Binoculars

Hitchens97

Did anyone buy a good pair of binoculars for the trip? Was it worth it? Any recommendations?

I have a pair of binoculars (I’m a birder) and never travel without them. I used them extensively in Alaska but there always seem to be something I want a closer look whatever the destination.

I like my Nikon 8 x 40’s.....but I’d recommend going to a sporting store and trying out several pair.

Edited by Kathie859
addional I fo

We'll be doing 16 days in May and would not go without ours. Joy carries the Steiner 10x42. I think they are too heavy and the field of view is narrow. For me, I use the Nikon Action EX 7x35, wide field and quick to acquire target. We both bird watch and I'm sure they will find many uses in Alaska. Problem is I'll most likely be also packing a Nikon D7500 with either an 18-200 or 10-24 so that will simply add weight. Weight is something I would always advise folks considering. If you are, then look at this page...

https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/blog/small-lightweight-birding-binoculars-04/

Also see...

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/616621-lightweight-binocular-for-backpacking/

We definitely travel with binoculars - we have a couple of good pairs and some cheaper pairs. For Alaska, we took the good pairs.

On our ship, they were selling the Swarovski (husband says "there's a comma in the price of all of them ;-)") We tried some that one of the guides was using and didn't feel enough of a difference that we feel we need to go buy some.

If you're a birder or otherwise use/need good binoculars on a regular basis, you're probably not posting this question. I would say that "normal" usage binoculars can be found at MUCH lower price ranges and you'll be happy.

It's taken me MANY years to be able to effectively use binoculars. My husband has been trying to teach me, but really it's just taken time. I know, I know, how hard can it be? But it is for me. BUT on this recent trip to Alaska, I feel that (at age 45...) I have FINALLY gotten the hang of using them! As a result, I was first spotter of a LOT of wildlife on the trip. Made me happy :-)

• Like 1

I bought the Carson 3D 8 X 42 for my Alaska cruise and was very happy.

I researched them and chose them over the Nikon. My friend had his Steiner and I liked mine better.

Fantastic optics.

I was advised to go with 8 X over 10 X as it is more forgiving with movement.

They came with a carrying case but didn't come with lens covers. One call to the company and they sent them to me free of charge. Recent reviews on Amazon say that the lens covers are now included.

Now I take them on every cruise.

They are highly rated on Amazon.

Check them out.

https://www.amazon.com/Carson-Definition-Waterproof-Binoculars-Glass/dp/B009DVPRD2

For my May '18 cruise I wanted a pair of binoculars. I did a little research for binoculars under $100 - I won't use them otherwise... The ones I picked were a lot cheaper than I was expecting when I bought them from Amazon. Only $58.50 including shipping - the article where I read about them had the price closer to the $100 mark - I could have almost bought two pair. It was a set of Bushnell PowerView 10x50 Porro Prism Instafocus binoculars. What I liked best is a rocker for the focus rather than a wheel you turn a lot - the rocker is FAST. Those binoculars worked well for what I was wanting and I'll have them for future travels.

I purchased Trailmaster 8X25 binoculars for Alaska and have been very pleased with their compact size that allows them to fit into a lens compartment in my camera backpack. They are adjustable for glasses wearers and have captive caps.. Included are a case as well as a chest mounting strap.

I got my Nikon Action EX 7x35 for $83 a few years ago. I see them at AMZN for $127. They are light weight, waterproof and have a wide field of view at 7 power which makes them easy to hand hold without much shaking of the image. More powerful binoculars are very nice to have but the smaller field and higher power might make centering the object of interest more difficult and more motion inducing. The Monarch 8x42 are lighter and slightly brighter and with slightly more magnification. Great bino but $241 @ AMZN.

Edited by masterdrago

As someone who lives in Alaska I feel it is important to have a decent binnoculars when visiting. But Kathie 859 is so right -- a great pair for me may not be a great pair for everyone. Folks really need to go into a store and hold them in your hand. You may opt to purchase online, but make sure you have actually held a pair.

We are birders and we use Nikon Monarch 7 binoculars. 10x42

There is a Monarch 5 model, which my DH was using until he tried my Monarch 7 and there was no comparison. He was able to return them and upgrade to the Monarch 7. They are definitely worth the money.