Breakaway Return To NYC on 10/27

neilkear

I'm going to be on the Breakaway in 18 days and I believe I'm all ready to go. In looking through all my docs online I only just noticed that it shows an arrival time back in NYC at 10am on the 27th. Not being a veteran cruiser I was surprised because reading on all these boards it seemed that all the ships got back early morning and were emptied by 10 or 10:30. Could this be a typo or will I still be cruising when I wake up on disembarkation day.

Usually, ships doing weekly RT typically get back early but even for mega-ships, it's not uncommon for them to be still coming off the gangways at 10'o clock if CBP downstairs are backed up.

BA is doing a T/A crossing and the port clearance & CBP inspection can take longer, even if it's ahead of scheduled arrival on that day by a 2 or 3 hours.

Just like airlines padded their timetable for on-time stats, this would help discourage folks from booking flights too close to disembarkation & 1,000+ passengers all rushing toward the exit with their (oversized) rollers & spinners.

Usually, ships doing weekly RT typically get back early but even for mega-ships, it's not uncommon for them to be still coming off the gangways at 10'o clock if CBP downstairs are backed up. I am not referring to coming off the ship at 10am, that's the time they show to come to dockside

BA is doing a T/A crossing and the port clearance & CBP inspection can take longer, even if it's ahead of scheduled arrival on that day by a 2 or 3 hours. 10am on the 27th is my return from 11 days to Eastern Caribbean, last stop Tortola. Trans Atlantic comes from Copenhagen and arrives 10/16 @8am, which is when I board for my cruise that returns NYC on the 27th @10am

You always have great advice mking8288 but your time frame is just a wee off on this one, my friend.

I understand you question as we board on the 28th for the repo and I am trying to figure out exactly how they are going to have all those folks leave AND board us in 6 hours. I know it is just 2 hours later than normal, but that seem like a BIG 2 hours.

I understand you question as we board on the 28th for the repo and I am trying to figure out exactly how they are going to have all those folks leave AND board us in 6 hours. I know it is just 2 hours later than normal, but that seem like a BIG 2 hours.

I wonder that also and if your doing the repo ending up in NOLA you board on the 27th not 28th.

We who are boarding Breakaway on the 27th have talked extensively about the late arrival time that morning. We believe part of the reason may be that Gem has a scheduled return to NY at 8am and they may not want the arrival hall in use for 2 cruises at once. Disembark Gem, then Disembark Breakway. If they are on opposite sides of the same pier. If Gem is on the other pier, then it's less a concern, except that the port would be choked by arrivals and departures of two ships at the same time.. running out of cabs etc. Also the longshoremen, security and immigration crews are probably better utilized one ship at a time.

So I would expect you will be docking between 8 and 9 instead of the usual 6-7am. And disembarkation will be later, and maybe start 9 to 9:30ish as Gem gets done.

In any event, we can expect a very busy port that morning!

We who are boarding Breakaway on the 27th have talked extensively about the late arrival time that morning. We believe part of the reason may be that Gem has a scheduled return to NY at 8am and they may not want the arrival hall in use for 2 cruises at once. Disembark Gem, then Disembark Breakway. If they are on opposite sides of the same pier. If Gem is on the other pier, then it's less a concern, except that the port would be choked by arrivals and departures of two ships at the same time.. running out of cabs etc. Also the longshoremen, security and immigration crews are probably better utilized one ship at a time.

So I would expect you will be docking between 8 and 9 instead of the usual 6-7am. And disembarkation will be later, and maybe start 9 to 9:30ish as Gem gets done.

Gem shows as 28th along with Escape on the NYC cruise schedule https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/ . While NCL shows 27th, getting confusing.

Edited by neilkear
addition

Usually, ships doing weekly RT typically get back early but even for mega-ships, it's not uncommon for them to be still coming off the gangways at 10'o clock if CBP downstairs are backed up.

BA is doing a T/A crossing and the port clearance & CBP inspection can take longer, even if it's ahead of scheduled arrival on that day by a 2 or 3 hours.

Just like airlines padded their timetable for on-time stats, this would help discourage folks from booking flights too close to disembarkation & 1,000+ passengers all rushing toward the exit with their (oversized) rollers & spinners.

Wrong cruise. Not the TA. The OP is talking about the following cruise.

Gem shows as 28th along with Escape on the NYC cruise schedule https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/ . While NCL shows 27th, getting confusing.

You have to go by the date published on NCL's itinerary, not what's on nycruise.com. The nycruise.com port schedule is made up far in advance and they don't always revise it when a cruise line changes their itinerary. NCL probably changed its cruising schedule after nycruise.com published its list. Per NCL's itineraries, Gem and Breakaway arrive and depart on the 27th. Escape arrives and departs on the 28th.

Call NCL and get direct information re: arrival time.

I am assuming that you do not have flight or train reservations that may be impacted by the apparent arrival time of 10 AM.

The cruise has a published arrival time of 10 am. The edocs the OP is looking at is consistent with the published itinerary for the cruise. (Not a late arrival,,, just unusual). And doesn’t necessarily support the 4 pm departure of the follow on cruise. So there should not be any early flights/trains.

Your cruise embarks on the 27th not the 28th.

Normally when NCL has a large ship such as Breakaway or Escape in NY the same day as a smaller ship such as the Gem, the smaller ship docks at Pier 90, using the north side berth. The large ship has to dock on the north side of 88 because that's the only berth with the proper gangways that can handle the big ships. There's no way 88 can handle two ships disembarking and embarking on the same day when one of them is a mega ship. The only time they've had two disembarking/embarking ships at 88 the same day is when they're both smaller. For example a couple of years ago they had the Gem and Jewel using 88 on the same day. They normally allow only a ship making a port call to use the south berth of 88 when a mega ship is in port.

There's a complication currently because 90 was damaged a few weeks ago by Carnival Horizon and may not yet be usable. If it's not, the Gem might have to use pier 92.

Thanks.. I suspected Gem would be at Pier 90 assuming the damage is contained. But the timing is still probably so the dock crews, luggage crews and immigration can spread their time out between the 2 arrivals!

So....what time should those embarking BA arrive? Standard 10:30 -11:30 or earlier/later? I’ve never sailed out of NYC so I’m curious how crowded it might be?

So....what time should those embarking BA arrive? Standard 10:30 -11:30 or earlier/later? I’ve never sailed out of NYC so I’m curious how crowded it might be?

Well that's the big question for us boarders, isn't it. I am lucky that I am in a hotel 1000 feet from the pier and so I plan to walk over and figure out exactly when disembarkation starts and decide when to walk over.

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that Breakaway starts disembarkation AFTER Gem finishes, because the immigration officials are one team and will need to handle Gem first, and then start Breakaway. So Gem 7:30 to 9:30, and Breakaway 9:30-11:30, and our boarding starts closer to 12:30 than the usual 11:30.

So I don't think getting there 10:30 is a good ideal. More like 11:00-11:30.

That's my plan anyway!

I'm on this cruise also and noticed the same thing a few months ago. After doing some research, the best I could find was that they actually put the disembark time for later in hopes that people won't schedule early AM flights. That might not be the case but I took it as a good enough answer. Have a great cruise!

Normally when NCL has a large ship such as Breakaway or Escape in NY the same day as a smaller ship such as the Gem, the smaller ship docks at Pier 90, using the north side berth. The large ship has to dock on the north side of 88 because that's the only berth with the proper gangways that can handle the big ships. There's no way 88 can handle two ships disembarking and embarking on the same day when one of them is a mega ship. The only time they've had two disembarking/embarking ships at 88 the same day is when they're both smaller. For example a couple of years ago they had the Gem and Jewel using 88 on the same day. They normally allow only a ship making a port call to use the south berth of 88 when a mega ship is in port.

There's a complication currently because 90 was damaged a few weeks ago by Carnival Horizon and may not yet be usable. If it's not, the Gem might have to use pier 92.

Thanks.. I suspected Gem would be at Pier 90 assuming the damage is contained. But the timing is still probably so the dock crews, luggage crews and immigration can spread their time out between the 2 arrivals!

The AIDAluna is also docked that day, but is only laying over from the 26th to the 29th, so hopefully no additional traffic for customs on the 27th, unless the passenger's are disembarking after an overnight stay...not sure....

A busy day in the port...the Regal Princess is in Brooklyn, and the Anthem of the Seas in Bayonne....:)

The AIDAluna is also docked that day, but is only laying over from the 26th to the 29th, so hopefully no additional traffic for customs on the 27th, unless the passenger's are disembarking after an overnight stay...not sure....

A busy day in the port...the Regal Princess is in Brooklyn, and the Anthem of the Seas in Bayonne....:)

We embarked with AIDALuna along the other side once before as well. It was not much of a concern. But it will be busy busy busy there!

Today there are 3 ships at the NYPST. The AIDA Luna (Port of Call) is on the south side of pier 88. The Escape (Dis/Embarkation) on north side of pier 88 and Viking Sea (Port of Call) on south side of pier 92. Therefore pier 90 is still out of commission. However the rarely used 92 is being used so I would expect the the Breakaway will be at pier 88 and the Gem at 92 if 90 is still out of commission on the 27th.