RCCL v. NCL

My post in the Float away Lounge when poof when CC come back online ....  it's been 10 years since I have sailed on Royal. We are very excited to sail on the Allure coming up in May! We picked MTD - I'm assuming we will not have an issue with a table for just the 4 of us? I already went in and made reservations for a daily time slot. Recent cruisers of both lines, how would you compare? NCL is great for the night life - the parties, etc.  How is Royal? We are sailing with two 21-year olds. They love the parties on NCL.  I'm hoping they will love the parties on Royal too! 

On Allure, the nightlife was out of control last week (in a good way).

The way it's laid out is excellent.  So maybe 9PM you come out of a great show in the theater, wander out and there is a jazz band playing live in the Jazz club in Entertainment Place neighborhood.  Head upstairs to the Promenade and a live Latin band jamming out at Boleros... walk further down and a singer/guitarist playing low key stuff at the Bow and Stern pub, a little further and up the stairs and piano sing a long at the Schooner Bar.  Check out the lip sync contest at the On Air bar then Ride the Rising Tide bar up to Central park and there was a guy playing classical piano in Central Park, very relaxed.  Head off central park and there was a killer band jamming out at Dazzles.

Everywhere you go there is fun and entertainment.  Sometimes they do dance parties right in the promenade with live bands, too.  Plus all the poolside music and fun. 

There is also the Blaze nightclub in Entertainment Place and the Comedy Club, too.  

You'll love it.

Edited by BNBR

Can't comment about NCL but we loved Allure.  We also booked MTD, which I found worked well on this type of ship since you can book dinner around the show times. We were always seated just the four of us (and from night 3 onwards, had same waiter, same table).  Always tons going on and great for all ages.

20 minutes ago, Joeghartman said:

Their current promo of buy one get one 60% off is tempting me go give RCCL a try for an Alaskan cruise next year.

Don't get caught up in the RCI sales. Whenever they have a sale they just adjust the pricing accordingly to pretty much always come out to the same price no matter how much the % off is.

Just go by the bottom line and if the price is something you like then book it.

Bill

• Like 2

On 10/16/2018 at 10:27 AM, CruisingSince1982 said:

My post in the Float away Lounge when poof when CC come back online ....  it's been 10 years since I have sailed on Royal. We are very excited to sail on the Allure coming up in May! We picked MTD - I'm assuming we will not have an issue with a table for just the 4 of us? I already went in and made reservations for a daily time slot. Recent cruisers of both lines, how would you compare? NCL is great for the night life - the parties, etc.  How is Royal? We are sailing with two 21-year olds. They love the parties on NCL.  I'm hoping they will love the parties on Royal too! 

Had my 20, 21, 23 year old on Oasis and they all loved different kinds of things.  Champagne bar for meeting other similar aged people for some reason.  Live music in Dazzles and one just liked going the Solarium hottub at 1 am cuz they could. 

2 hours ago, S.S.Oceanlover said:

Don't get caught up in the RCI sales. Whenever they have a sale they just adjust the pricing accordingly to pretty much always come out to the same price no matter how much the % off is.

Just go by the bottom line and if the price is something you like then book it.

Bill

I had a feeling. I will stick with NCL.

5 minutes ago, Joeghartman said:

I had a feeling. I will stick with NCL.

Lol.  NCL is even worse with their fake "free" at sea promotions.  I think Carnival is probably the most transparent with their pricing.

Royals sales aren't completely fake, at least.  They do real discounts that can be substantial.  You just have to look at the bottom line as they are a bit sneaky with the sliding scale retail pricing.

Edited by BNBR

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

Lol.  NCL is even worse with their fake "free" at sea promotions.  I think Carnival is probably the most transparent with their pricing.

Royals sales aren't completely fake, at least.  They do real discounts that can be substantial.  You just have to look at the bottom line as they are a bit sneaky with the sliding scale retail pricing.

We did really well with our "free at sea" promo last year.  $1,630 each in a great mid-ship outside cabin, 11 nights Mediterranean cruise, $200 shore excursion credit, and 5 nights free specialty dinners for two.  Great cruise!

2 minutes ago, pcur said:

We did really well with our "free at sea" promo last year.  $1,630 each in a great mid-ship outside cabin, 11 nights Mediterranean cruise, $200 shore excursion credit, and 5 nights free specialty dinners for two.  Great cruise!

I don't doubt it. All cruise lines have great deals.  Our Allure cruise was quite a bit less than comparable Carnival Glory cruise. Because we got a great deal with kids sale free and it was a substantial discount. 

Best advice is generally to price out each line for comparable cruises, for the dates you are sailing, and compare the bottom line with included packages and what not.