The Douro? What Do You Think?

Lois R

Good morning, Jazz, that is a good suggestion, thank you.  Final payment for this cruise is Dec 5th so that is still mid winter (not sure what early 2019 will show) but I can wait a few weeks before making a final decision. Basically, I have the month of November to make a decision.

Lois,

I would go ahead and go with the flow. As I mentioned in my review, the most spectacular scenery was on the bus rides to the attractions. The Douro is a short river (154 miles from Porto to Barca de Alva), so if you would be able to see everything without overly oppressive bus rides. I knew about the possible problems when I booked our Douro cruise, but we made it with no high water problems. And things can change quickly. Somewhere on CC there's a post about a Danube cruise where the cruisers were warned of low water at the beginning of the cruise and then before the cruise was over they had problems with high water!!

Have not had time to read all of the responses, but we just returned from the Douro cruise with Vantage and have done it before with Uniworld.  The Uniworld was a Porto to Porto and Vantage began in Madrid with a couple of days in that area and ended in Lisbon with another couple of days there.  The Uniworld cruise showed us that this was a very special country and we decided to return two years later and cruise during the Harvesting Time.  We would highly recommend this if you really want to experience Portugal and get a little taste of Spain. We have no negative comments regarding the Vantage cruise other than - you better be ready for a busy, interesting cruise because they don't waste a moment showing the passengers this beautiful country.  If anyone has any questions, I will be glad to answer. 

Cole

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FuelScience said:

Lois,

I would go ahead and go with the flow. As I mentioned in my review, the most spectacular scenery was on the bus rides to the attractions. The Douro is a short river (154 miles from Porto to Barca de Alva), so if you would be able to see everything without overly oppressive bus rides. I knew about the possible problems when I booked our Douro cruise, but we made it with no high water problems. And things can change quickly. Somewhere on CC there's a post about a Danube cruise where the cruisers were warned of low water at the beginning of the cruise and then before the cruise was over they had problems with high water!!

Hi. We did the Douro on EMERALD RADIANCE in sept. Great trip. No water problems. Loved the scenery, new boat, food, Portuguese staff, and excursions.. thoroughly recommend 

Cole,

we are thinking about the Douro river Cruise.  We saw a bit of Porto while on a Viking Ocean Cruise.  Trying to decide between Vantage and Viking.  We would definitley go during the fall to see the harvest.

16 hours ago, deec said:

Cole,

we are thinking about the Douro river Cruise.  We saw a bit of Porto while on a Viking Ocean Cruise.  Trying to decide between Vantage and Viking.  We would definitley go during the fall to see the harvest.

I'm not Cole, but I did the Douro back in April. We went with Vantage for a couple of reasons. For our cruise Vantage offered stays in Madrid and Lisbon pre and post cruise. One of the highlights for us was an excursion from Madrid to Toledo during our pre-cruise stay in Madrid--not an option with the standard Viking cruise. Vantage also offered an extension to Madeira which we booked, but weren't able to do due to medical issues. Also the Vantage cruise is a one way trip, either Barca de Alva to Porto or vice versa, whereas VIking's cruise is Porto to Porto. I liked the idea of Salamanca being a stop on the bus ride from Madrid to Barca de Alva rather than a long round trip from Barca de Alva.

I've posted a link to my review below. Hope it's useful.

On 10/28/2018 at 9:58 AM, garf1108 said:

I have booked on the AMA for June 2019.

Garf, we are looking at June 2019 on AMA, as well. I am new to this site and having trouble locating info/roll call and so on. (Though I realize the ships don't hold many and the Vida will be new so this probably impacts existing information!). Any other place I should look for info or helpful tips? 

On 10/23/2018 at 7:55 PM, Lois R said:

Hi everyone (especially Amy:classic_biggrin:)….I spoke with a rep at UNIWORLD and am probably going with them.  I have a cabin on hold actually. They can hold it for 3 days but I should know something before then.   It is pre-cruise in Lisbon for 3 days and then sailing with the cruise ending in Porto.   Will let you know when I actually give them $$ for a deposit.

We did this cruise this June with Uniworld and loved the Lisbon pre sailing stay & the beautiful river.  I enjoyed the Côa Valley Archaeological Park visit with 25,000 year old rock carvings.  In Lisbon we walked from the Uniworld hotel and visited the Gulbenkian museum with paintings from the masters and lots of other interesting exhibits.

PHOTOS..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/seacoast_nh/albums/72157692717046770

Hi, after much soul searching I have cancelled this cruise......just didn't feel 100% about it and when you are spending this kind of $$? Not worth it with the doubts I am having right now.  I know the area is supposed to be lovely but I don't want to have to take a bus every day.   I will find something else.  I know Uniworld keeps 200.00 of the deposit and it is good for 5 years so maybe I will find something else with them in the future.

Thanks for the replies.

• Like 1

Hi lois,  it is a shame that you’ve cancelled because I’m sure you would’ve loved it. I have just got back from a river cruise with Emerald waterways on the radiance. We started in Lisbon as well and have a wonderful four days there before going onto Porto and onto the river. Yes most of the excursions involved a short bus trip there was still plenty to look at at the little villages when we docked. Both my husband and I have done Amsterdam to Bucharest  with Uni world which was absolutely fantastic but do you know what we preferred Emerald and the Duroe river it was just really lovely have a rethink because uni world is very expensive we paid Far less With Emerald radiance but enjoyed our time just as much

Well Lisbon is a fab place to spend 3 or more days in, surrounded by amazing villages that are worth visiting...

i know the river cruises are expensive , but once paid, we never spent a cent..

i have a long review on the emerald Radiance that cruise critic is taking forever to post ( I know they are busy).. 

ive done cheap ocean cruises and my account at the end was more than my original price for the cruise.. 

im extremely happy with what we got on Emerald..

On 10/26/2018 at 8:01 AM, cole said:

Have not had time to read all of the responses, but we just returned from the Douro cruise with Vantage and have done it before with Uniworld.  The Uniworld was a Porto to Porto and Vantage began in Madrid with a couple of days in that area and ended in Lisbon with another couple of days there.  The Uniworld cruise showed us that this was a very special country and we decided to return two years later and cruise during the Harvesting Time.  We would highly recommend this if you really want to experience Portugal and get a little taste of Spain. We have no negative comments regarding the Vantage cruise other than - you better be ready for a busy, interesting cruise because they don't waste a moment showing the passengers this beautiful country.  If anyone has any questions, I will be glad to answer. 

Cole

Cole,

Glad you had a good cruise. Just a couple of questions. Was Eleuterio your CD? He did a great job on our cruise and took good care of us when my health issue came up. Also, did you do any of the optional excursions from Madrid or Lisbon, and what was your opinion of them?

Thanks!