainment, especially the ice show, is better than X. December 2019 pricing looks attractive.

I really wish people would stop promoting the MSC Yacht Club!! The YC suites are getting harder and harder to find! I would highly recommend staying away!😎

Based on our current cruise JPP has accomplished her mission and them some.

One of her goals is to increase shareholder value, based on the current price, things are only going to get worse. They announced strong third quarter earnings and the stock drops 6%.

We have seen a few posts about Luminae, MSC's Yacht Club, etc.  And this reflects one of the biggest changes in cruising since the 1930s - 60s when there were truly classes on ocean liners/vessels (they did not call them cruise ships in those days).  And this changes everything.  These days I prefer to call it a "ship within a ship."  You have had it forever on Cunard, but now we have MSC's Yacht Club, NCLs Haven Suites, Celebrity's Luminae/Michaels....although that is not actually a ship within a ship.  HAL pushes their Neptune Lounge...although that line probably does less for suites then most of the competition.  RCI has some spectacular suites on their ships....often with their own restaurant.  And it goes on and on.

So now, it may not be enough to rate a cruise line or ship...but perhaps we have to rate the different classes on each ship!  Speaking of MSC's Yacht Club...folks may wonder about this class of cruising.  What MSC has done is actually unique because rather then making folks pay for very expensive suites to get a special ship within a ship experience, MSC also provides it to folks in more normal sized cabins (at much lower cost then suites) and even has some inside cabins with that experience.  It means that some folks can experience an exclusive high end cruise experience for a reasonable cost.  As a long time cruiser (around 45 years) I love when the industry adopts new ideas and this is an exciting time.  Not only do we have ship within ships....but we have Viking Cruises (a unique concept), the soon to come Virgin Cruises, and MSC's future luxury ships.  So much to look forward to for those of us who don't get hung up on this "loyalty" thing with 1 or 2 lines.

Hank

37 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have seen a few posts about Luminae, MSC's Yacht Club, etc.  And this reflects one of the biggest changes in cruising since the 1930s - 60s when there were truly classes on ocean liners/vessels (they did not call them cruise ships in those days).  And this changes everything.  These days I prefer to call it a "ship within a ship."  You have had it forever on Cunard, but now we have MSC's Yacht Club, NCLs Haven Suites, Celebrity's Luminae/Michaels....although that is not actually a ship within a ship.  HAL pushes their Neptune Lounge...although that line probably does less for suites then most of the competition.  RCI has some spectacular suites on their ships....often with their own restaurant.  And it goes on and on.

So now, it may not be enough to rate a cruise line or ship...but perhaps we have to rate the different classes on each ship!  Speaking of MSC's Yacht Club...folks may wonder about this class of cruising.  What MSC has done is actually unique because rather then making folks pay for very expensive suites to get a special ship within a ship experience, MSC also provides it to folks in more normal sized cabins (at much lower cost then suites) and even has some inside cabins with that experience.  It means that some folks can experience an exclusive high end cruise experience for a reasonable cost.  As a long time cruiser (around 45 years) I love when the industry adopts new ideas and this is an exciting time.  Not only do we have ship within ships....but we have Viking Cruises (a unique concept), the soon to come Virgin Cruises, and MSC's future luxury ships.  So much to look forward to for those of us who don't get hung up on this "loyalty" thing with 1 or 2 lines.

Hank

I agree completely [now – when Celebrity first started the Suite-only amenities I was strongly opposed; I was wrong].  And don't forget the huge upsurge in luxury yachts and luxury expedition ships.  [What changed my mind? Realizing that by taking the cost of my first cruise, in 1974 in an inside cabin, and raising the cost to cover inflation since then – I can afford a Suite on Celebrity!]

It will be interesting to see how Douglas Ward adapts the Berlitz Guide to Cruising & Cruise Ships to reflect this trend.  He already fudges his ratings of Cunard with an average of Grill class and Britannia class.  It would hardly give a useful picture of MSC to average a veranda with a Yacht Club suite.  Lots of revisions needed!

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I agree completely [now – when Celebrity first started the Suite-only amenities I was strongly opposed; I was wrong].  And don't forget the huge upsurge in luxury yachts and luxury expedition ships.  [What changed my mind? Realizing that by taking the cost of my first cruise, in 1974 in an inside cabin, and raising the cost to cover inflation since then – I can afford a Suite on Celebrity!]

It will be interesting to see how Douglas Ward adapts the Berlitz Guide to Cruising & Cruise Ships to reflect this trend.  He already fudges his ratings of Cunard with an average of Grill class and Britannia class.  It would hardly give a useful picture of MSC to average a veranda with a Yacht Club suite.  Lots of revisions needed!

Yes, Douglas Ward has certainly changed his way of rating ships etc.

It would be more helpful, IMHO, if he rated Cunard by class ---as he used to do.

Douglas Ward could also do the same for Celebrity (which seems to have diminshed, according to his his rating system, over the last few years. MSC too.

As you rightly say, averaging for rating purposes is not helpful.  Does he read these postings?

9 minutes ago, crazyman3 said:

Yes, Douglas Ward has certainly changed his way of rating ships etc.

It would be more helpful, IMHO, if he rated Cunard by class ---as he used to do.

Douglas Ward could also do the same for Celebrity (which seems to have diminshed, according to his his rating system, over the last few years. MSC too.

As you rightly say, averaging for rating purposes is not helpful.  Does he read these postings?

I doubt it.

Never even thought about how Ward would handle these changes.   Perhaps this is a good reason to no longer purchase his book and rely more on what is written here on CC :).   My long time issue with Douglas Ward's book is that its horribly out of date before it even hits the book shelves.   Consider somebody just trying to write about coffee cards on Princess.  If they wrote a review a few months ago it would be completely wrong today!  or....If I had written a review of Celebrity, three years ago, I would have raved about the quality of food in the MDR and called it among the best of all the mass market lines.  But today, it would be a different story because I would rate it in line with most of their competition.  In fact, much of what separated Celebrity from the competition (in a positive way) is gone.  It used to be our preferred cruise line but now is just one of many lines that we consider with our decision based primarily on itinerary and price.

Hank

19 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Never even thought about how Ward would handle these changes.   Perhaps this is a good reason to no longer purchase his book and rely more on what is written here on CC :).   My long time issue with Douglas Ward's book is that its horribly out of date before it even hits the book shelves.   Consider somebody just trying to write about coffee cards on Princess.  If they wrote a review a few months ago it would be completely wrong today!  or....If I had written a review of Celebrity, three years ago, I would have raved about the quality of food in the MDR and called it among the best of all the mass market lines.  But today, it would be a different story because I would rate it in line with most of their competition.  In fact, much of what separated Celebrity from the competition (in a positive way) is gone.  It used to be our preferred cruise line but now is just one of many lines that we consider with our decision based primarily on itinerary and price.

Hank

A yes, Hank, coffee cards..... I remember them!

Yes, CC has almost made Douglas Ward an anachronism. Yet, there is still comfort to be had reading a book whilst sprawled on the sofa, music in the back ground, a mug of good coffee (or something stronger) in hand...

4 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I agree.  I researched his ratings when I first started cruising, but have noticed that they do not change much and seem to be out of date.  I no longer bother to check.

17 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Based on our current cruise JPP has accomplished her mission and them some.

One of her goals is to increase shareholder value, based on the current price, things are only going to get worse. They announced strong third quarter earnings and the stock drops 6%.

Since I'm not a shareholder but simply a customer. I don't care if she increases shareholder value.  I do care as a customer that she is charging more for less.

7 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Since I'm not a shareholder but simply a customer. I don't care if she increases shareholder value.  I do care as a customer that she is charging more for less.

You increase shareholder value by raising profits. I’m sure a big share of LPP’s bonus is based on this. She has two options, raise prices, or cut costs. If she cuts costs, the three easiest ways is reducing headcount, reducing services, and use cheaper materials. None of these bode well for the passengers. The reason RCL gave for the big drop in stock price is rising fuel prices and that’s probably not

going to change. They have a clause stating that they can add a fuel surcharge of up to $10 per day, per passenger, if West Texas Crude goes over $65 per barrel. The last I saw was a couple of weeks ago and it was in the low $70s. Many years Go they instituted this for a short period when the price went over &100per barrel.

That doesn’t work in the customer’s favor either.

On 10/24/2018 at 11:58 PM, Hlitner said:

Guess I will jump in a few of the comments.  Regarding Princess (we have 25 cruises with them) it is true that the main theaters on Princess ships are too darn small.  As long time cruisers (over forty years) we have learned to vary our personal schedule to best fit a particular ship :).  To put it simply we are queue adverse.  On Princess (and most other lines) we prefer to dine late which for us means sometime between 7:45 and 8:15.  On Princess, if you go to  the show intended for the late diners it is seldom too crowded.  We normally walk in the theater about 10 min before a show and there are plenty of seats.  Those who dine early do have problems and sometimes the cruise director will schedule a 3rd show.    It is hard to compare X with Princess because we like many things on both lines and dislike things on both lines.  Up until the reign of LLP at Celebrity we thought that X was a far superior product to any of the other mass market lines including Princess.  But X has had so many cut-backs in terms of cuisine, service, and entertainment that we now favor Princess.  I sometimes get the feeling that LLP is trying to bring X down to RCI's level while continuing to boost the price.  X is still far superior to Princess when it comes to alternative dining.

As to smoking, I am also bothered by the smoke on Celebrity's pool deck (we normally cruise on S-Class ships.  The problem is that the smokers are all crowded in one corner and depending on the winds the smoke will drift throughout that side of pool deck with the overhang trapping it.  On some days we must seek out a seat on the opposite side to escape the stench.  As to MSC, we have an upcoming 21 day cruise in the YC so my vote is still out.  But my understanding is that MSC has a different smoking policy on their two ships in the Caribbean...then they do when they cruise in Europe.   We shall see :).

Hank

We just sailed on Equinox a couple of weeks ago and they didn’t have a smoking section on the pool deck any longer.

On 10/21/2018 at 7:28 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I promised to come back and report after my first cruise in MSC's Yacht Club.  So, MSC Yacht Club vs. Celebrity suite experience:

The boarding experience was excellent.  There's a special tent for YC passengers out front.  You drop your luggage and are escorted to the VIP lounge by a butler for processing.  Seating and refreshments available.  Once you are processed, you are escorted on board by a butler.  As we passed the Concierge Desk, the concierge informed us that our cabin was ready, so we were able to drop our carryons.  YC wins this one.

Cruise Critic gathering:  champagne and other treats served.  Captain gave brief speech and introduced the other officers.  We had a group picture taken and all get a copy of it.  Special cake.  Plenty of opportunity to mingle with other guests.  MSC blows Celebrity out of the water on this one.

The YC lounge is huge and is surrounded by windows to the sea.  In fact, the whole ship is oriented to being able to see the sea.  I liked that.  You can get any drinks here (all included in the fare) and there are refreshments available (which change, depending on the time of day.  Star of the show here is the live music!  We had a piano player who was excellent and a piano and violin duo who were sublime.  I spent a lot of time in the lounge listening to music.  The captain and the staff hold a special reception here and he goes around and talks to everyone.  If you don't drink alcohol, try a non-alcoholic pomegranate mojito.  Very refreshing.  YC definitely wins this one.

Restaurant wasn't up to Luminae on Celebrity.  Service was iffy.  Food was so so.  The risoto and ice cream were excellent.  Don't order baked fish, they must bake it for hours.   I tried going to the restaurant for breakfast one morning.  The waiter finally showed up and took my order.  He then proceeded to chat with the folks at the next table for 10 minutes before going to place my order.  Really?  I didn't want to spend an eternity on breakfast.  Never went back.  Also never went for lunch.  Luminae is the clear winner here, both for service and for food.  Yacht Club restaurant and lounge did not have any non-alcoholic wine or champagne.  Celebrity has good versions of each.

The private sun and pool deck were excellent.  Plenty of loungers available.  Tables and chairs and loungers also available in the shade.  Good place for lunch and breakfast.  Omelettes, pasta, and hamburgers made to order.  Other options available.  Excellent service from butlers and pool butlers.  The cabanas actually face the sea.  What a concept!  YC wins this hands down since Celebrity currently doesn't have a private sun and pool deck.

The cabin was intelligently designed.  The balcony was a bit small and did not have a table.  Loved that there was lots of space between the bed and the furniture on the opposite wall.  Closet space a bit small for two people. Would be fine for one.  Real bedside tables with drawers.  Loved the light up rods in the closet!  And real hangers, not those dreadful things you have to slot into fixed hooks.  Bathroom was well designed and plenty of storage.  A seat in the shower.  Choice between excellent handheld shower or rain  shower.  Good water pressure.  Retractable  clothesline in the shower.  Shower door did not leak.  Shampoo and body wash in dispensers on the wall.  No conditioner or hand lotion available.  No cotton balls or Q-tips (not sure if those are supposed to be supplied).  Apparently a glitch in their supply chain.  They ship everything from Italy and apparently the container did not catch up with them.  Everything in minibar is free (including liquor) and what you consume is constantly replenished.  You can specify what you want.  Liked that they had salty snacks.  The chocolate covered peanuts were addictive.  Fruit bowl was huge and had lots of variety.  Replenished daily.  Nespresso machine in room.  Comparing a YC suite to a sky suite on Celebrity, would say the YC suite is a bit better.

Rest of the ship:  would never sail in a regular cabin on MSC.  WAY too many people.  Lines.  Ventured out once to try the pizza (it was cold) and the gelato (excellent).  Staff not nearly as friendly.  Celebrity definitely wins this one for the rest of the ship.

Newspaper:  Awesome!  Full replica of the Washington Post!  You get to choose the newspaper you want.  Loved it!  Delivered by the butler every morning.  YC blows Celebrity out of the water on this one.  Not sure if the newspaper is a Black perk or if everyone in YC gets it.

Price:  less than $2,000/pp for a 7-night cruise.  YC the clear winner here.  And they status match, so I instantly became Black (which is their highest level).  That status entitles you to a free meal for two in a specialty restaurant (we went to Butcher's Cut, which was excellent) and many special treats.  Their chocolate ship is amazing, as is all the chocolate on the ship.

So, would I do it again?  Absolutely.  As long as you don't care too much about the itinerary.  At the moment, they're only doing 7-nights out of Miami.  For Caribbean cruises--obviously, they have tons in Europe.  Have one booked for next November which improves on the current itinerary by going to their new private island.  The captain also announced that they will be building 4 new smaller ships (around 800 pax) which will be all Yacht Club.  More interesting itineraries, since small ships can go to ports that large ships can't.

Will be happy to respond to questions (if I can find this thread again!)  The "new, improved" Cruise Critic leaves a lot to be desired.

Really appreciate this detailed feedback. We are booked next September inYC around the Baltic’s on the Meraviglia. We booked mainly due to the pricing as Celebrity and Azamara are so expensive at the moment but to also try out the YC experience. Really looking forward to it and your review of YC has helped enormously, thank you! 

7 hours ago, Ex-vogue model said:

Really appreciate this detailed feedback. We are booked next September inYC around the Baltic’s on the Meraviglia. We booked mainly due to the pricing as Celebrity and Azamara are so expensive at the moment but to also try out the YC experience. Really looking forward to it and your review of YC has helped enormously, thank you! 

I believe you will find the experience in YC on the Meraviglia a bit different.  My understanding is that the YC areas are not all together as they are on Seaside.  Not sure about this, but I know they're spread out on the Divina.  So you may have to traverse the dreaded GenPop (general population) to get to where you're going.  It's just a whole different experience out in the GenPop.  WAY more people and no butlers running around to tend to your every need.  That just makes you appreciate the peaceful experience in the YC more on your return.  On Seaside, you need to venture out into the GenPop to enjoy the treats in the chocolate bar (well worth it) and the gelato (also well worth it).  The treats in the chocolate bar and the gelato are included for YC.  The chocolates themselves are extra charge.  Try a chocolate milkshake, but tell them to skip the whipped cream--way too much!

Enjoy your cruise in the Baltic!  Fascinating area.

We were in the YC on the Divinia, as I recall, everything for YC cruisers was in the YC. Our problem is the ever increasing price of international air. We are old and can't do long flights in economy without pain. We priced and April cruise in the YC on the Meraviglia at $5700 for both of us. But the real problem was that business class air for us was $15,000! So, a cruise not taken.

2 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I believe you will find the experience in YC on the Meraviglia a bit different.  My understanding is that the YC areas are not all together as they are on Seaside.  Not sure about this, but I know they're spread out on the Divina.  So you may have to traverse the dreaded GenPop (general population) to get to where you're going.  It's just a whole different experience out in the GenPop.  WAY more people and no butlers running around to tend to your every need.  That just makes you appreciate the peaceful experience in the YC more on your return.  On Seaside, you need to venture out into the GenPop to enjoy the treats in the chocolate bar (well worth it) and the gelato (also well worth it).  The treats in the chocolate bar and the gelato are included for YC.  The chocolates themselves are extra charge.  Try a chocolate milkshake, but tell them to skip the whipped cream--way too much!

Enjoy your cruise in the Baltic!  Fascinating area.

Thank you Happy Cruiser! I am very much looking forward to the chocolate and gelato in moderation of course! 

On 10/26/2018 at 10:20 AM, crazyman3 said:

A yes, Hank, coffee cards..... I remember them!

Yes, CC has almost made Douglas Ward an anachronism. Yet, there is still comfort to be had reading a book whilst sprawled on the sofa, music in the back ground, a mug of good coffee (or something stronger) in hand...

I know longer have his book in my home.  Years ago, whenever I would pick up his book and start paging through, I would soon pick up the phone or get on my computer and book a cruise.  So that Berlitz book cost me 10s of thousands of dollars! 

Hank

Geez, cannot believe my grammar ("know instead of no).  Anyway, I want to really thank Happy Cruiser for the informative post.  Like Happy Cruiser, we are going to be taking our first MSC cruise in about a month and spending 21 days in the YC on the Divina.   Yesterday, we were on the verge of booking a 12 day Silhouette (one of our favorite X ships) cruises for next year.  But we noticed that we could take an 11 day Davina cruise instead of that 12 day X cruise.  When I asked DW if she wanted to book the X cruise she quickly responded, "lets wait until after we have been on MSC!"  And that is what we will do and we will post our decision (and why) here.  

So let me make a point that we hope makes it into LLP's executive suite.  We are long time X lovers (Elite Plus) and until a year ago tried to spend at least a few weeks a year on X.  But since LLP's reign, we have been very disappointed in the direction of X.  We still like the line, but not nearly as much as in years past.  So we will wait and see how MSC compares.  But 5 years ago it would not have even been a question.  Times change as does the cruise industry.  Our "loyalty" is only as good as the product and our last cruise.  So we shall see.

Hank

I believe I made a mistake in a post above when I said that all YC facilities were within the YC area on the Divinia. There was one exception when we cruised her. The YC dining room was not in the YC area. One had to walk through "non-YC" areas to reach it but a YC room key was required to enter. But, unlike our X cruise in a suite last January, the YC bar was in the YC area. And while we like Luminae on X better than the YC dining, we preferred the YC bar to Michaels. One thing I noticed on our last X cruise is that one had to book at least a very large royal suite to get the inclusiveness of the YC, and it is very costly to book a royal suite. On MSC, one can book a 306 sq. ft. (plus balcony) suite in the YC, or even a YC inside room, and get all the inclusions. In contrast, if you book a 306 sq. ft. suite on X (Sky or Aqua) the inclusions just aren't there. Gone are the  in-room mini bar, butler, included specialty restaurants, and other inclusions I can't think of now. Pardon me, but I am big on inclusions, and want to avoid all the "extra charges" on ships that I can. Especially with air fare for any seating better than "cattle car" economy going through the roof. But I did not mind walking through the "general population" areas on either ship -- so long as I didn't have to wait in a huge line to enter the main dining room!