Questions about Alaskan 14 day cruise tours that depart and return to same city??

nytoalaska23

Hi there, i've got a large family group looking to do an Alaskan cruise next summer. Most of the land and sea tours I have found so far seem to require you to either fly into Alaska or home from Alaska (depending on if you cruise 1st or 2nd). We live in NY, which would be at least a 12 hour flight into Alaska (not to mention having to get one way flights) and we have some very young kids going on the trip, so I was looking to alternatives so that we could maybe avoid the 12 hour flight on one leg of the trip. I know about the 14 day Alaskan cruise that HAL offers into and out of Seattle, and that is a possible option for us, but there is no land tour with this trip and some members of the group may really want to travel to Denali. I came across a few other 14 day Alaskan cruise tours that seem to depart and return to the same city, either Vancouver or Seattle, and I'm curious about what the land portion of the tour actually entails because I can't seem to find many details. I'm just wondering how they get you from up near Fairbanks/Denali down to either Vancouver or Seattle during the land tour - do they fly you as part of the tour, or are you on a very long bus or train ride? It just seems that there wouldn't be enough time for that journey in 7 days (if you are actually visiting places on land as well), so I'm curious. If any of you have taken this type of cruise or have any information about the travel itinerary for the land portion it would be so helpful. Thanks so much - here are the cruises i've found:

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/A9N07AR1C/W943.html

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/A9S07BY2L/W946.html

In the first one (R1C) the itinerary detail shows a train symbol for the Anchorage > Denali and Denali > Fairbanks sections, and a bus symbol for the Fairbanks to Seattle section ... BUT one day you'd be in Fairbanks and the next in Seattle so it must be by plane!

Edited by catl331

Suggest you look into the various aspects of your trip....one way air tickets are not necessary. (look into open-jaw fares...usually noted on booking sites as "multi-city")

There are few, if any, nonstop, 12 hour flights to Alaska (Anchorage) from NYC. All have a stopover (3 hrs or more) in a place like Seattle.

Returns from Vancouver may or may not be nonstop but are substantially less than 12 hours.

Yes, I will look into open jaw, but no I don't believe there are any direct flights NYC to Alaska (anchorage has more flights going in than fairbanks and i couldn't find direct flights to either), so I know it will be at least a 12 hour flight on one of the legs, which is what I'd like to avoid. It's only about a 6 hour direct flight from Seattle or Vancouver, which is doable and what we would prefer.

Thanks, I didn't realize that when you look at the "list" view of the itinerary, at least for R1C, that it shows you the train and bus symbols. I am still confused because even though it seems there would have to be a flight to get you from Fairbanks to Seattle in one day, there is no plane or flight symbol listed - it just shows a bus on day 12 taking you from Fairbanks to Seattle and it says you get to Seattle days 13-14; is it even possible that they take a 2 day bus trip, it would have to be almost non stop and quite miserable i would think? I'd prefer the 12 hour flight over a very long bus trip, but this is what i'm trying to figure out. Another thought, I would think if they do fly you from Fairbanks to Seattle as part of the tour it would cost more than it does?

... is it even possible that they take a 2 day bus trip, it would have to be almost non stop and quite miserable i would think?
Google Earth estimates about 40 hours non-stop. There's no way they would do that!

I'd prefer the 12 hour flight over a very long bus trip,
A non-stop beween FAI and SEA is only about 3h:40m

See: https://www.orbitz.com/Flights-Search?trip=oneway&leg1=from%3AFairbanks%2C%20AK%2C%20United%20States%20(FAI)%2Cto%3ASeattle%2C%20WA%2C%20United%20States%20(SEA)%2Cdeparture%3A10%2F01%2F2018TANYT&passengers=adults%3A2%2Cchildren%3A0%2Cseniors%3A0%2Cinfantinlap%3AY&options=cabinclass%3Aeconomy&mode=search&origref=www.orbitz.com

Another thought, I would think if they do fly you from Fairbanks to Seattle as part of the tour it would cost more than it does?
I don't think so. That cost is figured into the price. About $150 pp in the link above if you booked it yourself, HAL would pay less. Edited by catl331

We have looked at this as well with the land tour first. You fly into Seattle and the next day HAL arranges a flight to Fairbanks. It is included in the fare. We would probably fly in an extra day early to explore Seattle. At the end of the cruise you are bussed back to Seattle. We hope to do this in 2020.

We have looked at this as well with the land tour first. You fly into Seattle and the next day HAL arranges a flight to Fairbanks. It is included in the fare.
This is changed from our Double Denali 11 years ago. We paid our own airfare all the way to Fairbanks and home from Vancouver.

If you have the time & pocketbook ,We would recommend that you do one cruise up to Seward & the one back from Seward .

From & to Seward there is a mini bus service out of Anchorage ;which is reasonable . They even have a half day tour of the animal center ,where you can see many of Alaska's animals in a more natural setting

Google :"discounts books in Alaska " .There are 2 of them & you can choose which you like from seeing the coupons on line .

Rent vehicles through Costco travel for the best prices .The mini bus service will take you from Seward port to the Anchorage airport so that you can rent your vehicles .

You can easily drive the 5 to 5.5 hours to Denali . Stay at the Denali Lakeview Inn (reservations must be made one year in advance ) .It is a AAA 3 diamond B&B ,over looking Lake Otto & only 15 minute drive to Denali National Park . This B&B is very clean with your breakfast in the refrigerator . The managers will help you with great close by places to eat in non commercial areas .The town of Denali is commercial imo . BTW ,get rooms with the private balconies over looking Lake Otto . Gorgeous lake & wild life viewing right from your private balcony .

Book your tours into Denali one year in advance .any one 62 & over gets a rebate of the park fees if they have the 62 & over lifetime National Parks card for entry into any National Park .Take 200 & 300 millimeter camera lenses for distance shots . Alaska photography is great distances

Tip : things cost a lot less in May in Alaska because it is a shoulder month .Weather varies a lot in Alaska ,take layered clothing ,a light sweater & wind breaker ,hats ie . The Denali Lake view Inn rooms are in the $140 range with tax . The management is very good . Next to the Denali Lake View Inn (walking distance ) ids a ATV place .Use your Alaska discount book to get 2 for one price & take the Rhino's (4 wheel drive like golf carts ) out to the Tundra with one of their guides .an experience you soon wouldn't forget

You & your group can do the interior at your own pace & see a lot more . Reason for May as well is that the tundra has not thawed out . In the summer months the tundra thawed supports huge amounts of mosquitos (the state bird ) & black stinging flies . Spend your time in the Denali area & don't miss the sled dog demonstration put on by the rangers .you will not believe your eyes what those beautiful animals can pull over a gravel trail .

By taking a return cruise from Seward you can see all the wonderful towns agains & the inside passage . Suggest that you take one cruise line that goes to Hubbard glacier & the other Cruise line that does Glacier Bay .

By doing a 2 way cruise you will end up in either Vancouver or Seattle to take your plane back to NYC (I grew up in NYC--27 years & now live in coastal San Diego )

Best of Alaska wishes to you & your group :):):)

Cliff

Just wanted to add that we stayed a total of 5 days at the Denali Lakeview Inn .2 days up & then 3 days back from our Fairbanks stay . If you do go to Fairbanks don't miss the University of Alaska museum . It is very much like NYC museums in its quality .got fabulous pictures of the 2 summits of MT Denali .There is a north summit & south summit .The mountain is approximately 20300 feet tall :p(great dining at the 9 hole golf club close by the B&B as well as a micro brewery --management will direct you .also ask about their box lunches for your Denali tour ):D

These are the temperatures we had on our interior trip in May ,anchorage 73 , Denali mid 70s & Fairbanks in low 80s & rain but just 1.5 hours of it . However ,each year can spell different temperatures & that is why it is recommended to dress in layers :D

We loved our driving trip & you will too . coming from NYC or southern California traffic is horrific . Between anchorage & Fairbanks we seldom saw cars & the road is in fantastic condition . Put it on cruise & enjoy . If you want to stop & shop you will find Walmart readily available in towns along the way :)

Cliff

In HAL code: R means round trip Seattle so R1C is the same as D1C D (Denali) C (cruise first). You will take the bus from Seattle to Vancouver to begin the cruise. They will fly you from Fairbanks to Seattle at the end. It would be a lot of travel time and probably extra hotel stays on the front and back end.

Y2L is a great Yukon (Y) itinerary for adults, land first(L). Not so good for kids. Too much travel time and it is Vancouver rt.

Can you go into the HAL website and go to the sitemap and select the ebrochures, then go to the Alaska 2019 brochure and you will see all of the options in a very easy to read format.

Ok great, thanks so much, I will go look at the brochure now. Although the idea of not having to do the 12 hour flight from NYC to Anchorage with little ones is appealing, it sounds like the land portion tour of these cruise tours that are round trip to Vancouver or Seattle may still be too much for my kids. No way am I signing up for an 9 hour bus ride from Denali to Seward to catch the ship (which is what a previous poster said the last leg would be). Seems like doing either the 14 day sea only cruise or doing just the 7 day cruise together and having people do what they want on the land are probably our best options.

Ok great, thanks so much, I will go look at the brochure now. Although the idea of not having to do the 12 hour flight from NYC to Anchorage with little ones is appealing, it sounds like the land portion tour of these cruise tours that are round trip to Vancouver or Seattle may still be too much for my kids. No way am I signing up for an 9 hour bus ride from Denali to Seward to catch the ship (which is what a previous poster said the last leg would be). Seems like doing either the 14 day sea only cruise or doing just the 7 day cruise together and having people do what they want on the land are probably our best options.

What you want is the mini bus ride from Anchorage to Seward ;which is 1/2 day like 4 hours . google mini bus ride from Anchorage to Seward & you should come up with the company we used .

We encourage you to do 2 cruises one up & one back .Just be sure that ine cruise line does Glacier Bay & the other does Hubbard Glacier .both you stay on the ship & just keep looking .Balcony cabin is preferable in Alaska for the sights .

Trying to make it easier for you with little ones

By doing 2 cruises you then just have regular coast to coast flights ;which are a lot shorter .Anchorage or Fairbanks to Seattle is a long flight .We did flights Anchorage to Seattle & then Seattle to San Diego on Alaska airlines

Cliff

We did a land/cruise tour last year similar to the 1RC. We flew from SC into Seattle. They transferred by bus to Vancouver. (3-4hours) We boarded the ship and headed for Alaska. (7 days) We got on a bus in Seward and traveled to Denali. (6-7 hour bus ride) Might be a long day for young ones, but we did see many moose and other wildlife. It was late afternoon when we arrived in Denali, and we were on our own for that evening. We had been assigned a time slot for the long wilderness tour into Denali. You could be assigned a mid afternoon time slot for your tour. That would put you getting back 8:00 or 10:00PM. Might be past bed time but you still need to eat dinner. I think it was 11:30 PM when we walked out from dinner. The next morning we boarded the train for the trip back to Anchorage. We were given our room assignments for the night in Anchorage. The next morning transferred by bus to the airport and flew back to Seattle. Transferred to a hotel for the evening and then transferred to airport for trip back to SC the next morning. We had two nights in Denali where yours has three. If I was to do it again I would do the land first then the relaxing cruise. Even though we enjoyed the entire trip the land portion was very tiring. Hope this answers some of your questions.