Price drops--no credit

happytalk44

I found today that our B2B2B for the Far East in October 2019 had a significant price drop in one of the segments. I contacted my TA re: this and have been informed that the price at booking is "locked in" and can not be changed.

Interesting-- and I will never book Viking Ocean again. Stuck now as my insurance is paid.

Just FYI for anyone who wants to book a VO!

I found today that our B2B2B for the Far East in October 2019 had a significant price drop in one of the segments. I contacted my TA re: this and have been informed that the price at booking is "locked in" and can not be changed.

Interesting-- and I will never book Viking Ocean again. Stuck now as my insurance is paid.

One of the reasons we never book early, VO or any line. There are always deals as time goes on.

Most cruise lines honour price drops up to final payment date. VO must be different from most.

Most cruise lines honour price drops up to final payment date. VO must be different from most.

EVERY other cruise line we have sailed has honored price drops, even the recent Seabourn Alaska. If VO is firm on this we will not book till last minute. If we miss it so what? Lots of options out there.

Just because you and your travel agent assumed that Viking would adjust fares, doesn't make it so. Airlines don't give you money back if the price drops. Car dealers don't give you money back and other than that some cruise lines do it, you shouldn't reasonably expect all cruise lines to have the same business model.

Viking is different from other cruise lines. It does not play the pricing games that other cruise lines play and once on board, you won't be nickeled-and-dimed to pay for this that and the other thing in order to make up for a cut-rate fare that was simply used to entice you on board knowing they would make it up later--and in spades.

You have plunked down a goodly sum of money for your B2B2B and while you are a bit annoyed now, you have a year to get over it, so that you can actually enjoy your vacation, which all of us here are sure that you will. There is more to like about Viking than there is to dislike.

We have always had price drops honored by cruise lines - Oceania, Regent Seven Seas...... "Gotcha" is not a game you want to play if you want to develop a 'relationship' with clients - you'll get your $$$ once, and you'll never see them again, or their friends.

Just because you and your travel agent assumed that Viking would adjust fares, doesn't make it so. Airlines don't give you money back if the price drops. Car dealers don't give you money back and other than that some cruise lines do it, you shouldn't reasonably expect all cruise lines to have the same business model.

Viking is different from other cruise lines. It does not play the pricing games that other cruise lines play and once on board, you won't be nickeled-and-dimed to pay for this that and the other thing in order to make up for a cut-rate fare that was simply used to entice you on board knowing they would make it up later--and in spades.

You have plunked down a goodly sum of money for your B2B2B and while you are a bit annoyed now, you have a year to get over it, so that you can actually enjoy your vacation, which all of us here are sure that you will. There is more to like about Viking than there is to dislike.

Thank you for your thoughts. Many of your comments do not address my issue but it is kind of you to take the time to respond. As I was merely hoping to get the price drop of several thousand dollars it seemed appropriate for me to ask. We have cruised many times on lines and are not "nickel- and- dimed" and do not cruise on "cut-rate" fares.

Again, I thank you for your thoughts but I doubt you really know if I will "get over it".

Just a thought for your next cruise..if you don’t have any health problems, my DH and I don’t, we wait until our final payment to buy our insurance ..we use an online insurance co. Viking only charge a $100.00 pp cancel fee.

Unless the cruise is fully booked now, have your TA cancel the cruise and rebook at the lower rate. I assume you are far outside the final payment window.

This is why most lines honor price drops outside the final payment window.

Good one Ragnar. We have done this but more recently on SeaDream and Seabourn we had price drops honored AFTER the final pay date as well. Of course you have to be one of those (like me) who watches pricing even after final pay. The old line "what you don't know won't hurt you" comes to mind as modern cruise line business model. There are always deals later. If you just have to have your cabin number a year and a half out and don't care that your neighbor on board will have paid a few thousand less, then don't worry. This is supposed to be fun, folks. Do what makes you happy.:cool:

Hi Happytalk, just noticed you said insurance was paid. Was that through VO? And is that why you can’t cancel and re-book?

Seems we need a discussion of how insurance plays into booking strategy also.

Viking seems to regularly monitor threads here, and comments occasionally. This is one of those threads that I'd certainly like to see Viking's response to the concerns raised by its customers about credits on price drops before the final payment date.

Hi Happytalk, just noticed you said insurance was paid. Was that through VO? And is that why you can’t cancel and re-book?

Seems we need a discussion of how insurance plays into booking strategy also.

Yes, insurance is with VO. Had to do it at booking due to the pre-existing clause.

Why would you have paid your insurance for a trip over a year from now? When i book cruise, I insure my down payment, then insure the total cost of cruise when final payment, then add post cruise stay if I book those ... and airline ticket cost when I pay for them.

BTW, I have been watching Vking price drops for over a year. They are very speciific, and last only for a week or so. They either are $XX off cruise price pp or, reduction in air fare, or pay V veranda price and get any DV cabin category.

They are not like other lines that have a rolling sales weekly.

In your case you , did you get a really good deal booking B2B overall.?

so it is one of segment price that you want to change? but you want to keep your price for the other parts?

Ah, I see. The pre-existing conditions thing IS tricky. I can see how you could get locked in. Try to forget about it and just have a good time :D

Yes, if you buy Viking insurance within 14 days of deposited booking, they include the "cancel for any reason" coverage. After that it is very expensive (Viking and the market) to buy the any reason coverage. It is an incentive for sure.

Actually United does. In a form of a certificate valid for a full year. I used them a few times

I believe you can cancel (pay cancellation fee $100 pp) and rebook your cruise at the lower price. Then ask to have your insurance transfered to your new booking.

Other cruiselines have made us cancel our existing cruise booking and rebook at the lower price as a new booking , but could not guarantee I would get the same cabin I previously held.

As someone who actually read the Terms and Conditions on Viking's website before booking my first cruise, I read the following section in which it is clearly stated that changing to a promotional fare is considered a cancellation with cancellation fees involve. That section can be found in the following link:

http://www.vikingcruises.com/terms-conditions/index.html

I have to say that this was a positive for me as I knew that the fare churning so common on other lines would not allowed on Viking and that Viking would not be allowing for the nickel and diming by the passengers of the cruise fare when calculating the per diem value per passenger that Viking would have available to spend on the expenses of provisioning the cruise or providing entertainment.

By the way, the cruise fare and airfare has increased for my cruise since I booked. Viking has not asked for the difference and I have not called to volunteer to pay the increase.

As someone who actually read the Terms and Conditions on Viking's website before booking my first cruise, I read the following section in which it is clearly stated that changing to a promotional fare is considered a cancellation with cancellation fees involve. That section can be found in the following link:

www.vikingcruises.com/terms-conditions/index.html

I have to say that this was a positive for me as I knew that the fare churning so common on other lines would not allowed on Viking and that Viking would not be allowing for the nickel and diming by the passengers of the cruise fare when calculating the per diem value per passenger that Viking would have available to spend on the expenses of provisioning the cruise or providing entertainment.

By the way, the cruise fare and airfare has increased for my cruise since I booked. Viking has not asked for the difference and I have not called to volunteer to pay the increase.

This price drop is not a promotional fare. it is an actual drop in price.

I would not expect any cruise line to ask for extra money for increases. However, your passage contract does state that they have that option.

You know, I don't think the sarcasm helps when the purpose of my original post was informational only. Pure FYI for those who might not know Viking's policy. I did not expect a Go Fund Me account! Concerning yourself with my reading skills is not really helpful, is it?

And I provided Viking's policy on such matters for those who are unaware of them. No sarcasm was intended.

There is a lot of information in the Viking Terms and Conditions that anyone who is not familiar with Viking (as I was not familiar with the line) should be interested in reading instead of assuming that all cruise lines are the same.

And those differences are the reason we decided to give Viking a try.

And I provided Viking's policy on such matters for those who are unaware of them. No sarcasm was intended.

There is a lot of information in the Viking Terms and Conditions that anyone who is not familiar with Viking (as I was not familiar with the line) should be interested in reading instead of assuming that all cruise lines are the same.

And those differences are the reason we decided to give Viking a try.

I agree with you.

And for further informational purposes when I booked I was informed by my Viking rep that I was locked in at my booking price. But if the prices increased in the future and I wanted to upgrade to a higher category cabin, I would get it at the lower price that the upgraded cabin was when I originally booked. I would be ahead in that case. If I wanted to take advantage of future possible lower fares I needed to cancel the booking and rebook at the new rate.

Also when the fares decrease they are considered promotional fares. I asked about that too.