Best Way to book a cruise

TX_Loves2Cruise

I've been thinking about booking a cruise directly through Carnival since they are offering $50 deposits. I was talking to a co-worker today and asking them if they knew about the $50 deposit sale and he said him and his wife always use a travel agent to book a cruise. He said they always get a good deal. So my question is, what way do you prefer to book a cruise?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Forums mobile app

i prefer to book directly with the cruise line.

travel agent can give you additional onboard credits or other perks, but i found working within their business hours was a big hassle for me. and i also did not like they were the middle man of any communication between me and the cruise line. if a travel agent owns you booking, the cruise line will not help you.

Our first cruise was with a group of friends that had already booked the cruise through a TA so we went with her. Next cruise we contacted her again. Then she quit so I wrote a letter to Carnival asking for a PVP that had been with the company for at least ten years and had sailed on several of their ships. The following day I received an e-mail from a PVP requesting that I call and talk with him. Since then, we have always used him to book a cruise. He's very knowledgeable and helpful. He knows we only cruise every other year so he waits for us to call him.

We used a TA for this jan. cruise, contacted cruise line for a few things and they told me to call my TA, but gave me advice on how to ask. Worked out great My TA got me a reduction of $240 and will keep checking for more. You can still call Carnival and if you get a good agent they help[ you even if your with a TA.

Best way to book a cruise is when the itineraries are released, under Early Saver. Then, either prices go up and you have locked in the best price, or prices go down and you apply for price drops. In which case, you will then still be booked under the lowest price.

Except for guarantee rates, of course. But you can only take advantage of those of you don’t mind not picking your cabin. But booking when itineraries are released allows you to get the best cabins. So, personally, I don’t think the savings are worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We used a TA for this jan. cruise, contacted cruise line for a few things and they told me to call my TA, but gave me advice on how to ask. Worked out great My TA got me a reduction of $240 and will keep checking for more. You can still call Carnival and if you get a good agent they help[ you even if your with a TA.

Just to be clear, TAs cannot discount any Carnival cruise. They arent supposed to give OBC but they fnd ways around it, but unless you book expensive cabins not much.

I use a PVP who is always cheerful about any problems and never acts like my booking is too small to be worth her time. (as some TAs have done).

My PVP is one of the top at Carnival, works from home because she is that good she is allowed and only travels to Miami to give classes.

As far as getting reductions, if you book directly you can fill out the form, its very easy, or your PVP can do it if they are working. Booking last minute there have been times when i had to grab a cabin and hold it or get a phone call to my PVP to hold the cabin until we got together to book it. I see advantages to using someone or booking directly.

But you will find mostly Carnival agents will tell you to contact your TA if there is a problem. Some TAs arent crazy about getting you those price drops as it reduces their commissions.

I get emails for groups a TA puts together and the prices are almost always higher than I could book. Im thinking he is bumping up the price, or the group prices that Carnival will give him for the next couple of months are often higher. I see few good deals for group cruising. Maybe its because the TA expects to sail for free, though some will pass on some of the savings, some dont.

$50 dollar deposits and on board credit are all well and good........IF you are booking early saver. We always book past guest (with PVP) so we will have the option of canceling if we need to without losing deposit. Whatever works best for you.

That’s true. I have very few obligations in life so it works for me.

If it’s ok to hijack your thread.. those that are travelling from the UK how do you book? The past couple of years we’ve priced flights/cruise separately then booked through a UK travel agent. It’s always a massive pain and only ends up being £50 cheaper. We booked because of ATOL etc but wondered what others did. We always arrive 2/3 days earlier than our cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just book on the website. Personally I am a bit of a control freak, so it's just easier for me to handle it all. I keep an eye on prices, and call/submit a price check if necessary. It just depends on if you prefer someone else to handle the stress of booking/keeping track of it all for you or not.