COLORS OF CANADA & the ZUIDERDAM QUESTIONS????

Chuck

A Great Hello to ALL;  We are doing the Zuiderdam in SEPT. of 2019 which does the "COLORS OF CANADA & NEW ENGLAND.  Has anyone out there done this particular cruise???  It starts out in Quebec City, the goes to the following ports: Saguenay, Charlottetown, Sydney, Halifax, Saint John, Portland, Maine, Boston, and finally New York City.  Its a 13 day cruise.  Iam particularly interested in the Canadian Ports of Call and was wondering what was your "Favorite" things to do and maybe even your "Least" favorite things that you did.  Any words of wisdom and advice will be TRULY APPRECIATED.  I know on the Holland America website it says to bring a warm jacket and even gloves so that I have duly noted.  Oh I forgot to mention it also stops in Newport, Rhode Island too.  THANK YOU TO ALL and I will acknowledge all who help me out.   Chuck     PS   We have opted for the SIGNATURE SUITE which I do consider way over priced but you are only on this old earth for a very short period of time so I splurged.   Navigation Deck 8  Starboard Side.

57 minutes ago, Chuck said:

...  We have opted for the SIGNATURE SUITE which I do consider way over priced but you are only on this old earth for a very short period of time so I splurged.   Navigation Deck 8  Starboard Side.

We recently completed our first HAL cruise, on the Zuiderdam. It was the 20-night Viking Passage, and we opted for a Signature Suite as well, given the length of the cruise.  It was a fabulous cabin (and yes, truly pricey, especially since it really isn't considered a "suite" in terms of perks), and I think you'll enjoy having the extra room.  Lots of storage space, too.  Plus a great bathroom (two sinks, shower/tub combo, and separate shower [very small, but can be used]).

We have our eye on a fall Canada cruise, so I will be interested in the replies you receive here.  

And yes, definitely bring warm clothes!  Enjoy your cruise!

You made a great choice - both your cabin and  the itinerary. We think it is the perfect sized cabin and glad they are available instead of having to pay Neptune suite prices. You will be very comfortable in that cabin.   We could easily keep doing any of the similar itineraries in this part of the world over and over again - different seasons as well. 

We loved the Ann of Green Gables tour out of Charlottetown, pEI and seeing the gorgeous countryside on PEI while getting there. There is also a famous shoe store in the little town of Charlottestown - big brand names and lots of selection. We also loved both the Coal Mine tour and the Fort Louisburg tour on our own two separate stops at Sydney on different cruises.  Look for the snack "poutine" in Canadian ports. - Chez Acton is the best place in Quebec.

I also travel with silk underwear to add as an extra layer (and use as back up pj's) along with gloves, earmuffs, umbrella and neck warmer to cover any possible extra chill.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise. You are off to a very good start. 

Edited by OlsSalt

Hello Turtles06;  A big Thank You for your input. This will be our 3rd cruise with Holland America as we try to build up some Loyalty Rewards with them.  Looks like you are a very experienced cruiser.  Ours is Sept. 15th leaving out of Quebec City.  Hope to see you there!!!!!    THANK YOU AGAIN.

Hello again OlsSalt;  I truly consider you the "TRUE EXPERT" on this site and I wish there was a way to email you and keep in touch. Now that my wife and myself just "retired" we plan on doing many more vacations.  We (just for the record) also have a 10 day cruise booked with  H.A. in JAN. of 2019 on the VEENDAM  to CUBA.  Really getting excited about that one too!!!!!!   I spent about 3 hours yesterday (LOL) looking thru all the Canadian Shore Excursions on the H.A. website.  I picked out some that really appeal to myself and my wife.  Actually have them all kinda picked out except for Boston and possibly Newport, Rhode Island.  In Newport we are strongly leaning towards the " NEWPORT CLIFF WALK & THE BREAKERS".   I think if I remember correctly the Breakers is the Vanderbilt Mansion which should be interesting.  Its quite amazing at the wealth that some of these folks amassed way back when.   We absolutely LOVE CRUISING especially with Holland America just wish we knew some folks to cruise with as its a little more FUN when you know some folks to visit with.  THANK YOU AGAIN OLSSALT.  When it comes to cruising you are without a doubt the TRUE EXPERT. 

We will be on the same cruise. We've done it before starting in NY and going to Quebec. Plan to arrive a few days early to see Quebec. it's a great city. Where did it say to bring gloves. I didn't see that.

Edited by mamaofami

I've got a few random thoughts to share, I might have more to add after I said aboard the Zuiderdam in December (if I remember to revisit this thread) 🙂

I loved the size of the Signature Suite I had last year on the Eurodam, especially for a cruise along the shore line like this because of the large window inside the cabin AND the balcony is a more comfortable size if you will be out there taking in the scenery... they also provide binoculars in the SS cabins. My most favorite feature of the cabin though was the double sinks in the bathroom. You won't regret the splurge for the larger cabin!

As far as ports go, I was recently in Portland, ME for a day (not on a cruise) and if you are a foodie, the city has just been named 2018 Bon Appetite's Restaurant City of the Year. So many good choices! If you aren't a foodie, it is a good compact down town area nicely laid out for walking around or taking a trolley tour. It sits on a bit of a slope, but nothing too drastic. I did a harbor cruise & trolley tour and went out to Portland Head Lighthouse which is one of the most beautiful places in all of New England in my opinion. 

Enjoy the cruise!

Hello Manaofami;  THANK YOU for chiming in.  Is there a way to meet up with you???  My wife and myself always love to meet and visit people from different parts of the country.  We live in Omaha and are very friendly and good people.  I got a kick out of your "Displaced New Yorker".  LOL    We are 68 and 67 respectively.   Thank You again.   Chuck

Hello AOTMC;  We signed up for the "PORTLAND HIGHLIGHTS & VICTORIAN MANSION" excursion thru H.A.    I think that should cover it pretty good atleast I hope.  THANK YOU very much for the great info. 

28 minutes ago, Chuck said:

Hello again OlsSalt;  I truly consider you the "TRUE EXPERT" on this site and I wish there was a way to email you and keep in touch. Now that my wife and myself just "retired" we plan on doing many more vacations.  We (just for the record) also have a 10 day cruise booked with  H.A. in JAN. of 2019 on the VEENDAM  to CUBA.  Really getting excited about that one too!!!!!!   I spent about 3 hours yesterday (LOL) looking thru all the Canadian Shore Excursions on the H.A. website.  I picked out some that really appeal to myself and my wife.  Actually have them all kinda picked out except for Boston and possibly Newport, Rhode Island.  In Newport we are strongly leaning towards the " NEWPORT CLIFF WALK & THE BREAKERS".   I think if I remember correctly the Breakers is the Vanderbilt Mansion which should be interesting.  Its quite amazing at the wealth that some of these folks amassed way back when.   We absolutely LOVE CRUISING especially with Holland America just wish we knew some folks to cruise with as its a little more FUN when you know some folks to visit with.  THANK YOU AGAIN OLSSALT.  When it comes to cruising you are without a doubt the TRUE EXPERT. 

Thanks. As they say, we all stand on the shoulders of those who came before us when we were newbie cruisers too. Many a good tip I have gotten on this forum.

Everyone who spends time cruising with HAL quickly becomes an "expert". Something just clicked with this cruise line and our own travel preferences that sent us from first time cruisers 10 years ago up to almost 500 days without even noticing how it was happening. HAL kept coming up with tantalizing new itineraries at what we also think are value prices, so off we went cruise by cruise - never had a bad one. Yet "ship happens" on all our cruises so we do not travel with "HAL cheer leader" blind eyes. We just keep a can-do attitude and roll with what we get. And keep rolling.

Did the Veendam Cuba last year (its maiden voyage) and Havana was fabulous. We were intimidated as the first group into this new destination with all the apparent US "restrictions" on what we could and could not do. You will now have the advantage to have another layer of actual real experience in Cuba by now.

So be sure to get your best information from those who have now taken this Cuba itinerary well after my own experience last 2017 holiday season - which we confined only to ship tours and no independent exploration. Many/most are doing a lot more independent activities now, and thoroughly enjoying themselves. With Uncle Sam Dept of Treasury looking over their shoulders, so know before you go if you are a US citizen.

You are right about Breakers - never been to Newport RI ourselves - so that looks like a real bonus stop to be added to this New England itinerary. Hope they add it to other itineraries as well. Could be a maiden voyage stop for you, which always makes it more festive.

Edited by OlsSalt

Saguenay : Wake up early enough so that you will enjoy the view as the ship is in close proximity to the Saguenay River shoreline which is completely forested . Likewise, when leaving Saguenay, eat later to enjoy the splendid view. 

In Saguenay, as you get off the ship take advantage of the float plane ( Air Saguenay ) which will give you a spectacular 15-20 minute flight. We have been to Saguenay twice with HAL Eurodam and last month with NCL Gem.

Unfortunately, the flight price went up quite a bit over the past 4 years...they always sell out early. I noticed that there is also a helicopter pad next to the cruise  welcome-centre which was busy for the whole day too. I did not inquire about the helicopter flight fee.

Residents and school kids dressed in  traditional costume greet passengers as they disembark.

Halifax : Visit the new library downtown, if only to get a great view from the outdoor coffee patio on the top floor. Great view of the harbor.

St John : Visit the indoor City Market. Plenty of neat crafts available.

Arriving in NYC : Same idea as for Saguenay. Get up early to enjoy the view of Brooklyn with a very quick glimpse of the Brooklyn Bridge , Manhattan and of course the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. 

12 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Hello Chuck.  My husband and I just did the Colors of Canada and New England on the Zuiderdam in September.  You can read the LIVE thread here if you are interested.  We really enjoyed it and would do it again.

Thank You very much Miss G.   I appreciate it.  

3 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Chuck, check the roll call section for this cruise. People usually sign up there and find a place to meet. if there isn't one, I'll start it.

OK that sounds great.  It is Oh So Much More FUN when you are with other friendly people.   Makes the days fly by.

5 minutes ago, Winters in NZ said:

Saguenay : Wake up early enough so that you will enjoy the view as the ship is in close proximity to the Saguenay River shoreline which is completely forested . Likewise, when leaving Saguenay, eat later to enjoy the splendid view. 

In Saguenay, as you get off the ship take advantage of the float plane ( Air Saguenay ) which will give you a spectacular 15-20 minute flight. We have been to Saguenay twice with HAL Eurodam and last month with NCL Gem.

Unfortunately, the flight price went up quite a bit over the past 4 years...they always sell out early. I noticed that there is also a helicopter pad next to the cruise  welcome-centre which was busy for the whole day too. I did not inquire about the helicopter flight fee.

Residents and school kids dressed in  traditional costume greet passengers as they disembark.

Halifax : Visit the new library downtown, if only to get a great view from the outdoor coffee patio on the top floor. Great view of the harbor.

St John : Visit the indoor City Market. Plenty of neat crafts available.

Arriving in NYC : Same idea as for Saguenay. Get up early to enjoy the view of Brooklyn with a very quick glimpse of the Brooklyn Bridge , Manhattan and of course the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. 

WOW, all great info and certainly "GREAT ADVICE".   I can see Iam going to be busy with all my "Notes"  on things to do and see.  THANK YOU AGAIN "Winters in NZ".

30 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Don't forget all the yummy lobster in  the Canada and New England ports and mussels in PEI.

Dear "Displaced New Yorker"--LOL,  I truly hope that myself and my wife can find you on board and have a beer with you or atleast a snack in case you don't drink.  I can tell that you are a very experienced cruiser so you probably have lots of interesting stories.   Thank You again.  Chuck

This is one of my favorite cruise itineraries.

If you can, plan to arrive in Quebec at least a day early so you have a day to explore the town; it's well worth the extra day (or two if you can swing it!). There is a lovely Tourist Information Bureau at Place d'Armes that offers information and tours. My suggestions are the tours that go out to Ste. Anne de Beaupre and Montmorency Falls, or over to Ile d'Orleans (there is a lovely winery there that does really nice ice wine which is available for tasting). Also, the walking tour of Upper & Lower Town is well worth it, with lots of history and information about Quebec thrown in.

In Charlottetown, if you are not taking the Anne of Green Gables/Island Drive tour (definitely worth it!), it is a lovely town to just walk around in and there is plenty of really nice shops and restaurants close to the port, with excellent lobster rolls and fish & chips. Definitely plan to try the PEI potatoes; there is something different and indescribable about the potatoes on PEI, and they are excellent! The walking tour of the town is very informative.

Sydney is my favorite of the ports you have listed. I know many people do not feel the same, but I love the small-town feel of it. And the downtown area is close enough to walk from the port. I do enjoy walking down to the port and doing souvenir shopping here and stopping in the Tim Horton's for a Double-Double and an order of TimBits to share with my traveling companion. We usually all meet up at the Timmie's after we do our own things. There is a lovely craft fair at the port building, and usually there is a craft fair and (an amazingly cheap) lobster lunch at the St. George Anglican Church Hall.

Halifax is a great town for walking in, especially now that they have the lovely boardwalk along the harbor front. The Citadel is well worth the visit, as are the Halifax Public Gardens. Pro Tip: DO NOT walk up Sackville Street if you are not used to hills, that is a hike & a half for sure. We usually plan a walk around and some shopping in Halifax, as well as a lobster lunch. (I call this itinerary my Lobster Fest, and try to get lobster at every port possible.)

Saint John is a lovely port, but I can't say my experiences have been great there. The first time we took a tour of the Irving Nature Park, but our guise was a competitive walker and thought everyone else on the tour was too. It was so hard to keep up with her that the only nature I saw was the leaf litter and the roots on the ground as I was trying desperately not to trip. The second visit was better, but it was a miserable day - cold with bouts of heavy rain, driving winds, and fog. I'd love a chance to visit the city in better weather! There is an interesting police museum near the Saint John City Market, where we took refuge from one of the bands of rain that was moving through.

Portland, Maine was a lovely town, though we didn't see much of it. We took a tour out to Kennebunkport, which is also a lovely little town. If you want to go out to Kennebunkport, I would definitely suggest a taking s ship-based tour. Mine was delayed because of the tides and we were the last group to get back to the ship. The ship was ready to leave when we got there. In fact, they pulled in the gangway after the last person in our group stepped off it on the ship. I would not risk a trip too far out from Portland without the security offered by a ship's tour.

Boston is my least favorite port on this itinerary. I rarely go ashore in Boston. I know many people really like and enjoy Boston, I am just not one of them. It's lovely to stay on board and have the ship to yourself. There is plenty of activity in the port to watch, and because of it's proximity to Logan Airport, it's fun to watch the planes.  It is usually a scheduled training day for the crew and on my past few visits, the training has included a ship-wide emergency so the elevators are out of order for at least an hour on board. I plan for that and head up to the Lido to snag a table by the windows early and hang out there for most of the morning on board.

Newport is fun to visit. There is a beautiful church not far from the tender landing with a Wine-Glass Pulpit that is worth seeing. And it's a nice place to walk, though it's not as nice as it has been since the locals pushed the anchorages out further and the tender rides take longer and are a bit rougher now than they have been in past. My first cruise on this itinerary was in 1998 and here have been a LOT of changes in all the ports since then, and not all of them good for the tourists, in my opinion.

Sorry for the wall of text here, but it is my favorite itinerary and I love talking about the ports and things to do when there. And I'm sure my answers will be different from others.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JeffElizabeth said:

We just did this cruise in reverse on the Zuiderdam and really liked it, especially the extra days we did in Quebec City. We were early for the leaves most of the cruise, late September but Quebec City was peaking.

Jeff & Elizabeth;  What in particular did you guys do in Quebec City as we are going to fly in a couple days early before we leave port on the Zuiderdam. 

Hi Ellieanne;  WOW, Thank You for all the really "GREAT INFORMATION".  I can tell that there is way more to do on this trip than we will ever get done.  I spent about 3+ hours yesterday going thru all the Ships Shore Excursions and then I realized you just can't see and do everything.  So I guess its just pick the favorites and hang on tight!!!!!   LOL   THANK YOU AGAIN,  as I truly do appreciate all the great info.    Chuck

We've done a lot of those ports spread over different cruises.    The last time to the Canada stops was just last week.  ALL ship tours!

We like the Extended Peggy's Cove w/o Lunch.  We ended up in their restaurant on Peggy's Cove and had more food, and it cost a little less than what they offered on the lunch included version.  Get the gingerbread!  Peggy's Cove was cold and rainy, everyone was back at the bus 20 minutes early.  With the Extended Visit, we had time for a leisurely lunch and were able to visit all the shops.  Other tours, we've already felt rushed.  We opted this time for the postcard photographer that took a picture of us and the lighthouse w/ his little camera and printed it on a postcard.   Postcard was pretty thick glossy card stock.  They were taking US dollars on a one to one basis.  I had already exchanged some CAD, so I'm hoping I got the better deal.

Oh Canada Small Group is also fun.  We did it in 2016.  Get a brief visit to several places, including Peggy's Cove and Luninberg.  Luninberg wasn't available for several years while they filmed Haven.  The smaller vehicle can actually drive down their narrow streets.

We did the mansions w/ lunch in Newport.  Pretty nice tour, but we did have an issue with a blocked off road.   Their lunch was quite good.

In Boston, we did the Salem and Witch Museum.  No photography allowed in the witch museum.  Interesting, but I'd avoid doing this again in October.  Way too crowded.  We also had to keep an eye out for pickpockets.  Also done the city tour and cruise, as well as the Lexington and Concord.  With the city tour and cruise, our guide insisted on driving us by the capital building though it wasn't on the tour.

Sydney - We've done the Violin concert several times.  DH loves it because no bus ride.  It takes place in the terminal on the pier.

Get up early on Quebec City day.  I got some wonderful pre-dawn shots of that fancy hotel from my balcony.  We did the one w/ the Falls and the Sugar Shack.

Bar Harbor - We just walked around the shops a little.  We were disappointed the blueberry shop was already closed.  For a first time visitor, I'd suggest the Cadillac Mountain and Acadia National Park.  For our next cruise, we're probably going to do the Intimate Acadia.  Sometimes the boat tours get cancelled due to weather.  Looks like they'll never change this to a pier port, because they completely redid everything and we're still having to tender in.  At least w/ tendering, we're dropped right into the enter of town.

Edited by knittinggirl

23 minutes ago, knittinggirl said:

We've done a lot of those ports spread over different cruises.    The last time to the Canada stops was just last week.  ALL ship tours!

We like the Extended Peggy's Cove w/o Lunch.  We ended up in their restaurant on Peggy's Cove and had more food, and it cost a little less than what they offered on the lunch included version.  Get the gingerbread!  Peggy's Cove was cold and rainy, everyone was back at the bus 20 minutes early.  With the Extended Visit, we had time for a leisurely lunch and were able to visit all the shops.  Other tours, we've already felt rushed.  We opted this time for the postcard photographer that took a picture of us and the lighthouse w/ his little camera and printed it on a postcard.   Postcard was pretty thick glossy card stock.  They were taking US dollars on a one to one basis.  I had already exchanged some CAD, so I'm hoping I got the better deal.

Oh Canada Small Group is also fun.  We did it in 2016.  Get a brief visit to several places, including Peggy's Cove and Luninberg.  Luninberg wasn't available for several years while they filmed Haven.  The smaller vehicle can actually drive down their narrow streets.

We did the mansions w/ lunch in Newport.  Pretty nice tour, but we did have an issue with a blocked off road.   Their lunch was quite good.

In Boston, we did the Salem and Witch Museum.  No photography allowed in the witch museum.  Interesting, but I'd avoid doing this again in October.  Way too crowded.  We also had to keep an eye out for pickpockets.  Also done the city tour and cruise, as well as the Lexington and Concord.  With the city tour and cruise, our guide insisted on driving us by the capital building though it wasn't on the tour.

Sydney - We've done the Violin concert several times.  DH loves it because no bus ride.  It takes place in the terminal on the pier.

Get up early on Quebec City day.  I got some wonderful pre-dawn shots of that fancy hotel from my balcony.  We did the one w/ the Falls and the Sugar Shack.

Bar Harbor - We just walked around the shops a little.  We were disappointed the blueberry shop was already closed.  For a first time visitor, I'd suggest the Cadillac Mountain and Acadia National Park.  For our next cruise, we're probably going to do the Intimate Acadia.  Sometimes the boat tours get cancelled due to weather.  Looks like they'll never change this to a pier port, because they completely redid everything and we're still having to tender in.  At least w/ tendering, we're dropped right into the enter of town.

Hello Knittinggirl;  A "BIG THANK YOU" goes out to you for all this "GREAT INFO".  I have a Big Question for YOU.  Was the "SALEM WITCH MUSEUM" in BOSTON worth the time and effort???  We looked thru all the Ships Excursions in Boston and  they didn't really for some reason excite us all that much.  Walking over rough ground in Lexington and Concord for some crazy reason just didn't float our boat, no pun intended.  Thank You again, for all your advice and input.  Chuck