Everything Hurtigruten - question answered!

hallasm

22 hours ago, p18750 said:

Does anyone know if the Roald Amundsen has sailed yet? I believe it was scheduled to depart today on its first commercial cruise. 

First journey starts on June 27th. out of Hamburg, Germany. She should be on her journey out of Norway now to arrive in Hamburg in the morning at 8.oo a.m. on the 27th.

On 6/24/2019 at 11:10 PM, hallasm said:

Norwegian does have a connection via London with layover of 8h:25m  - no direct flights LAX - BGO as well as too late arrival into BGO.

My answer is for that specific sail day in October 29

Here's what I just found: Just two hours in London.

1325858119_Screenshot2019-06-26at2_31_15PM.thumb.png.6d445ed796841c3d61e854496a8a5489.png

3 minutes ago, Cotswold Eagle said:

Those flights arrive in Oslo the day after the cruise in question departs Bergen....

Sorry, I misread.  I think it's pretty common for Norwegian to not fly every day from the US.  Perhaps you could come in on an earlier flight, take the train to Bergen and spend a few days in Bergen.  It's a very nice and pretty place with great restaurants.  The Scandinavian countries are setting the food world on fire.  Here's where we ate and it was exceptional:

http://lysverket.no/en/

1 hour ago, clo said:

I think it's pretty common for Norwegian to not fly every day from the US. 

Also flying the day of the cruise, Norwegian Air might not be the best choice - 22% flights delayed with an average delay of 47 minutes - might be risky at the day of your cruise - in particular if multiple stops.

However, has improved a bit over the last months.  

4 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Also flying the day of the cruise, Norwegian Air might not be the best choice - 22% flights delayed with an average delay of 47 minutes - might be risky at the day of your cruise - in particular if multiple stops.

I can't imagine a circumstance where I would plan to arrive the same day as a departure - for a land or sea trip.  Even if driving.

Edited by clo
  • Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 9:30 AM, grayjay said:

We loved that train journey, especially in winter it's stunning. Just a recommendation: when booking, book Comfort Class - not much more money, nicer seats, free tea and coffee. Sells out quickly.

Comfort Class is the way to go, but if you are going to/from Bergen to take the train to Flam at Myrdal, it is not available on that route; only if you go straight through Bergen < > Oslo.

• Like 1

I am planning for our Antarctic expedition on Roald Amundsen next year and wanted to make sure what NOT to bring as they are provided by the ship. Hopefully those who have experience can comment. 

Coat or Jacket - Several reviews and posts have mentioned the jackets that are given to each passenger to keep and so I am not planning on bringing a coat or a rain coat. I am planning on taking a vest to wear under the provided jacket. 

Boots - again there has been mention that boots are provided by the ship so I am only planning on bringing hiking shoes and slippers for use on the ship. 

Walking poles - I assume these are also provided by the ship but there has been little mention of them. 

Anything else?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, p18750 said:

I am planning for our Antarctic expedition on Roald Amundsen next year and wanted to make sure what NOT to bring as they are provided by the ship. Hopefully those who have experience can comment. 

Coat or Jacket - Several reviews and posts have mentioned the jackets that are given to each passenger to keep and so I am not planning on bringing a coat or a rain coat. I am planning on taking a vest to wear under the provided jacket. 

Boots - again there has been mention that boots are provided by the ship so I am only planning on bringing hiking shoes and slippers for use on the ship. 

Walking poles - I assume these are also provided by the ship but there has been little mention of them. 

Anything else?

It will be summer there but some people still get cold.  You may want a real sweater for under the jacket.  It's not a heavy jacket.  They not only provide boots; you must wear them when you go ashore.  You'll walk through a disinfectant upon leaving the ship and returning.  With brushes like a car wash.  They don't want anything taken ashore or moved from one area to another.  They do have trekking poles.  A cap, scarf, gloves.  You can get a little wet climbing out of the zodiac.  Just a note. We didn't keep the jacket.  We have too many as it is and didn't think theirs was anything we'd ever wear again.  It's an amazing trip.  Enjoy.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 5:17 AM, nascartony20fan1 said:

Anyone here been on MS Fram to Antarctica? We are considering the Falkland Islands/South Georgia itinerary. Not a lot of info online and the rooms seem very tiny. I would like any info on Hurtigruten, MS Fram, and/or the Antarctic Itineraries. Thanks!

Christie

I have, twice. I loved every minute of it. I found the cabins just fine, even roomy, but we all have our particulars and I don't have much experience with cruise ship cabins. You are not in the cabin much except to shower and sleep anyway. I don't think you should choose a trip to Antarctica based on the cabin (but again, we all have our priorities). The main problem for me in the cabins is the lack of space to leave your outer gear (jacket and pants) to dry when it's wet.

MS Fram is a great ship, and with around 200 passengers it is becoming a small ship for Hurtigruten (compared to Midnatsol or the new builds), and you want a smaller ship in Antarctica to give more time and experience to each passenger.

My second trip was Falklands/SG/Antarctica and I would really recommend that. South Georgia is something else and Falklands was an incredible discovery.

You can see my trip reports on my blog in signature. If you have specific questions I'll be happy to answer.

On 8/2/2019 at 6:59 AM, SarniaLo said:

I have, twice. I loved every minute of it. I found the cabins just fine, even roomy, but we all have our particulars and I don't have much experience with cruise ship cabins. You are not in the cabin much except to shower and sleep anyway. I don't think you should choose a trip to Antarctica based on the cabin (but again, we all have our priorities). The main problem for me in the cabins is the lack of space to leave your outer gear (jacket and pants) to dry when it's wet.

MS Fram is a great ship, and with around 200 passengers it is becoming a small ship for Hurtigruten (compared to Midnatsol or the new builds), and you want a smaller ship in Antarctica to give more time and experience to each passenger.

My second trip was Falklands/SG/Antarctica and I would really recommend that. South Georgia is something else and Falklands was an incredible discovery.

You can see my trip reports on my blog in signature. If you have specific questions I'll be happy to answer.

We were on Midnatsol (approx. 400 pax) in Antarctica et al and didn't think it lacked a thing.

• Like 2

I did Midnatsol to Antarctica and loved every second. I will be on Fram twice coming up...first to Greenland and second to Antarctica/S.Georgia/Falklands.  I've toured the Fram twice and have seen the cabins. They are about the same size as a standard cabin on Carnival or HAL.  

I had an inside cabin for the first time ever on Midnatsol and didn't miss a window. I truly was rarely in my room. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

A question re: amenities in the bathrooms...

Am assuming that the bathrooms are fairly utilitarian.  Will I need to bring a hair dryer?  What about shampoo/conditioner/body wash?

Also - what plug configuration is used in Norway - and on the boats?

Fran

• Like 1

Ships are quite different and answers might also depend on cabin type

3 hours ago, franski said:

Am assuming that the bathrooms are fairly utilitarian.  Will I need to bring a hair dryer?  What about shampoo/conditioner/body wash?

Different for ship /cabin class - If hairdryer not in cabin it will be available in the reception/information desk - I'm not an shampoo/conditioner/body wash expert, but I found what was provided sufficient.

3 hours ago, franski said:

what plug configuration is used in Norway - and on the boats?

Plugs in Norway and on ships is European Plug Type C or F - The Europlug type C will fit all sockets in Norway an ships

Edited by hallasm
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, franski said:

A question re: amenities in the bathrooms...

Also - what plug configuration is used in Norway - and on the boats?

Fran

Hi Fran as a woman with long hair i found the hair dryers on the wall on Nordnorge inadequate. I brought my own on Midnatsol and am glad i did because they had the same dryers. I plan on bringing my own on Fram as well. 

I love the Arctic Pure hand soap, body wash, shampoo and conditioner. I did bring a travel size heavy duty conditioner to use every few days since my hair is long. 

The plugs are typical 2 prong European plugs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2019 at 2:18 PM, hallasm said:

While my Norwegian Air flight from LAX was on-time, it was late leaving for my return trip. Due to the limited number of flights from LAX to Bergen, I chose to fly into Oslo, stay overnight there, then take the beautiful train ride from Oslo to Bergen and spent two nights there. Returning from my cruise, I also took the train back to Oslo, taking the spur from Myrdal to Flam and back, then onto Oslo. It made a long day, but it was wonderful. I stayed 3 more days in Oslo before flying back to LAX.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Splinter said:

While my Norwegian Air flight from LAX was on-time, it was late leaving for my return trip. Due to the limited number of flights from LAX to Bergen, I chose to fly into Oslo, stay overnight there, then take the beautiful train ride from Oslo to Bergen and spent two nights there. Returning from my cruise, I also took the train back to Oslo, taking the spur from Myrdal to Flam and back, then onto Oslo. It made a long day, but it was wonderful. I stayed 3 more days in Oslo before flying back to LAX.

We're going back next spring to just do the northbound as part of a bigger, non-cruise trip.  We're planning on flying into Oslo also and taking that train which everyone just raves about.  There's some GREAT food in Bergen - all over Scandinavia actually.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Count down is on!!  We leave for Bergen in less than 3 weeks!! 

Starting to look seriously at clothes...  How warm is the interior of the ship?  (We are sailing on the Kong Harald...)  I tend to like my environment on the cooler side, so don't want to get there to discover that I have packed too many warm clothes.

I have a coat that I think will be ok for the dry days (not expecting really cold weather the beginning of October) but need to find something that is water-resistant.  And thinking about taking my rain jacket although it isn't for winter weather - and just layering underneath.  

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Fran

5 hours ago, franski said:

Count down is on!!  We leave for Bergen in less than 3 weeks!! 

Starting to look seriously at clothes...  How warm is the interior of the ship?  (We are sailing on the Kong Harald...)  I tend to like my environment on the cooler side, so don't want to get there to discover that I have packed too many warm clothes.

I have a coat that I think will be ok for the dry days (not expecting really cold weather the beginning of October) but need to find something that is water-resistant.  And thinking about taking my rain jacket although it isn't for winter weather - and just layering underneath.  

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Fran

Hi Fran, the ships are very warm, too warm for me. I wore tshirts in Antarctica on the ship! 

The waterproof shell is key with good layers (wool) underneath. The wind is what you'll need most protection from when the ship is moving. I also found it very windy at Nordkapp

• Like 1

Inside ship is warm - outside is windy and cold and can be wet.

layers, windbreaker and water resistant. Also hat, gloves and warm footwear.

- be prepared on some very, very cold nights at deck in case of Norther Lights.

North of Tromsø it can be cold outside.

• Like 1

I was a little too warm inside with bulky sweaters and thermals. Better to wear turtlenecks that you can then layer over with a sweater for shore trips,  and I took my fleece lined raincoat with me to sit in the observation lounge so I could put that on easily to run outside and take photos.

On 6/24/2019 at 11:10 PM, hallasm said:

Norwegian does have a connection via London with layover of 8h:25m  - no direct flights LAX - BGO as well as too late arrival into BGO.

My answer is for that specific sail day in October 29

I believe the LAX-Bergen direct flights are in the late spring and summer only. Sorry.

6 hours ago, Splinter said:

I believe the LAX-Bergen direct flights are in the late spring and summer only.

I believe that there will be no direct flight from LAX to BGO in 2020 - Norwegian Air is reducing their network quite dramatically with a high focus on profit.