Anyone know why so many ships are being rerouted from Harvest Caye to Belize City?

danak13

I’ve been reading about a ton of ships changing these two ports and now mine did as well. I’m on the Pearl over Thanksgiving. I actually don’t mind because I’ve been to Harvest Caye and never been to Belize City. Just wondering why so many itineraries are changing.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're booked on the Pearl in December and just got a notice that our Harvest Caye stop has been rerouted to Belize City. We're rather disappointed in the change as we enjoyed Harvest Caye last year on the Jade it was a nice change to Belize City. Belize City is a tender port and quite a dump. Last time we visited we tendered off and walked around for 20 minutes and tendered back to the ship. This year we won't bother and we'll stay on board.

How did you find out? We're on the pearl right after Thanksgiving and Harvest Caye is still on the itinerary. Fingers crossed.

We booked through a travel agency and they just sent us a notice of the itinerary change.

We're booked on the Pearl in December and just got a notice that our Harvest Caye stop has been rerouted to Belize City. We're rather disappointed in the change as we enjoyed Harvest Caye last year on the Jade it was a nice change to Belize City. Belize City is a tender port and quite a dump. Last time we visited we tendered off and walked around for 20 minutes and tendered back to the ship. This year we won't bother and we'll stay on board.

That’s disappointing to hear! We had to tender in roatan last year and it was awful. I’d hate to have two days like that in a row!

I’ve been reading about a ton of ships changing these two ports and now mine did as well. I’m on the Pearl over Thanksgiving. I actually don’t mind because I’ve been to Harvest Caye and never been to Belize City. Just wondering why so many itineraries are changing.

I wish my cruise would change from harvest caye to Belize! I don’t care for harvest Caye and I actually don’t intend to even get off the ship at that port!

Belize City is “ real Belize” nothing like the Harvest Caye tourist trap.

You’ll be glad it switched

Harvest Caye is a free beach or pool day. It is also a rather new stop so many would like to have the opportunity to experience for themselves.

To another poster I received an email a couple of days ago indicating that our Christmas cruise will now stop in Belize City. My Vacation Summary just updated but my Harvest Caye excursions hadn't been cancelled so I'm not able to view the Belize City options in Explore and Plan(I can see them on the general NCL shore excursions search). I'll either call and request cancellation so I can start to plan or hopefully they'll be gone prior to the weekend.

I personally did not find Belize to be a "dump". Actually it is quite beautiful. We gave it more than 20 minutes and did go inland though, maybe that made a difference. I was so disappointed to see that on our next cruise we will stop at HC - maybe we'll get lucky and our itinerary will change!

That’s disappointing to hear! We had to tender in roatan last year and it was awful. I’d hate to have two days like that in a row!

We have tendered several times and never found it awful. If you have a mobility problem, yes, otherwise it is ok. I know it isn't the best way, but not all that awful either

Belize City is “ real Belize” nothing like the Harvest Caye tourist trap.

You’ll be glad it switched

Unless you haven't been to any Mayan ruins, IMHO Harvest Caye is way better than Belize City. We've been to Belize City twice and have no desire to return there ever again.

We have tendered several times and never found it awful. If you have a mobility problem, yes, otherwise it is ok. I know it isn't the best way, but not all that awful either

I've tendered before as well and never minded it until last year's trip on the Pearl. We tendered in Roatan and I don't think we were originally supposed to. The tenders were just the ships lifeboats so super small (watched one poor girl get seasick), we had to wait for hours in the morning to get tender tickets and get off and then still missed our excursion :(

Still had a good time of course but I would hate to do that again at two different stops this year.

I've tendered before as well and never minded it until last year's trip on the Pearl. We tendered in Roatan and I don't think we were originally supposed to. The tenders were just the ships lifeboats so super small (watched one poor girl get seasick), we had to wait for hours in the morning to get tender tickets and get off and then still missed our excursion :(

Still had a good time of course but I would hate to do that again at two different stops this year.

If I remember correctly, in Belize City they don't use the lifeboats as tenders they use the local tenders which are double decker tenders. Plenty of room.

If I remember correctly, in Belize City they don't use the lifeboats as tenders they use the local tenders which are double decker tenders. Plenty of room.

This is accurate based on our experience as well. That tender ride seems like 30 minutes though.......