What is there to see in "Inside Passage"

zry900402

We are planning for our first Alaska cruise for next year. I saw many ships that include Inside Passage scenic sailing, and some ship itinerary that says may sail on the west side of Vancouver Island so no inside passage. I'm wondering what is there to see in inside passage and how important is it? Is there good chance of seeing wild life, maybe whales? Spectacular scenery that shouldn't be missed? Or does it just make a slightly more interesting sea day than plain open ocean, but not important enough to determine which ship to choose? Would appreciate feedback from anyone who has done it. 

We've only done one Alaska cruise and it was Inside Passage, but it was wonderful.  Totally different from a Caribbean sailing where you are in open water and then scoot in to the ports and back out.  With the Inside Passage, there is land on both sides, the ship goes very slow in order to not create a large wake that might ruin the shoreline.  It is very beautiful.  I don't recall seeing whales (other than on the Juneau excursion) but we did see a couple of bears after we had left Glacier Bay National Park.

The Inside Passage is the generic term for the waterways between the south end of Vancouver Island and, roughly, Skagway or Haines in Southeast Alaska.  It's called that because for much of the distance there are islands that separate the open Pacific from the mainland, so the water is calmer.  The ships are never out of sight of land on both sides, and in some places the land on either side of the ship is very close, so the scenery - forests, mountains, etc. - is ever-changing and quite intimate.  

It's not unusual to see whales from the cruise ships, somewhat less common to see animals on shore (they're small, move fast, and are fairly far away.)  But one shouldn't confuse cruise ships with whale watching vessels for obvious reasons.  

Sailings from/to Vancouver typically stay to the east of Vancouver Island in both directions, thus providing a longer time in the "Inside Passage."  Sailings from Seattle travel to the west of Vancouver Island on open ocean, offering poor or no scenery and rougher water.  Those ships enter the Inside Passage once they're past Vancouver Island, after which the routes through Southeast Alaska, and port calls, are similar.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback so far. Now that I read my post again, I think perhaps I didn’t make the question very clear. I’m specifically wondering about the difference between sailing on the east side and west side of vancouver island. I have read some post here before that someone was really upset that their ship sailed on the west side while they were expecting to sail on the east side of the Vancouver island. So I’m wondering what is there to see on the east side of Vancouver island, and if it’s worth paying extra for a ship that will for sure sail on the east side of the island. 

On the Inside Passage there is something to see on both sides of the ship.  To the west of V. Island you are out in the Pacific.  We left from Vancouver on a late afternoon in July.  As indicated by the previous poster much of the voyage was while we were sleeping and in the dark.

Have sailed the BC Coast and Alaska for over 35 years, so know it well.

Vancouver departure is spectacular and once clear of Lions Gate Bridge & then English Bay you will head up Strait of Georgia, which are about 10 miles wide. You favour the mainland side, but will see land on both sides. Speed is set on departure to arrive at Seymour Narrows at slack tide, or within 1 hour of slack water.

You may see some spectacular sunsets to the West over Vancouver Island. Couple of miles South of Campbell River, at Cape Mudge you enter the narrow channel. Couple miles North of Campbell River you transit through Seymour Narrows, which was where Ripple Rock was blasted in 1958. Max current is over 15 kts through Seymour, hence the reason cruise ships only transit at slack water. You will most likely have a queue of cruise ships N'bd & S'bd. Clearing Seymour, speed is set for arrival at first port.

You then transit Johnstone Strait, which is fairly narrow and has an abundance of wildlife, including whales. Unfortunately, this area N'bd is at night. By daylight (about 04:00) you are approaching Alert Bay. From there the channel is wider, but you still see land on both sides.

From Pine Island you head out to Queen Charlotte Strait and then up Hecate Strait to Dixon Entrance, which is the BC/Alaska Border. Might see land, at least mountains at the top of Hecate Strait.

Heading S'bd to Vancouver, you complete most of the narrow channel in daylight.

Did the Vancouver to Prince Rupert R/T voyage twice a week for many, many months and never tired of the scenery.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Have sailed the BC Coast and Alaska for over 35 years, so know it well.

Wow, thank you for such a detailed answer! This is exactly the information that I'm looking for! I think we are leaning towards going on a SB sailing now

On 10/31/2018 at 3:25 PM, nini said:

And it may be dark; depending on when the ship actually sails. Most likely it will be light though. The Northwest has a long twilight.

I’m sorry but I find this font and colour really hard to read. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Joeghartman said:

This is informative. I’m booking my first Alaskan cruise tonight for next August. 

Enjoy your cruise! 

We went on our Alaska Cruise in 2012 and still have fond memories of it! 

Planning for a revisit in the next few years..☺ 

We have cruised the inside passage twice (well 4 times if you count the return trip!!) and have booked to go again next year. I spent long hours out on deck and saw plenty of whales either at a distance or quite close to the ship. Also saw plenty of porpoises or dolphins (not sure which now I think back). We cruised the last ships that go in September and usually by then the Humpbacks are making their way south but I saw enough to keep me very happy. 

Just go to the most forward part of the ship that enables you to get a 180 degree view or more and then you get to scan ahead and both sides for the whales on the surface etc. Takes some commitment if its cold but its well worth it to me.

We sailed west of Vancouver Island when we left from SF for Alaska a few years ago in mid-May.  Our sunset was spectacular, too, and our water was very calm (flat, essentially).  Having sailed the Inside Passage multiple times, it was a nice change of scenery!  If this is your first Alaskan cruise, I'd recommend taking one going up the Inside Passage for the reasons mentioned in the prior posts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2018 at 11:34 AM, Gardyloo said:

The Inside Passage is the generic term for the waterways between the south end of Vancouver Island and, roughly, Skagway or Haines in Southeast Alaska.  It's called that because for much of the distance there are islands that separate the open Pacific from the mainland, so the water is calmer.  The ships are never out of sight of land on both sides, and in some places the land on either side of the ship is very close, so the scenery - forests, mountains, etc. - is ever-changing and quite intimate.  

It's not unusual to see whales from the cruise ships, somewhat less common to see animals on shore (they're small, move fast, and are fairly far away.)  But one shouldn't confuse cruise ships with whale watching vessels for obvious reasons.  

Sailings from/to Vancouver typically stay to the east of Vancouver Island in both directions, thus providing a longer time in the "Inside Passage."  Sailings from Seattle travel to the west of Vancouver Island on open ocean, offering poor or no scenery and rougher water.  Those ships enter the Inside Passage once they're past Vancouver Island, after which the routes through Southeast Alaska, and port calls, are similar.

So based on your input would you say either side of the ship is good for viewing on a southbound cruise from Whittier? 

Change of plans has us having to change from a July 6th sailing to sometime in August and port side cabins are almost nonexistent especially when needing 3.

Thanks!

Edited by GREGS1GIRL

14 hours ago, GREGS1GIRL said:

So based on your input would you say either side of the ship is good for viewing on a southbound cruise from Whittier? 

Change of plans has us having to change from a July 6th sailing to sometime in August and port side cabins are almost nonexistent especially when needing 3.

Thanks!

I don't think it really matters very much.  The mainland (higher mountains) will be off the port side on a southbound sailing, but there's still lots to see off the starboard side, and whenever the ships enter areas like Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay, they'll do 360s so that both sides get plenty of views.  

Hey, some twenty yrs ago, was on a ship goin through the inside passage, was walkin towards the front, when a whale breached, all I could do was sit there an watch, couldn't get the camera to go. It was amazing. Last yr, on the Radiance, a pod of whales kept circlein the ship, we were in port in Icy Strait, so you jest never know what you'll see.

Virginia