Ripped jeans at dinner?

English101

My answer to my own child would be bring them but have a back up. On my recent cruise my dressy sandals were killing me so I wore dollar store flip flops with my maxi dress because I figured they looked better than tennies. I was fully prepared to eat somewhere else though. On another cruise DH had to go get long pants on as he was stopped with nice Bermuda shorts.

Same thing happened to me trying to eat at Le Bistro in Bermuda on Breakaway. I was wearing a true pair of very nice Bermuda Shorts (Purchased in Hamilton) and a nice dressy type shirt. I was told that We would need to eat in the outside area due to wearing shorts....excuse me but do you actually know that wearing dressy Bermuda Shorts while in Bermuda is actually the norm? LOL Actually it may not have even bothered me all that much until I saw a number of women entering wearing what looked like gym shorts....and was told the rule only applied to men and not women. Say What!???! :confused:

I have no issue with taking my teenager to the check-in desk and asking if her ripped jeans are okay for dinner. If they say okay, there's the so-called teachable moment: Ask for permission.

If you really mean "ask for permission", then you are teaching your teenager that rules aren't really rules, just ask. If you are asking for clarification of whether the specific attire meets the rules, then say so. But, IMO, there really isn't any ambiguity when it comes to tears, so even asking for clarification is pretty close to asking for permission.

If we have permission we aren't bucking anything.
You were bucking when you asked permission to break the rules.

So intolerant.
Intolerant of what? People who break the rules? You betcha I'm intolerant of people who break the rules. We're a society of rules, we all should be intolerant of those who don't want to and choose not to follow the rules.

Same thing happened to me trying to eat at Le Bistro in Bermuda on Breakaway. I was wearing a true pair of very nice Bermuda Shorts (Purchased in Hamilton) and a nice dressy type shirt. I was told that We would need to eat in the outside area due to wearing shorts....excuse me but do you actually know that wearing dressy Bermuda Shorts while in Bermuda is actually the norm? LOL Actually it may not have even bothered me all that much until I saw a number of women entering wearing what looked like gym shorts....and was told the rule only applied to men and not women. Say What!???! :confused:
You needed the blazer to go along with those Bermuda shorts, but the women shouldn't have been getting in with the shorts either:

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise.

If you really mean "ask for permission", then you are teaching your teenager that rules aren't really rules, just ask. If you are asking for clarification of whether the specific attire meets the rules, then say so. But, IMO, there really isn't any ambiguity when it comes to tears, so even asking for clarification is pretty close to asking for permission.

You were bucking when you asked permission to break the rules.

Intolerant of what? People who break the rules? You betcha I'm intolerant of people who break the rules. We're a society of rules, we all should be intolerant of those who don't want to and choose not to follow the rules.

When I am given permission, I am neither bucking or breaking any rules. I got permission for my kid to wear those jeans.

Hi

Just my opinion ... but.. you are eating at a very nice dining room - why not dress for it.

I have married children that own very expensive "mildly ripped " jeans but when they go to work or out for a fine dining dinner, they do not wear them.

If the cruise line allows it - go for it !!

It just saddens me when you are eating in a spec. restaurant and people wear that type of attire.

To each their own .... and as I said it is just my opinion.

When I am given permission, I am neither bucking or breaking any rules. I got permission for my kid to wear those jeans.
Of course you are breaking the rules. All you did was get permission to break the rules. Permission doesn't change the fact that you are breaking the rule.

The rule is "no tears". If you wear torn jeans you are breaking the rule. It's very simple.

If the rule said "no tears unless the hostess views and approves", then asking permission would mean you weren't breaking the rules but following the rules.

You are teaching your kid that rules aren't really rules, but suggestions open for interpretation and modification.

My grandma wouldn’t let my grandpa out of the house in jeans let alone ripped ones..

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My father is 90 and has never owned a pair of jeans or jean shorts in his life, I really can’t imagine what he’d look like. He even did yard work in old slacks and Corfams....

My father is 90 and has never owned a pair of jeans or jean shorts in his life, I really can’t imagine what he’d look like. He even did yard work in old slacks and Corfams....
My father would be of the same generation. I don't think he ever owned any jeans. He would do yard work and other chores in his "old clothes" which were his old dress clothes. Growing up, after Mass on Sundays we had to "put our old clothes on" and help him with the yard work or whatever project he had in mind for that day. (of course our "old clothes" could have been brand new jeans :) )

I just do not understand WHY as parents you would not want your children to learn and understand appropriate attire.

That style of FASHION is Ok in a night club or a bar - I agree

Should we not be teaching our children to dress for the occassion

There is a place and time for evrything !!!!!

Of course you are breaking the rules. All you did was get permission to break the rules. Permission doesn't change the fact that you are breaking the rule.

The rule is "no tears". If you wear torn jeans you are breaking the rule. It's very simple.

If the rule said "no tears unless the hostess views and approves", then asking permission would mean you weren't breaking the rules but following the rules.

You are teaching your kid that rules aren't really rules, but suggestions open for interpretation and modification.

Dead wrong.

Once the host or hostess says it's okay for my kid to wear torn jeans, they have waived your precious rule. If the rule is waived, I can't break it.

See ya in my jeans, I'll be with the kids in the ripped ones. Come by and say hi.

;p

My father would be of the same generation. I don't think he ever owned any jeans. He would do yard work and other chores in his "old clothes" which were his old dress clothes. Growing up, after Mass on Sundays we had to "put our old clothes on" and help him with the yard work or whatever project he had in mind for that day. (of course our "old clothes" could have been brand new jeans :) )

Jimmy Carter wore jeans. Ronald Reagan wore jeans. George Bush and son wore jeans. Barack Obama wore jeans.

All as presidents of the United States.

And the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply

Let’s face it, those dress codes were written eons ago, and don’t really reflect today’s norms, especially on a cruise line whose mantra is freestyle. Some school dress codes are the same, but nearly every teen wears them. Many adults wear them too, and many of those jeans are not cheap. In fact the cheap mom jeans are the only ones not pre torn. Personally, I think the look is ridiculous, and they would surely look even more ridiculous on me. But not anymore ridiculous to me than the guy walking around in a tux that was too tight last cruise. Everyone just needs to worry about themselves, wear what they feel comfortable in, and not worry about anyone else. If the cruise line says it’s okay, then everyone needs to turn in their fashion police badges, and just have fun.

Dead wrong.
No, you are dead wrong.

Once the host or hostess says it's okay for my kid to wear torn jeans, they have waived your precious rule. If the rule is waived, I can't break it.
Unless the rules have defined a process by which a rule can be waived, there is no such thing as waiving the rule. All you have received is permission to enter the dining room. The rule remains the rule, it has not changed. The rule says "no tears", your teenager is wearing tears, your teenager is breaking the rules. The fact that your teenager has permission only means s/he shouldn't be thrown out.

And you really should try to follow the conversations. There is no basis for your claim that it's my "precious rule". I never opined on the rule itself. My comments were on your position of "asking permission" and it being a "teachable moment". Or was this another case of your inability to follow the discussions?

See ya in my jeans, I'll be with the kids in the ripped ones. Come by and say hi.

;p

No thanks. While I too might be in jeans if it was cold (I don't bring any pants on warm weather NCL cruises), you don't seem like the type of person who's company I would enjoy.

Jimmy Carter wore jeans. Ronald Reagan wore jeans. George Bush and son wore jeans. Barack Obama wore jeans.

All as presidents of the United States.

What was the point of this? You quoted my post which was a response to Medtech2 and the similarity of our fathers, not sure how it relates to Presidential fashion trends.

No thanks. While I too might be in jeans if it was cold (I don't bring any pants on warm weather NCL cruises), you don't seem like the type of person who's company I would enjoy.

Surely you brought SOME pants. I know for a fact that they do not let you go around the ship bottomless and swim suits are absolutely not allowed in most dining areas. Gak the very thought has blinded me, no pants!

And the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply

Let’s face it, those dress codes were written eons ago, and don’t really reflect today’s norms, especially on a cruise line whose mantra is freestyle. Some school dress codes are the same, but nearly every teen wears them. Many adults wear them too, and many of those jeans are not cheap. In fact the cheap mom jeans are the only ones not pre torn. Personally, I think the look is ridiculous, and they would surely look even more ridiculous on me. But not anymore ridiculous to me than the guy walking around in a tux that was too tight last cruise. Everyone just needs to worry about themselves, wear what they feel comfortable in, and not worry about anyone else. If the cruise line says it’s okay, then everyone needs to turn in their fashion police badges, and just have fun.

Pretty much agree with you, however the problem is NCL says no faded/ripped 👖, but then doesn't enforce their own policy.

And more than likely differs from ship to ship, host/hostess.

So rather than tick off the pax let it slide.

Personally it's not going to affect my meal, but on the flip side I'm not one to test the waters.

But then again I stated cruising when you had to wear coat/tie or suits to dinner and IF you didn't you didn't eat in MDR. There wasn't any Grey area.