Join us for a ride on Ama along the Danube

uktog

1 hour ago, ReaderGirl57 said:

Some people dressed up a little more for the concert, but some did not. I wore a casual dress and my husband wore khakis and a collared shirt and we were dressed appropriately. 

Sounds good, very helpful for planning-I don't want to have to pack too much extra but also want to dress for the occasion.

5 hours ago, yoshi said:

Sounds good, very helpful for planning-I don't want to have to pack too much extra but also want to dress for the occasion.

I did a concert with Uniworld in 2011. This was a public event aimed at tourists. Ours was in a non-airconditioned space, and it was HOT. Some people dressed up a bit, but others were in jeans. If you are going in the summer, I wouldn't bother with a jacket if you are a male.

Hello everyone.  I am reading this thread as someone who has not yet taken a river cruise; but am about to book one with Ama.  The OP mentioned not getting toast made correctly.  I thought the breakfast was a buffet;  don't you make your own toast with the machine?  Also Host Jazzabeau;  do you know if the ship host goes on the pre-cruise tours?  We are booking Zurich and Lucerne pre cruise;  you mentioned you did post cruise and the host stayed with you.  Just wondering if they will meet us at the airport and stay with us for the four pre-cruise days.  Thanks

We didn't take the pre-cruise extension (ours was in Amsterdam, which we figured – correctly – would be easy enough to do on our own), but I believe that AMA's practice is to have the Cruise Director stay with the group from pre- through cruise to post- for continuity.

1 hour ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

We didn't take the pre-cruise extension (ours was in Amsterdam, which we figured – correctly – would be easy enough to do on our own), but I believe that AMA's practice is to have the Cruise Director stay with the group from pre- through cruise to post- for continuity.

I have another question for you;  since you have been on more than one river cruise; do the different river cruise lines have same system as ocean cruise lines; meaning do they offer a special discount;  so if I book a river cruise next week; and three months later Ama offers a discount with cruise and airfare;  can you just canx and rebook; or is there a better way?  Also have you used the river cruise airfare package;  are they as good as let's say Princess EZ Air?  Thank you for your answers 

I have another question for anyone who has been on both Ama and Viking.  On Viking they show a 360 video which shows breakfast outside on the back or front deck.  Does Ama do this too?   For the breakfast buffet; do both Ama and Viking have pancakes, waffles, for breakfast every day?  Thanks

AMA requires a $200 per person deposit, which is non-refundable.  I haven't tried it with AMA, but small-ship cruise lines (ocean or river) tend to be less liberal with rebooking to get a lower fare.

We booked our air through them for the first river cruise.  AMA offered a good deal for a non-stop itinerary we had found on United, and we were able to upgrade to Economy Plus with United.  Unlike Viking, AMA didn't charge any fees to specify which flights we wanted.  In addition to getting a lower fare than booking direct, we also got airport transfers included because we had booked through AMA.  

We have not booked air through any cruise line since then because we realized that it is vital to fly out 2 days early (one for jet lag plus one for insurance), and we have read too many stories on Cruise Critic about people who book through a cruise line being treated as second class by the airlines.  [I notice that our United confirmation says 'BULK' so they knew we had paid less.]

On AMA breakfast and lunch are buffet plus menu.  I treated the buffets as salad/fruit bars.  I don't remember if they offered pancakes and waffles every day because I almost always ordered Eggs Benedict for breakfast, which were made for me and brought to the table.  At lunch I usually ordered one of the entree choices from the menu.  AMA has a pastry chef on board so all breads and desserts are fresh and yummy [some lines buy their bread along the route].  They also had a soup chef [not sous chef – this is a guy whose full-time job is making soup] – the cream soups were so good that I have to lay off after a couple of days or my pants wouldn't have fit!

AmaCello didn't have any outdoor dining areas (it is their oldest generation of ship and only 110m long).  AmaSerena (your intended ship) has an Al Fresco dining area at the front of the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our choice of excursions in Weissenkirchen would be either : A Highlights of Durnstein and Melk Abbey or B Wissenkirchen walking tour and Melk Abbey.Which is better?

Our choice in Passat is A. City of Three Rivers walking tour or B Passat Castle Hike- which is better.

Can anyone make a recommendation for Lintz excursions. I really would like to see Cesky Krumlov in the afternoon, which means I cannot take full day Saltzburg excursion and must do UNESCO City of Media Arts tour. Has anyone done these to compare?