Are printed boarding passes essential?

Jevsy

I don't know how just taking a passport will help.  We've always had to show our boarding passes just to get into the terminal.  No one outside of the terminal would be able to print off a boarding pass for you.  Even though you booked through UK CCL, is it possible to call US CCL and see what they have to say.  Could UK CCL  e-mail a copy of it to you?  

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

I don't know how just taking a passport will help.  We've always had to show our boarding passes just to get into the terminal.  No one outside of the terminal would be able to print off a boarding pass for you.  Even though you booked through UK CCL, is it possible to call US CCL and see what they have to say.  Could UK CCL  e-mail a copy of it to you?  

depending on the port you are sailing out, there is always a port agent who has a copy of the passenger manifest.  If you do your online checkin with your passport numbers, it should be on the list. They use your passport to verify you are on the manifest and i think they can give you a document to allow you to check in and board the ship.

Agree that if you cannot fix this issue while in the UK then wait until you are in the USA. Hopefully you are coming in at least one day before your cruise. Your  hotel will have facilities to print your boarding pass and luggage tags. I would have expected that your travel agent would have figured a way to do this for you but NO worries! They will let you on the ship even without the boarding pass.

Have your reservation code and your passport and they will issue you a pass at the dock.

Wish CC allowed me to delete this post! It is NOT the lack of a printer, it is the inability to actually get on my Carnival account to do anything at all! Not just me but other family members and other UK customers!! CCL US do know about the UK issues. I will draw the line here.... I shall take our cruise confirmation docs from when we booked plus passports (for ID of course!) and collect luggage tags there. Thank you all for your replies, some helpful, some not 😬 

34 minutes ago, Jevsy said:

Wish CC allowed me to delete this post! It is NOT the lack of a printer, it is the inability to actually get on my Carnival account to do anything at all! Not just me but other family members and other UK customers!! CCL US do know about the UK issues. I will draw the line here.... I shall take our cruise confirmation docs from when we booked plus passports (for ID of course!) and collect luggage tags there. Thank you all for your replies, some helpful, some not 😬 

I realize it’s not a printer issue, but you still can’t print your documents. I think you are taking some of the posts including my first one too literally. The fact is you can’t print your documents because you can’t get access to your info. I gathered that from the beginning. I think others did too. 

As as far as the other posts that you find “not helpful” I don’t know what you’re referring to. Suggesting you try and print your boarding passes from a hotel in the US is a pretty decent idea. Maybe it has to do with the IP address you are trying to log on from. Honestly I’m not sure how that all works, but it could be worth a try. Sorry you feel the way you do. We were only trying to help and I’m not sure what else you want us to say. 

19 minutes ago, firemanbobswife said:

I realize it’s not a printer issue, but you still can’t print your documents. I think you are taking some of the posts including my first one too literally. The fact is you can’t print your documents because you can’t get access to your info. I gathered that from the beginning. I think others did too. 

As as far as the other posts that you find “not helpful” I don’t know what you’re referring to. Suggesting you try and print your boarding passes from a hotel in the US is a pretty decent idea. Maybe it has to do with the IP address you are trying to log on from. Honestly I’m not sure how that all works, but it could be worth a try. Sorry you feel the way you do. We were only trying to help and I’m not sure what else you want us to say. 

Sorry for how I came across, but the unhelpful bit relates to the comments about printing from somewhere else. Comments from several people who just didn't get that its not a printing issue but an IT one. . It isn't a device issue or a location issue. We in the UK can only use Carnival Uk unless we actually booked through Carnival.com US. Will still be unable to access our booking wherever we try from. Anyway, again apologies. :classic_wink:

13 minutes ago, Jevsy said:

Sorry for how I came across, but the unhelpful bit relates to the comments about printing from somewhere else. Comments from several people who just didn't get that its not a printing issue but an IT one. . It isn't a device issue or a location issue. We in the UK can only use Carnival Uk unless we actually booked through Carnival.com US. Will still be unable to access our booking wherever we try from. Anyway, again apologies. :classic_wink:

I had no idea you had to go through a different address if you booked in the UK so thanks for that info. I thought that as long as you had a booking number, ship/sail date, DOB, and last name, you could log in and get it through there. That’s how I input all my friend’s and family’s info to check them in and print their passes. 

Hope they straighten it out. If not, someone at the port will assist you. Try not to stress too much. 

• Like 1

DH works for the cruise lines at one of the FL ports and I asked him what happens if passenger does not have a boarding pass? He said the passenger gives his cabin number, it is entered into the check-in computer and the name listed is checked against the passenger's passport or his other identifying documentation. Sometimes people don't even know their cabin number! It can be done, but it takes longer and holds up the whole check in process for those waiting and who do have their boarding passes.

• 2 weeks later...

At Galveston, in order to get past certain checkpoints you have to show your boarding time pass.  If it later than the current window, then you have to wait outside the terminal building. So, if you checkin time is 1130-1200 and it is 11, you have to wait.  If it is 1230, you get to go right in.