So, it's "very mobile responsive," eh? Here's your punch list.

Jen closed the Tapatalk request topic before I could respond, so here goes:

The mobile-responsive version of CC uses 63% more mobile data than the old app or Tapatalk version. That's brutal, particularly for people trying to post from ships.

The mobile responsive version is more than 45% slower and it's missing quick links to your followed threads.

The data and speed issues have a lot to do with the fact that the users have to scroll past all the stickies - and the fact that the mobile version of the site doesn't set the thread entry point to "last read post" like the apps did.

The mobile version has a limited toolbar. (This is an easy fix.  Documentation is here:  https://invisioncommunity.com/4guides/themes-and-customizations/editor-and-emoticons_327/customizing-editor-toolbars-r132/  )

A lot of laptops and tablets are getting picked up as "medium" sized devices which causes them to lose the formatting toolbars for fonts and text color. (Same instructions will fix this.) It's not a space limitation, because the buttons will fit the screens.  The media-kit directives in the CSS are causing this, but I believe they're editable by the admin UI.)

The only reason that your forums aren't supported by an app is because the Tapatalk plugin isn't installed.

Please don't close this topic out right away, in case it needs a response.

cchelp-jen-2018-10-17.thumb.JPG.5df81157df8637e64a7db78aabf77e2f.JPG

• Like 3

I completely understand that they want to get the core board software running properly before they install the plugin. However, the current mobile version, while workable, doesn't hold a candle to the efficiency of the old app. I benchmarked the response time and data usage when they announced the change. The overhead of the new version is huge. (Just look at file sizes.) 

Another item for the punch list... However, this might be missing from the feature set for Invision Community.  On the old site, running vBulletin, you could set your preferences for

1. Threads/posts per screen. It defaulted to 20, but you could set it higher so you didn't always have to scroll past the stickies over and over. This would be a nice feature.
  2. You could set your preferences for thread entry to "last unread" so that you didn't have to scroll through the entire thread every time you wanted to read a post. I realize that the stars & blue dots take care of this, but it is in no way intuitive.

IMO, this issue needs greater visibility and more of us members need to be vocal about this.

App support is absolutely essential to me. I also find the mobile experience effectively unusable using Safari on an iPhone 7. I am going on a 14-night B2B next month and I will NOT be doing a live review (and probably not bothering to post at all, even on the roll call) if there is no app support available by that time. It's just too frustrating to access the forums on my iPhone.

• Like 1

I appreciate those who are versed in technical language to advocate for all of us who used the app. I lose patience very quickly with those who claim the new mobile is no different than the app. But I’m biting my tongue for now. 

I also use Trip Advisor, CC’s parent company. Why for the love of God couldn’t CC use the same type of board as Trip Advisor. If anything, I would have integrated Cruise Critic as part of Trip Advisor. 

I'll join this crowd in voicing a lot of disappointment in the lack of a mobile app for this new forum. The CC mobile app obviously no longer works (and in the absence of an announcement to the contrary, I assume there will not be a new, CC compatible app) and accessing the boards via your hand held's browser is not an effective replacement.

Edited by joepeka
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I emailed Tapatalk support and they said they sent the CC forum admin a notification about the plug-in issue, and what needs to be done to correct it. They said we should report the same to the CC forum admin as requests from members often get looked into more quickly. LauraS, can you confirm you are working on getting the Tapatalk plug-in reactivated

• Thanks 1

The lack of an app version is really limiting my CC time. I used to check in 3-4 times a day. With the app I’d have notifications of posts to the threads I follow now we don’t have any of that. It’s very disappointing. 

• Like 1