TSA Pre Check Question

Luvcrusn

We just returned from Rome. TSA precheck line was way longer than the traditional line without precheck.

I assume you mean GE?

I would also assume it was the GE queue on re-entry to the USA that was meant, since Italy is not on the list for foreign Preclearance location and TSA Pre does not operate anywhere outside the USA, Puerto Rico, Guam, and US Virgin Islands and even then only on departures, not arrivals. While it does happen that sometimes the Regular Joe queue is actually faster (not just shorter, since processing time is less for GE so lines move faster) that's not even remotely the norm.

We've experienced only one airport and two land border crossings ever where we were slowed by using the priority lane (still done in less than seven minutes every time, so would not have saved much time at all by changing to the regular lanes - plus, we'd already saved at least 10 minutes from using the shorter Security line before we hit the Preclearance area at the airport so were still ahead overall). On the other end, I can count at least twenty times that we have saved over 30 minutes, and at least a half-dozen where we've saved over an hour. The single best thing we have ever spent money on for travel is our $10 a year for our Trusted Traveler program (NEXUS - if you can make it to an interview location, it includes all TSA Pre and GE benefits plus more, for half the price!)

You are expected to update your passport info as their database holds the expiry date. If you were to get stopped and they checked you would lose your global entry.

It is very easy to log in to your account and update your passport number. No cost. No interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I want to thank all of you that provided information on the need to update the passport information. I updated my wife’s account yesterday. Since the previous GOES account sign was not longer valid, I had to register for a sign in on the TTP. Their security protocols are interesting, but it all worked. I also had to activate our cards, which I did not realize.

We received GE prior to 2017.

Thanks, again.

I want to thank all of you that provided information on the need to update the passport information. I updated my wife’s account yesterday. Since the previous GOES account sign was not longer valid, I had to register for a sign in on the TTP. Their security protocols are interesting, but it all worked. I also had to activate our cards, which I did not realize.

We received GE prior to 2017.

Thanks, again.

I think you mean you have to update and activate Global Entry and not TSA Precheck. Precheck alone has no card.

Since so many here seem to know a lot about TSA Pre-check, let me ask you all about this one:

I have never applied for anything, never filled out a form nor had an interview...and have never paid a fee...

However, for the past several years, whenever my wife and I travel (and we fly quite a bit), when we print out our boarding passes, they always say "TSA PRECHECK"...and, of course, we always avail ourselves of the pre-check line...

Anyone have any idea as to why we get this treatment?

Since so many here seem to know a lot about TSA Pre-check, let me ask you all about this one:

I have never applied for anything, never filled out a form nor had an interview...and have never paid a fee...

However, for the past several years, whenever my wife and I travel (and we fly quite a bit), when we print out our boarding passes, they always say "TSA PRECHECK"...and, of course, we always avail ourselves of the pre-check line...

Anyone have any idea as to why we get this treatment?

It is sometimes "randomly" given to passengers, especially older passengers and frequent flyers known to a particular airline. Prior to applying for and getting TSA Precheck DH or I had it issued but there was no pattern and sometimes only one of us got it. Since we were travelling together, we went through the regular line when that occurred, but it spurred us to apply. It does expedite things when going through airport security. Also, the times we took advantage of the Luggage Valet program after a cruise we seemed to get the TSA Precheck on our boarding passes prior to getting accepted into the program.

I think you mean you have to update and activate Global Entry and not TSA Precheck. Precheck alone has no card.

Isn’t TTP the same as GE? Yes, you are correct, I thought I was updated the GE as I did not realize that it had to be updated until I read it on this thread.

Are you saying that TTP is TSA Pre check and not GE?

Did I do something incorrect?

Thanks

Isn’t TTP the same as GE? Yes, you are correct, I thought I was updated the GE as I did not realize that it had to be updated until I read it on this thread.

Are you saying that TTP is TSA Pre check and not GE?

Did I do something incorrect?

Thanks

TTP is the same as GE. The name is changed on the WEB address to TTP. TTP encompasses TSA Pre Check but; TSA Pre Check is not TTP. GE covers three programs one being TTP. Ahh, Washington, DC the capital of ABCs, Acronyms and Obfuscation. :')

Ramona

Edited by NotThePest_Too
Clarity

TTP is the same as GE. The name is changed on the WEB address to TTP. TTP encompasses TSA Pre Check but; TSA Pre Check is not TTP. GE covers three programs one being TTP. Ahh, Washington, DC the capital of ABCs, Acronyms and Obfuscation. :')

Ramona

Close, but no. There are four Trusted Traveler Programs administered by Customs and Border Protection: Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri, and FAST. The first two include TSA Pre Check. All four require enrollment through the CBP TTP website. TSA Pre Check is a Trusted Traveler Program administered by the TSA through its own website.

TSA is a program run by TSA. It allows for expedited security screening when going to your flight originating in the US. For example you won't have to remove shoes, belt, jacket, computer, 3-1-1 bag. If accepted you are issued a KTN known travellor number) that you must include when making an airline reservation. There is no card issued. You'll only receive a letter.

The program has an $85 fee and is good for 5 years.

Global entry is run by and applied for through Customs and Border Protection through the TTP (Trusted Traveller Program) portal. It allows for expedited entry to the United States from abroad through Customs and Immigration. The fee is $100 for 5 years and it includes TSA Precheck. You are issued a Global Entry card which must be activated once you receive it. Hope this helps clear up the confusion. I've left out some details for brevity's sake but this gives a summary.

Close, but no. There are four Trusted Traveler Programs administered by Customs and Border Protection: Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri, and FAST. The first two include TSA Pre Check. All four require enrollment through the CBP TTP website. TSA Pre Check is a Trusted Traveler Program administered by the TSA through its own website.
It's to the wood shed I go, off by one. That's 75%[emoji4]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

TSA is a program run by TSA. It allows for expedited security screening when going to your flight originating in the US. For example you won't have to remove shoes, belt, jacket, computer, 3-1-1 bag. If accepted you are issued a KTN known travellor number) that you must include when making an airline reservation. There is no card issued. You'll only receive a letter.

The program has an $85 fee and is good for 5 years.

Global entry is run by and applied for through Customs and Border Protection through the TTP (Trusted Traveller Program) portal. It allows for expedited entry to the United States from abroad through Customs and Immigration. The fee is $100 for 5 years and it includes TSA Precheck. You are issued a Global Entry card which must be activated once you receive it. Hope this helps clear up the confusion. I've left out some details for brevity's sake but this gives a summary.

I should be OK. There was either a change to the GE program or I previously missed that the card had to be activated. I updated my information on the TTP website and activated my card. My known traveler number has always been on my card.

The PreTSA portion has always worked properly. I may not have noticed that the GE portion through customs and immigration was not working, because my entries in the last few years has been via cruise ports.

Thank you for the clarification.

We are looking to do GE to help with obvious travel/air/security etc

Will this make check-in for Embarkation any faster? for sailing

TYIA

No. It will help with disembarkation if you are disembarking in Port Everglades or Port of Miami. It will expedite customs and immigration leaving the ship and the precheck portion will help with check in at security if you're flying home.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

No. It will help with disembarkation if you are disembarking in Port Everglades or Port of Miami. It will expedite customs and immigration leaving the ship and the precheck portion will help with check in at security if you're flying home.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

'Thank you

Will it expedite immigration in the EU for example?

We are looking to do GE to help with obvious travel/air/security etc

Will this make check-in for Embarkation any faster? for sailing

TYIA

It might help a little if you are embarking on a cruise from Vancouver and one of your ports is in USA. I boarded late on my last cruise from Vancouver and there were no lines anywhere, so GE card was not useful. But it wouldn't hurt to bring it with you when departing Vancouver"s Canada Place.

'Thank you

Will it expedite immigration in the EU for example?

It will not be useful when entering the EU. It would be useful if you are returning to USA from one of the few countries that have US Immigration Pre clearance facilities.

TSA Pre-check and Global Entry are US programs, designed to be used in the US.

No. These are all US government programs. When you enter the EU, it will be the government of the country you are entering that oversees immigration, not the US government.

TY

I wasn't sure if there was reciprocity.

TY

I wasn't sure if there was reciprocity.

There are varying agreements. For instance, with enrollment, you’re able to use the E-Passport gates in Germany. The UK has their own program, but it’s aimed at frequent (4X/year) visitors

There’s a list with links on the CBP web page.