Infirmary BP check

KenNBarbie

Whywould you not r ring your own bp monitorr?

There are so many for sale these days, small, light weight and reasonably priced. B ring your own and be independient , why rely upon someone else when you can more conveniently take carfe of yourslef? Beagts going down to th infirmary. So many choicestgo pick from. . My dooctors asked me to get one andg they can scane ghrough the memory in it and see the test results from a great many readings.

Edited by sail7seas

Whywould you not r ring your own bp monitorr?

There are so many for sale these days, small, light weight and reasonably priced. B ring your own and be independient , why rely upon someone else when you can more conveniently take carfe of yourslef? Beagts going down to th infirmary. So many choicestgo pick from. . My dooctors asked me to get one andg they can scane ghrough the memory in it and see the test results from a great many readings.

For one thing, you're much more likely to get an accurate reading from calibrated and maintained equipment?

For one thing, you're much more likely to get an accurate reading from calibrated and maintained equipment?

From ime to time, my doctor compares my deevice's reading with the office equipment Yes that can be variable bu they are cocmparerd often enough that we have ome confidendce in it. We do no rely upon it exclusively

Edited by sail7seas

From ime to time, my doctor compares my deevice's reading with the office equipment Yes that can be variable bu they are cocmparerd often enough that we have ome confidendce in it. We do no rely upon it exclusively

My compliments to your doctor!

Do you really believe that the medical center "calibrates" its BP reader? Have been in hospitals and doctors offices which use exactly the same reader I have at home - a wrist unit from Omron. Plus, for an sake of "accuracy," one must take the average ion three readings. Even then its still a comparison with one's past readings, time of day, recent activity, etc. Get a wrist reader; they are small and accurate. If they readings comes back high, say in the 160s, go to the medical center. FYI: they will charge for the visit.

I do that too. Whenever I go to my doctors, I take a reading right after they do, that way we have a comparison to base my home readings against.

Our internist told us to buy the Omron for checking BP at home. It isn't very large and can travel easily if needed.

If one goes to the ship's infirmary for a BP check, might that incur medical charges for an "office visit"?

We too use the Omron. Ours is the series 10. Battery operated and compact. Has been a great machine. One of our doctor's offices uses the exact same model to take vitals so it must be ok. :)

Bringing your own is the best idea- when monitoring blood pressures, consistency is key; your portable unit will allow you to compare "apples to apples". Using the ships' monitor could give you spurious readings, different from your home measurements or the doctor's office. Take your BP at the same time each day, sitting down, with your feet on the floor, and wait a minute or more before turning it on. That'll give you the best, most accurate readings.

I do that too. Whenever I go to my doctors, I take a reading right after they do, that way we have a comparison to base my home readings against.

If an accurate reading is important, it's important that you (and the doctor's office) do it properly: support

the arm, don't use a machine if you have an irregular heartbeat, don't cross your legs even at the ankles, etc.

IANAD, but Google "BP measurement engorge" so you know why to ask the doctor how long to let your

arm recover between his reading and yours.

I had a blood pressure scare on the Noordam and visited medical. They took my blood pressure, and told me I was o.k. for my EXC tour in a few minutes. I'd really expected them to make me stay for several hours and monitor me like in the USA, but no.

They charged me an office visit, something like $95. And I got it reimbursed via my travel insurance company.

While on the Rotterdam about a year ago, DH felt like his blood pressure was up, so we paid a visit to the infirmary. The nurse there said it would be $50; he decided not to have it taken.
Wow! Pretty high! Mine also included a consultation from the doctor.

If they charge you, be sure to get all the paperwork before you leave the ship. Then contact HAL medical back on land, and they will send you a more detailed report to submit to the insurance.