Difficulty Sleeping / Insomnia On Cruise Holidays

steveoelliott

3 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

As we age, sleep becomes more difficult. I rely on tryptophan and melatonin at home, but when travelling, I need the occasional prescription strength sleep aid after 5 or 6 bad nights. 

mef_57, what prescription product do you take? Does it have noticeable side effects the next day? 

30 minutes ago, Shellbelle28 said:

mef_57, what prescription product do you take? Does it have noticeable side effects the next day? 

As to Melatonin, it either works, or doesn't work, but you tend to need to give it a few days' trial before giving up on it.

As to the Rx, I am not at home to look at the bottle.  The side effect is a terrible taste in the mouth for a day or so afterwards, but no major grogginess.  I take it so infrequently, I don't recall the name.  Sometimes a partial pill does the trick, but it isn't meant to provide sleep for 8 or so hours, more like 6-7, but at least uninterrupted sleep and I do get more than 7 hours' sleep.

Others rely on Ambian.

If you sleep OK at home but have difficulties on cruises or in hotels then you need to compare that cabin/room to your sleeping environment at home and try to adjust your surroundings to match, if possible. 

I always use a sleep eye mask, sometimes white noise, and sometimes ear plugs although I find them uncomfortable. I also find it helps to have the room/cabin as cold as possible - which isn't always cold enough on some cruise ships so I now have a good fan to use if necessary. I also cover as many of those pesky little lights on electronic devices as I can.

DH is one of those people who is asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow so I turn off all room/cabin lights and read using my lighted Kindle, on a low light setting, until the sleeping tablet takes effect. If I wake during the night and need to go to the bathroom I use my Kindle as a light - I do not turn on the bed light or the bathroom light. Just using a low powered light really helps me get back to sleep more easily. Before I got my lighted Kindle I used an LED book light on low setting.

However there are times when all these things just don't work in a strange sleeping environment. Many years ago I gave up the struggle to sleep well when travelling and now use prescription sleeping tablets when necessary. I got tired of paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for trips that I couldn't enjoy due to lack of sleep. The type I use is Imovane 7.5mg (which may be an Australian brand name). It contains zopiclone, a sedative-hypnotic. I take 1/2 to one tablet and that usually ensures a good solid night's sleep most nights I use it. I don't get any side effects from this product and find it very effective 95% of the time. 

14 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the amount of light in the cabin. These days cabins, even inside cabins, are rarely fully dark. There are tiny lights on TVs, phones, chargers and so on, and if these lights are green or blue it is surprising how much they light up a room. If you are used to sleeping in a very dark room these lights may affect your sleep. I suggest covering as many of them as you can and also try wearing a sleep eye mask. 

So true.  I've put towels, sweaters, books(whatever will block that pesky light) up in many rooms (hotels and cruises).  

50 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

just checked my Rx, it is also Zopiclone 7.5mg and 1/2 a tab is sufficient. My initial dose was 1 - 5mg tablet, but even half of that was sufficient for a full sleep.

50 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

59 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The type I use is Imovane 7.5mg (which may be an Australian brand name). It contains zopiclone, a sedative-hypnotic. I take 1/2 to one tablet and that usually ensures a good solid night's sleep most nights I use it. I don't get any side effects from this product and find it very effective 95% of the time. 

Thank you for the info on the sleep prescription. 

Earplugs are the worst, aren't they? 

1 hour ago, Shellbelle28 said:

Just looked up Zopiclone. In the United States, zopiclone is not commercially available, although its active stereoisomer, eszopiclone, is sold under the name Lunesta. I've heard of Lunesta. 

4 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

I did find some slightly more comfortable ones in Walgreens when I was in NY last month. Their own brand and bell shaped, I think. They are much softer than any others I'd tried in the past.

As the OP, I can honestly say I have been amazed by the amount of feedback / advice the community have provided.

I definitely need to invest in a night light (especially for use in the bathroom as those lights are so bright), an eye mask and some ear plugs.

I also do intend to see my doctor to see if there is anything they can prescribe me to use as an absolute last resort next time I am away. However, I suspect here in the UK they will be reluctant but it doesn't hurt to ask. I have tied melatonin and Nytol and frankly they are useless in my view.

1 hour ago, steveoelliott said:

As the OP, I can honestly say I have been amazed by the amount of feedback / advice the community have provided.

I definitely need to invest in a night light (especially for use in the bathroom as those lights are so bright), an eye mask and some ear plugs.

I also do intend to see my doctor to see if there is anything they can prescribe me to use as an absolute last resort next time I am away. However, I suspect here in the UK they will be reluctant but it doesn't hurt to ask. I have tied melatonin and Nytol and frankly they are useless in my view.

Good luck! 

Read up on relaxation/breathing exercises too. (Can't hurt, work a little.) 

11 hours ago, steveoelliott said:

They might be less reluctant if you explain that you only intend using them when travelling. Good luck.