Meraviglia on Smithsonian Channel This Week!

jvsnana

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 2:40 PM, jvsnana said:

Enjoyed watching the show last night on Mighty Ships and noticed it will be featured all week if anyone is interested :classic_smile:

Hi JVS (if this is super big not sure why)!  We booked Meraviglia for spring break 2020.  Recorded show a few days ago but haven't watched.

Edited by dexddd

4 hours ago, jvsnana said:

Yacht Club I presume?? :classic_biggrin:

Yep (not sure why it posted like it was you and while typing it was very large but posted right).   I wasn't paying a ton of attention to 2020 but checked DD's spring break schedule, saw Meraviglia was sailing then out of Miami and it had a RS open so we booked.  Not sure when DS has spring break though so he may have to stay home ala Risky Business.

I really wanted to go in October for one of the NE sailings like you are on but it just wouldn't work (i.e. DW would kill me).

Anxiously awaiting a little over 4 months until Seaside.

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

Yep (not sure why it posted like it was you and while typing it was very large but posted right).   I wasn't paying a ton of attention to 2020 but checked DD's spring break schedule, saw Meraviglia was sailing then out of Miami and it had a RS open so we booked.  Not sure when DS has spring break though so he may have to stay home ala Risky Business.

I really wanted to go in October for one of the NE sailings like you are on but it just wouldn't work (i.e. DW would kill me).

Anxiously awaiting a little over 4 months until Seaside.

Ohhh...the RS will be a treat!  Have you stayed in one before?

Being retired, 22 days for us in October will be great fun....one day your DW will thank you for it, haha.

We leave in 10 days for 11 days on NCL Star!

45 minutes ago, kelleherdl said:

There were actually two episodes on the Meraviglia. There was one on the construction through sea trials and one on the inaugural cruise. The construction episode was more interesting.

Dennis

I watched that one too!  It was called "Building Giants...Monster Cruise Ship"

I did not post it with the other as I did not see it being re-run. 

Very interesting show and lots of detail!

18 hours ago, jvsnana said:

Ohhh...the RS will be a treat!  Have you stayed in one before?

Being retired, 22 days for us in October will be great fun....one day your DW will thank you for it, haha.

We leave in 10 days for 11 days on NCL Star!

Yeah, we had the non-Sophia Loren one on Divinia for DD's grad trip plus a deluxe.

We also got one on Seaside in June 2019 - in March on Seaside we have a deluxe plus YIN.

I had to cave and watch the sailing episode last night.  DW asked what I was watching, I told her, asked if she wanted to watch and she said with a glare "NOOOO".  I was  informed Hallmark Channel has 22 new xmas movies coming out - uggh.  In  any case, I'll watch it again with the kids when closer to the sailing.

Wish we could do more, longer trips.  Are you in the GV on Star with your family?  I recall you had a Mex Riv trip on Star but not sure if the upcoming one or you already went.  In any case, have a great trip on the Star - we've been on Star twice, Dawn once, but neither since the drydocks.

On 11/10/2018 at 8:25 AM, dexddd said:

Yeah, we had the non-Sophia Loren one on Divinia for DD's grad trip plus a deluxe.

We also got one on Seaside in June 2019 - in March on Seaside we have a deluxe plus YIN.

I had to cave and watch the sailing episode last night.  DW asked what I was watching, I told her, asked if she wanted to watch and she said with a glare "NOOOO".  I was  informed Hallmark Channel has 22 new xmas movies coming out - uggh.  In  any case, I'll watch it again with the kids when closer to the sailing.

Wish we could do more, longer trips.  Are you in the GV on Star with your family?  I recall you had a Mex Riv trip on Star but not sure if the upcoming one or you already went.  In any case, have a great trip on the Star - we've been on Star twice, Dawn once, but neither since the drydocks.

Hallmark Channel Christmas movies are the best! 🎄

Our family cruise is not until March.  We have 3 Family Suites...there are 13 of us, so we would need both GV's now...not cost effective since we are footing the bill :classic_biggrin:

Looking at Tahiti for 2020...more research to do on which cruise line to go with.  You have done Tahiti, right?

I am not sure MSC does that run???

3 hours ago, jvsnana said:

Hallmark Channel Christmas movies are the best! 🎄

Our family cruise is not until March.  We have 3 Family Suites...there are 13 of us, so we would need both GV's now...not cost effective since we are footing the bill :classic_biggrin:

Looking at Tahiti for 2020...more research to do on which cruise line to go with.  You have done Tahiti, right?

I am not sure MSC does that run???

Yes, we did Tahiti a few years back with the kids.  We were booked on another one a year or so ago but DW changed areas so she didn't have vacation seniority anymore for the two weeks we would have needed (were going to do 11 day).

I would say hands-down go with Paul Gauguin (PG).  I'd also say go for the 10 or 11 day ones as it isn't that much more and with the long flight there you'll have more time to get into the groove.

After you get past the initial sticker shock, realize that their fare includes airfare from LA (which you can opt out of and get a credit), all drinks (except ultra high-end stuff), meals onboard, and tips.  You could easily walk on and off without spending a dime.  When you fly in, they put you (or at least they used to) at the IC hotel to freshen up and use the pool or ocean before they take you to the ship at noon.  On the way out, they do something similar between leaving the ship and night flight.

The ship is about the size of the old Princess Love Boats and super easy to get around.  The staff is superb.  PG owns one and goes to two small private islands for a beach day.  Food - outstanding.  PG has been doing that route for years and knows how to do it the best.  They have subject matter experts on for various subjects.

All of French Polynesia gets the same amount of travelers in one year that Hawaii gets in one week.  The islands are super laid back and quiet.  Marine life is superb as well.