Has anyone heard back from NCL after 9/9/18 sailing?

Wyoming2010

Never gotten a survey - ever. Don't think that would matter much.

I've written one letter to a CEO in the last 25+ years and it was to NCL recently. They must have handed it off to an intern that can't read as they finally replied many weeks later with a letter talking about things not even related to the short and concise issue I wrote about. It also talked about them following up with me. Now four months later, that other department has not shared a word.

IMO - let it go.

I thank those who have responded specifically to my original query. I just wanted to see who heard anything. Thank you for your input. Once the four of us got our letters out, we knew that was all we could do. We honestly don't expect anything -- but that's on them. They also shouldn't expect to see us cross their doorways again ;)

I wonder why so many didn't get a survey. Seems odd all the guests wouldn't get one.

I wasn't "looking" for anything.

There was another thread started about someone who had a problem with their verandah door and a coupe of issues with their excursions -- and NCL gave them 25% back! So apparently their comp decisions are a little skewed in my opinion.

I'm confused, were you or were you not looking for something, because if you weren't, then what someone else got should be a moot point?

Missed ports and changed itineraries always get people angry but the reasons why are just the nature of cruising. Would it disappoint me to miss Bermuda? Oh yes definitely. But I realize it would not be possible to go there and must adjust my attitude.

Yes, we get why the itinerary was changed and I never commented on any anger or frustration over the missed ports -- for which itinerary they changed three times. Our frustration comes in the lack of refunds for port fees, etc. I don't ever expect them to do anything now -- they missed that chance while we were onboard.

I'm confused, were you or were you not looking for something, because if you weren't, then what someone else got should should be a moot point?

Plain and simple, for the Nth time, we were hoping to get our port fees back -- and had the delirious dream that they would provide some sort of comp for the vast difference in cruise costs. Once we got off the ship, and they did nothing to comp onboard, the only battle now becomes refund of port fees! NCL has proven they don't value their customer's experiences. ;)

But all this is skewing my original inquiry and frankly I think the battle of what they should have done as good business is now moot.

I just simply wanted to know what others heard from NCL in response to their inquiries. That's all. I don't want this to turn into another bashing thread over those who don't agree with other's opinions.

Okay, that makes more sense, then you were looking for something.

Yes, what was due to us. We don't expect any free comps and knew that was never going to be on the table once we walked off the ship ;)

It is obvious that the NCL supporters will back their brand, and I get it.

Yes, what was due to us. We don't expect any free comps and knew that was never going to be on the table once we walked off the ship ;)

It is obvious that the NCL supporters will back their brand, and I get it.

I never said you were right or wrong or that NCL was right or wrong, just trying to understand if you were or were not looking for something, because you said you were and then you said you weren't.

If you are looking for missed port port fees or the difference in port fees between one port or another, you should write another letter just requesting that and leave everything else out of the letter, because it has no bearing on your port fee request. I'm sure you will agree, that they probably got letters from passengers demanding a partial refund, full refund, free cruise, etc., so those, like you, that were just looking for answers on the port fees probably got mixed up with all those that wanted something. Try again and might get you an answer you are looking for.

I never said you were right or wrong or that NCL was right or wrong, just trying to understand if you were or were not looking for something, because you said you were and then you said you weren't.

If you are looking for missed port port fees or the difference in port fees between one port or another, you should write another letter just requesting that and leave everything else out of the letter, because it has no bearing on your port fee request. I'm sure you will agree, that they probably got letters from passengers demanding a partial refund, full refund, free cruise, etc., so those, like you, that were just looking for answers on the port fees probably got mixed up with all those that wanted something. Try again and might get you an answer you are looking for.

Thanks.

You don't have the right to request that just because you don't like the topic. My query was whether anyone has heard from NCL after their letters and emails were sent. It has to do with our particular cruise. No need to bash.

No one REQUESTED anything, but anyone can REQUEST anything at all just as you can REQUEST compensation that you are not due.

No one REQUESTED anything, but anyone can REQUEST anything at all just as you can REQUEST compensation that you are not due.

Whatever -- you are welcome to your opinion :confused:

I really do wish though that only those involved in this discussion respond as they are the only ones who can answer my original inquiry. If you weren't on this sailing, then you really won't get it.

I'm a bit confused. I have not followed any of the other threads mentioned about this. If I understand, OP you were on the Escape that set sail on 9/9/2018. You were to have stops in Nassau and Bermuda and 5 days at sea. Instead, are you saying you had six days at sea and a stop in Port Canaveral? If so, they refunded the $30/pp for Nassau as OBC? How do you know the port fees and taxes for individual ports? I have only ever seen it lumped together as one charge. This leads to how do you know that arriving at Port Canaveral wasn't more expensive and the cruise line ate the costs?

I'm not arguing, I am simply confused and trying to figure it out. I have never had a cruise need to deviate. However, I would assume that planning the ports months in advance allows for negotiation of port fees. While asking at the last minute to dock may have led to fees at Canaveral being higher than normal.

As for hearing back from NCL, I wouldn't hold your breath. It has become my belief that using twitter is the only way to get responses. Also, have you tried posting this in the Roll Call for that sailing? Those people were more likely to offer the answer to your question...

I'm a bit confused. I have not followed any of the other threads mentioned about this. If I understand, OP you were on the Escape that set sail on 9/9/2018. You were to have stops in Nassau and Bermuda and 5 days at sea. Instead, are you saying you had six days at sea and a stop in Port Canaveral? If so, they refunded the $30/pp for Nassau as OBC? How do you know the port fees and taxes for individual ports? I have only ever seen it lumped together as one charge. This leads to how do you know that arriving at Port Canaveral wasn't more expensive and the cruise line ate the costs?

I'm not arguing, I am simply confused and trying to figure it out. I have never had a cruise need to deviate. However, I would assume that planning the ports months in advance allows for negotiation of port fees. While asking at the last minute to dock may have led to fees at Canaveral being higher than normal.

As for hearing back from NCL, I wouldn't hold your breath. It has become my belief that using twitter is the only way to get responses.

We were scheduled for 2-1/2 days in Bermuda and paid $412 in port fees. They changed the itinerary to Nassau/Port Canaveral/Great Stirrup Cay. They refunded $30 pp OBC the day after we left NYC, telling us it was for the difference in port fees for cancelling Bermuda. But then they changed the itinerary again and cancelled Nassau two days later, but did not address a refund of those port fees. I was told there are no port fees (by their rep) for their island, so all in all we paid $350 to port in Port Canaveral and our cruise ended up with five days at sea. I really doubt that PC port fees are $175 each. And their own website shows the cruise prices for the PC itinerary at least $400 less than what we paid. And that's it in a nutshell. I'm done explaining.

Edited by Wyoming2010

I wasn't "looking" for anything. I can get fish at my diner and not find bones. For the four of us to not only find bones at every meal, but to find lobster shells in the bisque -- that's just not the norm nor acceptable in any way. Once or even twice I can let slide, but four different meals, not so much.

To each their own, but the four of us did not find this cruise relaxing in any way as we had to keep calling guest services or housekeeping or the waiter for something to be fixed, cleaned or replaced. It became exhausting. ;) Instead of vacationing, we were constantly trying to fix their problems. There was another thread started about someone who had a problem with their verandah door and a coupe of issues with their excursions -- and NCL gave them 25% back! So apparently their comp decisions are a little skewed in my opinion.

I'm sorry. My post was not directed at you. It was directed loosely at other posters about complaints. We all drifted off topic.

No survey? And others saying to never receive one? I've gotten one every cruise. That's not right. Please someone use "first world problems" because that's all that's missing. So sick of that...every damn cruise problem is first world...so over it. Let people complain, it is part of a critique.

It has never happened to me, but I thought they refunded it onboard in the form of OBC.

That has been my experience. On two different NCL cruises this year plus one cruise last year, we (and everyone else on board) received a refundable OBC of $20-$30 p.p. as refund of some European port taxes, even though no ports were missed on the itinerary. There were no "official" annoncement regarding the refund, it just showed up on everyones ship account as refundable OBC. And when I asked at guest services what it was for, they said that it was some port taxes and that everyone received a refund.

We were scheduled for 2-1/2 days in Bermuda and paid $412 in port fees. They changed the itinerary to Nassau/Port Canaveral/Great Stirrup Cay. They refunded $30 pp OBC the day after we left NYC, telling us it was for the difference in port fees for cancelling Bermuda. But then they changed the itinerary again and cancelled Nassau two days later, but did not address a refund of those port fees. I was told there are no port fees (by their rep) for their island, so all in all we paid $350 to port in Port Canaveral and our cruise ended up with five days at sea. I really doubt that PC port fees are $175 each. And their own website shows the cruise prices for the PC itinerary at least $400 less than what we paid. And that's it in a nutshell. I'm done explaining.

So let’s make we understand Your explanation.

You paid $350 for the “Government Taxes, Port Expenses, and Fees” line item per the passenger contract you signed.

Taxes didn’t change. Not sure about fees.

You originally had one port. You ended up with two ports as sailed (one of which may/may not have any fees due to the Bahamas).

And got a credit already.

So let’s make we understand Your explanation.

You paid $350 for the “Government Taxes, Port Expenses, and Fees” line item per the passenger contract you signed.

Taxes didn’t change. Not sure about fees.

You originally had one port. You ended up with two ports as sailed (one of which may/may not have any fees due to the Bahamas).

And got a credit already.

I was on this sailing as well. We were scheduled to go to Bermuda and dock for 2 and a half days. That was then changed to Port Canaveral, great stirrup cay and Nassau. We were refunded 30 pp for the change of Itinerary difference in port fees on day two. But Nassau was then cancelled. No refund on Nassau port fees. That is all the op is trying to say

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We never even got the survey.

We sent a letter -- nothing yet.

Sent the email we were advised to send, and the response was basically "no comp for anyone for anything".

My frustration comes in the fact that they did not refund our Nassau port fee, nor comp anything for the difference in price. Let's face it, paid a higher fare for the privilege of sailing to two ports and five sea days. We paid $412 in port fees, they returned $60 ($30 each) for Bermuda, so we basically paid $350 to port in Port Canaveral! That's just nuts.

My comparison comes in what other cruise lines did for their guests; so please don't lecture me about the contract we signed and it was hurricane season, yada yada yada. I know. Yes, the change in itinerary was disappointing, but we and the couple we were traveling with also had too many issues onboard with food (bones in all the fish dishes we got), food service (some very clueless waitstaff), our room steward and our room being filthy upon arrival (shades of Pride of America), internet not working consistently, and dining reservations being messed up and onboard account being wrong too many times. We spent way too much time in line at customer service to fix things! Too many problems when you're supposed to be on vacation and not taking care of business ;)

I am simply talking about good business practice and common decency to acknowledge the passenger experience and offer something that might keep us coming back. On that note, we won't be back to NCL, and I'm relieved as after 18 cruises, the only problems we've had on cruise were on the three we took with NCL :confused:

Just curious, did anyone else get any responses or offers or acknowledgement?

The few times we have missed a port due to weather or whatever we have always received a credit for the port charges even though it is usually a very small amount. When they have simply substituted one port for another we haven't. :confused: