HAL's Roll Calls

mcrcruiser

A good question! One that I've also wondered about. In the past, I've set up meet-and-greets after engaging in a CC roll call. Our roll call for the cruise we took this past June was relatively poorly attended. The resulting meet-and-greet was us, another couple and one other who stopped by but left. I wonder if the typical HAL customer has been on enough cruises to know what they're doing and they aren't looking for a roll call as a "social" event. It seems that roll calls for other lines (NCL for example) are all about setting up all sorts of social things that happen once on-board.

Celebrity makes it easier, since they organize the Meet & Greet party, provide online signup, and have the invitations waiting in the cabins on embarkation day. Sometimes people organize gift exchanges, slot pulls, cabin crawls to tour various categories, etc with big roll call groups. I remember such a group during the maiden Eclipse transatlantic voyage, when people staying in the very top suite on the ship invited everyone to see it during the cabin crawl.

But even a small group can have a lot of fun. The best roll call we’ve ever joined was for a HAL two-week Alaska cruise. Two sisters on board were in a Neptune suite, and invited everyone in for ore-dinner drinks many of the nights - we all brought along bottles of wine and the Neptune Lounge concierge arranged great hors d’oeuvres. One night they invited the cruise’s Pacific NW wine expert who attended with his wife. Lots of people got together to plan excursions and meals ashore, and there was a great spirit of camaraderie. So you never know.

Edited by Caribbean Chris
Spelling

I'm on the Veendam on December 8th and so far I'm the only one on the roll call!  I like being able to arrange excursions with people on the roll call.  DH and I won't do a $600 charter but if we get a few more people........This has worked so well in the past and I'm disappointed that I'm  not able to do it for this cruise.

I guess I'm lucky as my roll calls have been quite active.  A couple were crazy active 🙂 

I organize a number of meet and greets and only include in my numbers those that confirm they will be there.  Our turnouts have always been good - at least, so far 😉. And often, people that didn't confirm come as well - which is great.

I don't know if it has to do with the itinerary, length of cruise or something else.  

Some of our itineraries have been pretty unique which means doing some real research on some ports.  That may help draw people to share?

I just initiated the roll call for EURODAM - August 3, 2019 where we've booked three cabins (us, kids and grand kids). The roll calls we did years ago on O'dam were fantastic and there was a Cruise Critic banner that we all would sign and have photographed from shore prior to departure. It was a lot of fun. One meet and greet that I organized, I ended up missing because I forgot to time change and showed up when it ended. It was pretty embarrassed. We were thinking of sailing on NCL Bliss next summer and I looked at some of their roll calls and was floored by the number of participants.

Joining others for private touring is of interest but I don’t automatically join the roll call anymore.  I will lurk and respond if something interesting comes up.  The novelty of meet and greets has worn off, fewer people attend across several cruise lines we sail. 

19 minutes ago, sammiedawg said:

Joining others for private touring is of interest but I don’t automatically join the roll call anymore.  I will lurk and respond if something interesting comes up.  The novelty of meet and greets has worn off, fewer people attend across several cruise lines we sail. 

Because of Meet & Greet  gatherings we have met & still have many friends :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

I understand that long-time cruisers may not be as interested in roll calls and meet and greets as they once were.  However, there are others like myself who have not cruised much or ever. I've been reading and learning so much from all who have cruised before. I would like to interact with them face to face if they are on the same cruise. And to meet any other CC members who are also new or don't post much.

17 hours ago, grsnovi said:

A good question! One that I've also wondered about. In the past, I've set up meet-and-greets after engaging in a CC roll call. Our roll call for the cruise we took this past June was relatively poorly attended. The resulting meet-and-greet was us, another couple and one other who stopped by but left. I wonder if the typical HAL customer has been on enough cruises to know what they're doing and they aren't looking for a roll call as a "social" event. It seems that roll calls for other lines (NCL for example) are all about setting up all sorts of social things that happen once on-board.

Our upcoming Roll Call has about 20 people, but there is NO communication except from 2 of us.  We wanted to do an organized meet-and-greet thru HAL, but it doesn't seem worth it to go through all the trouble.  We thought we'd just post on the Board to notify people of place and time.  For a small group, is it worth it to go to the trouble of a formal MNG?

1 hour ago, CM1984 said:

Our upcoming Roll Call has about 20 people, but there is NO communication except from 2 of us.  We wanted to do an organized meet-and-greet thru HAL, but it doesn't seem worth it to go through all the trouble.  We thought we'd just post on the Board to notify people of place and time.  For a small group, is it worth it to go to the trouble of a formal MNG?

If you think only a few will show up, then your idea to do an informal meet and greet is just fine.  By 'informal' I mean you just announce a place and time as you have suggested and do it on your own without arranging with HAL.

That can and certainly has been done 😄 

We don't join a roll call because we aren't joiners.  My husband is introverted and quiet. I am friendly and don't hesitate to talk to people when we travel.  Most of my traveling friends are roll call types, but we just don't enjoy group situations with strangers.   Our first cruise was years ago on Royal Caribbean, and we had assigned seating at large table with extended family.  It was awful and not to be repeated.  We were asked questions like "is British Columbia in South America? Do you drive on the right side of the road?" lol  At the time, it was an overwhelming experience. We didn't want to create a riff by changing to another table.  30 years later it seems funny. But we are  booked for open seating and will ask for a table for two. 

6 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Anyone have tips in finding the "first unread" on the specific HAL Roll Calls?  Right now I have to go to the "last page" and work from there.

Click on the blue star/dot to the left of the rollcall title. That will take you to the first unread post.

You can also click on the time under the name of the person who posted last and you will go to the last post.

Hope this helps.

7 minutes ago, OVgirl said:

Click on the blue star/dot to the left of the rollcall title. That will take you to the first unread post.

You can also click on the time under the name of the person who posted last and you will go to the last post.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestion but I am still hoping for something more simple.

Currently I bookmark my specific roll call, so that is how I enter the specific Roll Call thread - so there is no way to see that very handy blue star (first unread) once I am  already into the thread via the bookmark - at least from what I can figure out.

Eg: Maasdam Roll Calls - July XXXX thread. 

Otherwise I would  need to scroll through the entire list of Roll Calls for a ship to find my own particular cruise and then go into it from the blue star, as you point out.

I must still be doing something wrong - because that is not an easy way to access the specific roll call for me and get to the "first unread". 

55 minutes ago, wales4ever said:

There is no roll call for our February cruise on nieuw amsterdam..

No roll call?  Someone has to start it 😉. Why not let it be you?

Just go to the N Amsterdam roll calls and get it going 😉

We decided to go ahead and ask Hal to set up a Meet and Greet for our 11/25/18 Zuiderdam cruise.  I filled out the form and did not know if they would be willing to set it up for a group of 10-15.  They did and will provide coffee/tea/water and cookies.  If only 6 come, we can always load down our ziplocs with the cookies! And a 15 minute turn-around on my fax!  Now that's Service!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lindylou08 said:

We sailed 2012 joined a roll call and lady on there organised some shore excursions which we joined . Does that still happen ???  How else do you organise excursions ??

It certainly does 😉