Clarification of a Captain's Club benefit

lara h

I am trying to understand one of the benefits of the "Captain's Club".

One category upgrade applicable through Aqua Class*** (based on availability at time of booking)

Really appreciate an explanation please!

Thanks,

One can upgrade on level within the same class and pay the lower level. For example, from C3 to C2. Not sure about C2 to C1 as those are typically in prime locations. One can upgrade to the next level in OV category and within the Balcony level.

From the Celebrity website:

One-Category Upgrade

One-category upgrade requests must be made at the time of booking and apply only for upgrades within the supercategory, depending on availability. Example of a supercategory upgrade in AquaClass: A2 to A1. Captain's Club one category upgrade excludes category 12, FV, SV, C1 and guarantee categories, Z, Y, X, XC, XA, W. This offer cannot be used with certain restricted fares including but not limited to travel agent and employee rates. Upgrades apply for one stateroom per cruise. Stateroom assignments only. Not valid on holiday sailings. Upgrades available from categories 11- A1 on all Celebrity ships except Celebrity Xpedition®. Offer valid for members who are Classic Level or higher at the time of booking.

It is perhaps easier to think of it as "down price" rather than "upgrade". Chose the 1A stateroom you want, and you can pay the price of a 1B.

There are a couple of other things to keep in mind. One is that there must be at least one 1B available, so they can determine the pricing.

Another is that this whole thing does not apply to suites.

Thanks for you speedy reply.

Would it also include paying for a 1B, and so upgrade through the Captain's Club benefit by selecting a 1A? :confused::confused::confused:

Yes this specific example is included. I have heard that some booking options with a travel agency might not be eligible for the 1 category upgrade like some group bookings. I've never had and issue. Just remember to ask for it when booking.

header-ship-wheel.svg?ext=.svg

CAPTAIN'S CLUB BENEFITS

The benefits of being an Elite member.

• Elegant tea invitation
  • Evening Cocktail hour (excludes embarkation and evening of Senior Officers’ Party)
  • Complimentary access to Persian Garden (on one port day of your choice while ship is in port)
  • Access to the Captain’s Club Lounge for daily coffee house style breakfast
  • A private shipboard departure lounge, serving continental breakfast
  • Complimentary 90-minute Internet package or 30% discount on our Unlimited Internet Package
  • Exclusive Senior Officers’ Cocktail Party
  • Complimentary wine seminar event
  • Priority embarkation while boarding the ship (where available)
  • Priority status for shore excursion waitlist
  • One complimentary bag of laundry (wash, dry, fold) on every sailing. Complimentary pressing of 2 garment items and dry cleaning of 1 garment.
  • Behind the scenes Theatre Tour with the cast and crew, with complimentary welcome drink
  • One category stateroom upgrade applicable up to AquaClass*
  • Exclusive Captains Club Celebration Event
  • 20% discount on any digital or print photo package at the Photo Gallery plus $100 off any Photo Package purchased at The Studio
  • One Complimentary scoop of gelato from the Gelateria
  • Access to special events on Reunion and Presidents Cruise sailings
  • Access to Captain's Club VISTA magazine online
  • Access to the onboard Loyalty Host during your cruise
  • Eligibility for Captain’s Club promotions when booking a future cruise onboard
  • Diamond Level enrollment in Royal Caribbean’s Crown & Anchor Society

It is perhaps easier to think of it as "down price" rather than "upgrade". Chose the 1A stateroom you want, and you can pay the price of a 1B.

There are a couple of other things to keep in mind. One is that there must be at least one 1B available, so they can determine the pricing.

It also has to be done when you book the cruise. And it is only in the same class of cabin. You don’t book a inside and “upgrade” to a outside.

The down price is probably the best description of it.

Some booking a AQ won’t take the “upgrade” to AQ1 or A1 because they don’t like the location of the A1 cabins

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

This is really a great way to describe it!

We booked a 1A for the price of a 1B on our cruise last May. And have booked 1B’s and paid 1C price. Sometimes you save a little and sometimes quite a bit depending on popularity of the categories you are looking at.

I would add just a couple of things. The request must be made at time of booking and, unless something has changed recently, you need to call to book. I don’t think there is a way to do it online. There are also exceptions (see cruisestich’s post above with the description from the Celebrity website).

Thanks all for your replies.

Yes, that's how I understood it to be, and the word "down price" is appropriate !

The reason for querying is that this will be our 2nd cruise with Celebrity, and I was totally unaware of the benefit.

I made an online booking almost 10 mths ago when there were lots of available cabins, however, as we wanted an extended balcony cabin, secured a booking online, as they sell very quickly. So we paid for this as a 1A, when in fact as advised above, should have really only had to pay the price of a 1B.

When booking, I put in my Captain's Club details, and paid the required deposit. Within 24 hrs, I handed the booking over to a local travel agent, for convenience and knowledge.

We sail in less than 3 weeks, and I have just now found about this benefit. I would have expected my agent to know about this and make the appropriate discount to the fare at the time of booking as you have explained.

Would you think it is appropriate to expect my agent, working alongside Celebrity, to make good in OBC or a perk, on the difference between what we paid for a 1A, and what we should have paid for a 1B?

Thanks,

As we have experienced, the deal is only available at the time of booking and can't be done on line -- a Captain's Club representative has to put in the data, or your travel agent, Since you booked on line and then later transferred the booking to a travel agent, I think you will just chalk this up to "lesson learned" and something to remember the next time you cruise on Celebrity.

The booking was made on a Friday evening when there was no Celebrity agents available here in Australia until the Monday morning, so that is why I went to the travel agent on the Saturday morning to make sure they could advise me of exactly what the process was for the booking.

Thanks all for your replies.

Yes, that's how I understood it to be, and the word "down price" is appropriate !

The reason for querying is that this will be our 2nd cruise with Celebrity, and I was totally unaware of the benefit.

I made an online booking almost 10 mths ago when there were lots of available cabins, however, as we wanted an extended balcony cabin, secured a booking online, as they sell very quickly. So we paid for this as a 1A, when in fact as advised above, should have really only had to pay the price of a 1B.

When booking, I put in my Captain's Club details, and paid the required deposit. Within 24 hrs, I handed the booking over to a local travel agent, for convenience and knowledge.

We sail in less than 3 weeks, and I have just now found about this benefit. I would have expected my agent to know about this and make the appropriate discount to the fare at the time of booking as you have explained.

Would you think it is appropriate to expect my agent, working alongside Celebrity, to make good in OBC or a perk, on the difference between what we paid for a 1A, and what we should have paid for a 1B?

Thanks,

No I wouldn't expect your TA to do that but I do think it is time for a new TA. I would expect the TA to check the price when you transferred the reservation and to inform you that you had the best deal. Since you transferred the reservation your TA you know you were a Captains Club member and checked that benefit.

It wouldn’t hurt to ask but I would be surprised if they said yes.

Just guessing, but I think the reason they require it be done at time of booking is so they know what the difference in price is at that time. Not sure if they can tell what that price difference was at booking several months later.

I really hate hearing that you didn’t get a discount you were entitled to but, if it’s any consolation at all, the discounts we have received have been anywhere from $20/person to $80/person total for the cruise (not per day). So not zero but not a lot either. And now you know to ask for it in the future.

I hope you have a great cruise!

My TA automatically gives me the reduced price because he knows that I am a CC member and has my number.

If you don’t get it don’t be upset. It usually only amounts to a few dollars. Check any cruise and you can see the difference. I know on a 14 day cruise the difference is usually $50 pp for the difference between A2 and A1 and that is only for cabin location. In the lower categories for a shorter cruise it doesn’t mean much except again for cabin location.

For future reference book on board for a future cruise. You will get more benefits, extra SBC, and a low deposit. You will also automatically get the upgrade and you can always transfer the cruise to something else if needed or wanted.

Another benefit that is often over looked is the extra $50 off for a CC member. Many times though it is not combinable with other offers.

Again I repeat don’t let it upset you and ruin your cruise. It isn’t that big of a deal because all it amounts to is the location of the cabin. Sometime is it like attending a show, concert or ball game. The row in front of you paid $50 more pp and is it worth that much more to sit 3ft closer?

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thanks again,

I will ask...was always told "if you don't ask, you don't get"!;);)

Looking at today's prices, the difference would be around $180 AUD, nothing to be sneezed at, and I'd imagine it was a bit more way back then when I booked as prices have come down alot since.

Anyway, there is nothing that would spoil the cruise (sailing for our 40th anniversary), and we have a great cabin with a extra large balcony to spread ourselves out and enjoy to the hilt! :champagne-toast:

Edited by lara h
sp

Thanks again,

I will ask...was always told "if you don't ask, you don't get"!;);)

Looking at today's prices, the difference would be around $180 AUD, nothing to be sneezed at, and I'd imagine it was a bit more way back then when I booked as prices have come down alot since.

Anyway, there is nothing that would spoil the cruise (sailing for our 40th anniversary), and we have a great cabin with a extra large balcony to spread ourselves out and enjoy to the hilt! :champagne-toast:

I don’t know what the rules and regulations are for your country. If the prices have dropped and it isn’t past final payment here in the USA we could get the price difference or cancel and rebook for the lower price. W If you can cancel and then rebook with no penalty than you could also benefit by the CC perk of a upgrade as it is a new booking.

Just a little note to think about. Most people don’t realize it but when it is your anniversary such as the 40th as you will be celebrating it will actually be the 41st time that you are celebrating your wedding day. Unless you didn’t celebrate it 😱 the day you got married 😍

Anniversaries are how many years you have been married. Add one more for how many times you have celebrated that date, 🤔.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I have several times had it applied by my TA post booking. Both times I asked at booking and was told that it wasn't combinable with a particular promotion that either X or the TA was having. Each time, about two weeks after booking I called the TA and asked their customer service department if it could be added. that I'd neglected to ask for it. Each time it was added and the price was adjusted down to the next lower category. A previous poster mentioned my motto..."if you don't ask the answer is definitely no." If you ask nicely, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. Just be as gracious accepting a no as you would be accepting a yes.:)

Just a little note to think about. Most people don’t realize it but when it is your anniversary such as the 40th as you will be celebrating it will actually be the 41st time that you are celebrating your wedding day. Unless you didn’t celebrate it 😱 the day you got married 😍

Anniversaries are how many years you have been married. Add one more for how many times you have celebrated that date,

Love this! We will be celebrating our 31st anniversary on Wednesday and our 32nd celebration! Looking forward to many more!

I have several times had it applied by my TA post booking. Both times I asked at booking and was told that it wasn't combinable with a particular promotion that either X or the TA was having. Each time, about two weeks after booking I called the TA and asked their customer service department if it could be added. that I'd neglected to ask for it. Each time it was added and the price was adjusted down to the next lower category. A previous poster mentioned my motto..."if you don't ask the answer is definitely no." If you ask nicely, maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised. Just be as gracious accepting a no as you would be accepting a yes.:)

We have had the same experience with the discount being applied after we completed the booking. That’s why I place some of the fault on the TA for not investigating the booking after it was transferred to them.

We had a C2 on a Hawaii cruise in 2016. When we booked there weren’t any C3 cabins available so we paid the C2 price (thru X). A few weeks later I called with a question & the CVP said. Oh you were overcharged. He adjusted our price down to the C2 & upgraded our beverage package for our “inconvenience”. Needless to say we were impressed (& happy)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums