Grandeur scheduled for drydock 3/16/2019.

Arzeena

We were booked on a cruise on the Grandeur of the Seas for March 16, 2019. Cruise has now disappeared from the website. I called Royal Caribbean and they asked if I (or my TA) had received the email for it. Nope. So they transferred me to Crown and Anchor for further details. C and A informed me that the Grandeur has been scheduled for dry dock for those dates (3/16). They had no other information yet and to wait for further updates for booked passengers.

I hope they move the drydock to other dates. Wishful thinking! ;) ;)

We were booked on a cruise on the Grandeur of the Seas for March 16, 2019. Cruise has now disappeared from the website. I called Royal Caribbean and they asked if I (or my TA) had received the email for it. Nope. So they transferred me to Crown and Anchor for further details. C and A informed me that the Grandeur has been scheduled for dry dock for those dates (3/16). They had no other information yet and to wait for further updates for booked passengers.

I hope they move the drydock to other dates. Wishful thinking! [emoji6] ;)

Seems so last minute, is that the norm? I’m booked 2/14/19 sailing and ordinarily would not be on a ship a month pre drydock or post ...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

WOW! I sure hope this is some kind of mistake. We're booked on this one as well. They just had drydock not that long ago.

Grandeur's last dry dock was April/May 2017, so this does seem early as I believe she is on the 2.5 year schedule now.

Grandeur's last dry dock was April/May 2017, so this does seem early as I believe she is on the 2.5 year schedule now.

The 2017 dry dock was 6 months late from her 20 year anniversary (Dec 1996), which required a waiver from class (probably due to dry dock scheduling), so they may be trying to slip back into synch, as the intermediate dry docking based on her delivery date would be Sept 2018 - Mar 2019. So, the March date would be pushing it as far as they could.

That's what I thought too!

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the rep gave me wrong info.;)

Hi Arzeena, Please keep us posted! I've been having an argument (well sort of...) with DH about Grandeur. He thinks there must be a refurb as Royal's own website shows two deck plans first September 27th, 2018 - April 25th, 2019 then second May 2nd, 2019 - April 16th, 2020. This doesn't make sense as there are cruises listed covering 25 April-May 2nd. I thought that the website was wrong and the year was perhaps wrong.. or there again who knows??

The 2017 dry dock was 6 months late from her 20 year anniversary (Dec 1996), which required a waiver from class (probably due to dry dock scheduling), so they may be trying to slip back into synch, as the intermediate dry docking based on her delivery date would be Sept 2018 - Mar 2019. So, the March date would be pushing it as far as they could.

I didn't realize that the dry dock dates were based off of a fixed point in time, thanks (yet again) Chief.

Aha. But how could this affect the deck plan? Or is this a red herring?

ETA the previous sailing 7-13 March is showing not available to book on the German website...

Edited by dutchclogs

Looking at the current RCL posting. March 7, 2019; a 9-night Bahamas cruise is also missing.

Not looking good for us booked for the month of March.

I see an opening in the schedule from March 7 to March 28, 2019.

Hi Arzeena, Please keep us posted! I've been having an argument (well sort of...) with DH about Grandeur. He thinks there must be a refurb as Royal's own website shows two deck plans first September 27th, 2018- April 25th, 2019 then second May 2nd, 2019 - April 16th, 2020. This doesn't make sense as there are cruises listed covering 25 April-May 2nd. I thought that the website was wrong and the year was perhaps wrong.. or there again who knows??

Other ship's also listing Deck Plan changes same time period, probably not related.

ETA the previous sailing 7-13 March is showing not available to book on the German website...

Typically, if you look at the two deck plans, they are identical in physical cabins, but the cruise line is re-categorizing the cabins on that date.

I didn't realize that the dry dock dates were based off of a fixed point in time, thanks (yet again) Chief.

The 5 year dry docking coincides with the 5 year "special survey" interval from class, and is based off the ship's delivery date. Annual surveys and intermediate surveys, like the intermediate dry docking will normally have a window time frame, and can be completed any time within that window, and the interval between intermediate dry docks may be more than 5 years, but the "full term" (5 year) dockings are fixed, without a substantial reason to grant a waiver.

Changes in deck plans or more specific a re-categorization of cabins is done quiet often for sales/marketing reasons and not related to the regular technical dry docks. There is only a correlation if they add cabins.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The 5 year dry docking coincides with the 5 year "special survey" interval from class, and is based off the ship's delivery date. Annual surveys and intermediate surveys, like the intermediate dry docking will normally have a window time frame, and can be completed any time within that window, and the interval between intermediate dry docks may be more than 5 years, but the "full term" (5 year) dockings are fixed, without a substantial reason to grant a waiver.

Delivery date is not necessarily when the cruise line has it's first revenue cruise, it's when the shipyard hands the ship over to the cruise line, right?

Delivery date is not necessarily when the cruise line has it's first revenue cruise, it's when the shipyard hands the ship over to the cruise line, right?

Yep, that's when the clock starts for regulatory purposes. My current ship was delivered in December, but we sailed 20 hours down to Charleston, and spent the next 3 months being converted, before we started our charter to the oil company, yet all of our class and regulatory certificates date from December.

Yep, that's when the clock starts for regulatory purposes. My current ship was delivered in December, but we sailed 20 hours down to Charleston, and spent the next 3 months being converted, before we started our charter to the oil company, yet all of our class and regulatory certificates date from December.

Was your ship built in the US?

A big thumbs up for the rep being drunk. Looking at the schedule to see what we would do instead. Not happy with the choices.

Neither am I!

I jumped ship from the Gem to see St Croix on the Grandeur. :( grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:. Didn't want to fly to other ports. Don't like to go to the Bahamas on the Anthem, Pride or Escape. ( Wanted the moon ! LOL:D). So I am going to rub the magic lamp and wish and wish that the rep was talking about another cruise.

Hi Arzeena, Please keep us posted! I've been having an argument (well sort of...) with DH about Grandeur. He thinks there must be a refurb as Royal's own website shows two deck plans first September 27th, 2018- April 25th, 2019 then second May 2nd, 2019 - April 16th, 2020. This doesn't make sense as there are cruises listed covering 25 April-May 2nd. I thought that the website was wrong and the year was perhaps wrong.. or there again who knows??

Gert,

If I hear anything from Royal or my TA, I will definitely post.

Are you thinking of cruising on the Grandeur too? I missed seeing you both on the Equinox, so if you are, we have to meet this time.

Looking at the current RCL posting. March 7, 2019; a 9-night Bahamas cruise is also missing.

Not looking good for us booked for the month of March.

Perhaps they will keep our cruise but cut (or add;)) a day, change itinerary , etc etc etc.?????????

Thank you.

I love to read your posts. Always learn a lot from you.