Flying in day of cruise

Not related to cruise travel, but thought I would share. Many years ago, wife and I decided to leave next day for Europe without any flight booked. We checked United departures. Tried for London but that flight was kind of full. Found a Paris flight that was lighter, so we ended up in Paris (thankful for 1-800 Holiday Inn). Kind of a lark, but turned out to be a very fun trip. We didn't book the return flight until we got to CDG.

That might not work out well in today's environment. Many flights, especially international, are fully booked. The chances of walking up to the counter and purchasing a ticket for the next flight would be impossible if the plane is full. Plus, considering the constant threat of terrorism these days, last minute bookings like that raise suspicions.

Fact: If you interview people in the embarkation line who arrived that same morning, 100% will say they made it on time. So, what's the problem. :D:D

This is really funny. Of course everyone in the embarkation line who flew in that morning will report that they made it on time.

Those (admittedly few) people who tried UNSUCCESSFULLY to fly in that morning would not be in the embarkation line to be interviewed.

Your “Fact” can be similarly “proved” by asking everyone who did NOT get there to raise their hands. When nobody raises a hand, you can claim what you want.

This is really funny. Of course everyone in the embarkation line who flew in that morning will report that they made it on time.

Those (admittedly few) people who tried UNSUCCESSFULLY to fly in that morning would not be in the embarkation line to be interviewed.

Your “Fact” can be similarly “proved” by asking everyone who did NOT get there to raise their hands. When nobody raises a hand, you can claim what you want.

I think (hope/pray) that "ldubs" was being facetious.

I think (hope/pray) that "ldubs" was being facetious.

Yes we frequently arrive morning of but as I say I don't preach that.

My "embarkation line interview" post was intended to be a good natured joke -- you know with the emoji :D:D. This is a tough crowd.

That might not work out well in today's environment. Many flights, especially international, are fully booked. The chances of walking up to the counter and purchasing a ticket for the next flight would be impossible if the plane is full. Plus, considering the constant threat of terrorism these days, last minute bookings like that raise suspicions.

Yeah, I would wonder about today's tougher travel rules. I tend to think it could be done but don't know for certain. Back then we flew stand-by. Reason we changed from London to Paris was the London flight didn't have that many open seats and it was unlikely we would get on. Anyway kids are grown and out of the house now so maybe we should try it again! Haha

yes we frequently arrive morning of but as i say i don't preach that.

My "embarkation line interview" post was intended to be a good natured joke -- you know with the emoji :d:d. This is a tough crowd.

lol.

Next time you might want to use :D:D:D:D

A couple of my friends scheduled a same day flight from California to San Juan, and never made it! (due to delayed flights)

They missed the whole cruise.

Why didn’t they just fly to the next first port of call? I would never waste a whole, paid, cruise just because I missed embarkation. It’s better to spend a little bit of money to get to the first port of call than to waste all of the money spent on the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Why didn’t they just fly to the next first port of call? I would never waste a whole, paid, cruise just because I missed embarkation. It’s better to spend a little bit of money to get to the first port of call than to waste all of the money spent on the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are cruises, even in the Caribbean, that start with multiple sea days.

Possibly also PVSA issues.

There are cruises, even in the Caribbean, that start with multiple sea days.

Also, at some times of the year flights from some islands to others are booked solid and/or very expensive. If too many days would be lost from the cruise, at too high a price, it might have made more sense to just stay in San Juan until return flight to California.

I didn’t bother digging any further into that conversation (we were at a party), and I could tell it was a sore subject.

I remember she did mention that they got stuck in Georgia (flight layover) and never made it to San Juan

Look folks: the bottom line is that modern air travel in truly unpredictable. And the "good news/bad news" is that:

While airlines (over the past decade) have figured out how to schedule for maximum efficacy and profit, everything still boils down to that plane in that place on that day.

As I have mentioned in many other posts: non-frequent fliers have to realize that rebooking due to delays/cancelations may now be days later. Any open seats in the "next flight out" (few and far between) will always go to those FFs In the highest tier who have paid the most for their tix.

The real kicker here is that those non-frequent fliers who post the "will I make it" questions on CC already know that what they are planning is very risky (if not impossible).

And yet, they will place great weight on the comment(s) of other non-frequent fliers who post that they've made "that trip" before "without delay."

IMO, these folks are poster children for the old adage- "pennywise and pound foolish."

We've only flown once for a cruise - booked a non-stop from Philadelphia to Miami, arriving the night before the cruise. Eventually we would like to do cruises that almost certainly will involve multiple flights (AK, HI). Based on this thread it sounds like delays are a somewhat common occurrence regardless of weather conditions. How many extra days are recommended to allow for delays, or would the rebooking be to the next port of the cruise (assuming they have an airport nearby)? I thought conventional wisdom was to arrive one day before, but it sounds like that might not be enough.

... it sounds like delays are a somewhat common occurrence regardless of weather conditions. ...... I thought conventional wisdom was to arrive one day before, but it sounds like that might not be enough.

Twenty years ago, "red eyes" were so empty that you could lift some armrests and stretch out for that overnight snooze. Miss a flight? Get on the next one. Etc Etc.

Those days are long gone.

With the understanding than some folks work at jobs with little flexibility to add a few days off, MY idea of Plan A is fly in no less than two days earlier. If it's an unfamiliar (or favorite) international destination, we'll aim for at least three days earlier. In addition to getting an "extra" vacation on the same airline tix, it provides a buffer not only for missed departures/connections but also for lost luggage to catch up with you.

Returning home is not as critical though we usually buffer that as well with extra days post cruise to get a "third" vacation at the disembarkation port.

In fact, we prefer cruises that start/end in different ports with extra days tacked on in each location.

That said, here are some other suggestions:

Despite the expense, always aim for non-stops, preferably on major carriers belonging to an air consortium (e.g., United and its Star Alliance partners). Those partner's come in handy when there's a problem and you need your tix "assigned" to another carrier.

If you've got to do a connection, choose major hubs with multiple partners of your carrier and plenty of additional flights to your destination offered by/between them.

Never opt for a connection layover of less than three hours.

IMO, there is something to be said for FF loyalty. But, that's an item for another post.

Finally, learn to use ITA Matrix website to compare fares (no tix sold), particularly when it's one way vs multi-city and you have scheduling flexibility.

Also, pick hubs that are hubs for that alliance.

You can fly United into Paris, but it is Sky Team hub. MUCH more flexibility with a Sky Team airline in/out of Paris.

WRT FF status, even just being a member is better than not being a member at all.