Vaccination requirements

OFAS

Unless you are visiting the interior of Brazil and then visiting a country or island that requires yellow fever vaccine, you need nothing.  This is not the proper board for this question.  I will ask the mods to move it, but you should also join the ROLL CALL for your cruise and see what your fellow CC members are doing/advising. Also visit the South America board under Ports of Call.   EM

Edited by Essiesmom

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Unless you are visiting the interior of Brazil and then visiting a country or island that requires yellow fever vaccine, you need nothing.  This is not the proper board for this question.  I will ask the mods to move it, but you should also join the ROLL CALL for your cruise and see what your fellow CC members are doing/advising. Also visit the South America board under Ports of Call.   EM

I will add that one of the reasons for asking fellow travellers is that very few vaccinations are required, but quite a number can be recommended for your itinerary.

See if there is a travel medicine clinic in your area and visit them.  They specialize in travel vaccinations.

Also, check the CDC pages for the countries on your itinerary.

Some vaccinations are recommended for any travel (and even if you don't travel).  Update your tetanus vaccination if it has been longer than 10 years (some recommend every 5 years for travelers).  Hepatitis A and B are highly recommended.

Depending on your itinerary, a Yellow Fever certificate may be required. This will depend on the ports you visit (note the gnome's comment about the interior of Brazil - it depends on the region, not always an entire country) and the regulations of countries you visit in the (usually) 10 days after you leave a high risk region. The Amazon is a high risk region. The requirement isn't to protect you, it's to protect the general population in case you're an unwitting carrier - you won't know that you're carrying during the 10-day incubation period for YF.

I mentioned Yellow Fever "Certificate". Because a YF jab can have side effects, certain folk are exempt from the requirement, for instance those aged over 60 (or is it 65?). But you do need, from a doctor, a certificate that you have had the jab or a certificate that you are exempt.

A YF jab used to be good for 10 years, but a couple or three years ago it was deemed that a YF jab is good for life - that includes those who have an "expired" certificate.

I'm not aware of any other mandatory vaccinations for South America, but your doctor will advise on any inoculations that would be beneficial - for instance Hep A and B, anti-tetanus.

We don't know your medical histories, nor are we experts in the field.

So you should take advice from your doctor, not from the barrack-room physicians on this forum.

Your doctor can also advise on other precautions, such as malaria tabs, clothing etc.

Go armed with your itinerary, including any overnites ashore or in port and any planned excursions some distance from the port.

JB :classic_smile:

(barrack-room physician, lawyer, politician, sports coach & investment consultant :classic_biggrin:)

4 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Depending on your itinerary, a Yellow Fever certificate may be required. This will depend on the ports you visit (note the gnome's comment about the interior of Brazil - it depends on the region, not always an entire country) and the regulations of countries you visit in the (usually) 10 days after you leave a high risk region. The Amazon is a high risk region. The requirement isn't to protect you, it's to protect the general population in case you're an unwitting carrier - you won't know that you're carrying during the 10-day incubation period for YF.

I mentioned Yellow Fever "Certificate". Because a YF jab can have side effects, certain folk are exempt from the requirement, for instance those aged over 60 (or is it 65?). But you do need, from a doctor, a certificate that you have had the jab or a certificate that you are exempt.

A YF jab used to be good for 10 years, but a couple or three years ago it was deemed that a YF jab is good for life - that includes those who have an "expired" certificate.

I'm not aware of any other mandatory vaccinations for South America, but your doctor will advise on any inoculations that would be beneficial - for instance Hep A and B, anti-tetanus.

We don't know your medical histories, nor are we experts in the field.

So you should take advice from your doctor, not from the barrack-room physicians on this forum.

Your doctor can also advise on other precautions, such as malaria tabs, clothing etc.

Go armed with your itinerary, including any overnites ashore or in port and any planned excursions some distance from the port.

(barrack-room physician, lawyer, politician, sports coach & investment consultant :classic_biggrin:)

Excellent advice and explanation JB.  Yellow Fever is a much discussed and argued topic in travel forums. 

My one alteration would be to invest in a visit to an experienced travel physician who knows the vaccines, side effects, and countries.  It is one thing to look it up on a website, another to have personalized advice for the patient and the travel.

52 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

My one alteration would be to invest in a visit to an experienced travel physician who knows the vaccines, side effects, and countries. 

Agreed.

I don't know the health arrangements in the US,  but most doctors' surgeries in the UK have a dedicated travel nurse - personal knowledge of you & your medical history, and a travel expert, in one place.

3 minutes ago, John Bull said:

Agreed.

I don't know the health arrangements in the US,  but most doctors' surgeries in the UK have a dedicated travel nurse - personal knowledge of you & your medical history, and a travel expert, in one place.

I'm from Canada, but still not the same as UK....or US, but closer.  Here, travel clinics are separate from family practice unless it is a group practice that contracts in other resources like physio or travel nurse.  Our clinics also charge for the consultations as well as the vaccines, so many don't work that into their travel budget - though in my estimation, it is money well spent.

Unfortunately, there is currently a North American vaccine shortage for both YF and rabies, so one needs to plan ahead in order to try and obtain some.

10 hours ago, SRF said:

See if there is a travel medicine clinic in your area and visit them.  They specialize in travel vaccinations.

Also, check the CDC pages for the countries on your itinerary.

Some vaccinations are recommended for any travel (and even if you don't travel).  Update your tetanus vaccination if it has been longer than 10 years (some recommend every 5 years for travelers).  Hepatitis A and B are highly recommended.

+1  The CDC is very useful for identifying yellow fever vaccine requirements and current status.  

I would also recommend strongly that your check your cruise line's stance.  They probably say it is the passenger's responsibility to have all required vaccines, but best check just in case.  

We were in SA earlier this year.  There was an outbreak that resulted in recommended (not required) YF vaccine in Rio  de Janeiro and other areas along the coast.  I actually spoke with someone from the CDC and based on that discussion decided not to get the vaccine.  

Off topic and you probably already know this, but also take care in getting required visas.  When we went getting one for Brazil was a pain in the neck.  I hear they have since relaxed a little and made them available on line.   Anyway, on our cruise they looked for a Brazil visa along with your passport before you even get to check-in.  No visa, no boarding.  

Where we live in southwestern PA we do have medical clinics that deal with all kinds of shots and questions about various vaccinations that are recommended.

Years ago when we first started to travel -- land vacations -- our family doctor had us get the Hep A and Hep B and the yellow fever shot.  For certain areas that we visited via land vacations and cruises, he made certain that we had the Malaria pills.

Since DH has had a stroke, heart attack and now has Parkinson's he can no longer get another yellow fever shot.

We also have gotten the new Prevnar 13 pneumonia shot and we do keep up with our flu shots every year.

2 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Since DH has had a stroke, heart attack and now has Parkinson's he can no longer get another yellow fever shot.

If you can find, or get a copy of, his old YF cert it'll do the job - even if it has passed any quoted expiry date.

If not, I have little doubt he'll be granted exemption by his doctor - but it does need that certificate of exemption

Do note post #2 above. Brazil does not require you to have a Yellow Fever vaccination. However, you may want one for two reasons. First, if your own local health advisor tells you it is important for you personally given your own health status, then do it. Second, many countries, in Africa in particular, will require that you have had the vaccines if your passport shows that you have recently (2-3 weeks) been in a WHO designated high risk area.

Stan

13 hours ago, mef_57 said:

Unfortunately, there is currently a North American vaccine shortage for both YF and rabies, so one needs to plan ahead in order to try and obtain some.

When I was looking at this for our Feb 2018 trip, I recall reading that the temporarily approved substitute for the YF vaccine was pretty dangerous for us older folks.  Something like unless you are certain you are going to be exposed, don't use the substitute vaccine.   

Of course, we are all relating what we think, have been told, have experienced, or have read.  I sincerely hope anyone would consult with proper experts besides us here on CC.  :classic_mellow: