TV sports broadcasts on Royal Caribbean vs Carnival

NavarreCruiser

I am currently sailing again on a Royal Caribbean mega-ship, the Allure of the Seas.  It is a very nice ship if you like large vessels.  I also sail Carnival often and like many other sports fans, I am disappointed with the current TV sports broadcasts available in their staterooms.  Essentially there are none.  Yesterday in my stateroom I could have watched 4 different NFL games and game 5 of the world series.  They were on 2 different ESPN international broadcasts but some were just the major network feeds.  I wish Carnival could do this also.

Do you think that's just Allure or all RCCL ships? We just got off CCL Horizon and DH was very frustrated with the extremely limited football and baseball games being shown (not a single sport channel on cabin TV and the lounges, including the Sport's Bar, only played 1 stinky channel with football and no MLB playoffs at all). We cruise RCCL's Grandeur on January 3 and it has DH worried. Hoping they have better channels.

5 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

We were able to watch college football, NFL football and World Series games in the Red Frog Pub on the Breeze last week but the tv selection in the cabin stunk.

Oct 6-14 Horizon cruise didn't show MLB play offs at all and had one channel with the crappy college football and NFL games. Went out of Miami the day U of Miami played FL State...did they show that...nope! Another channel had Cricket on. 

Edited by laumicmah

1 hour ago, laumicmah said:

Do you think that's just Allure or all RCCL ships? We just got off CCL Horizon and DH was very frustrated with the extremely limited football and baseball games being shown (not a single sport channel on cabin TV and the lounges, including the Sport's Bar, only played 1 stinky channel with football and no MLB playoffs at all). We cruise RCCL's Grandeur on January 3 and it has DH worried. Hoping they have better channels.

I have not sailed on the Grandeur for a number of years, so I don't know.  However, over the next few days, I will ask my concierge if she knows or who else might know.  I will post again if I find out.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, laumicmah said:

I spoke with the Diamond Concierge last evening and she told me that all Royal Caribbean ships fleetwide should have the same TV selections.  So you should get a decent sports selection on the Grandeur in January.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NavarreCruiser said:

I spoke with the Diamond Concierge last evening and she told me that all Royal Caribbean ships fleetwide should have the same TV selections.  So you should get a decent sports selection on the Grandeur in January.

Hi

There you go. There's something for everybody out there.

If what you require is sports on TV to make your cruise memorable, there is a product out there for you. It is no longer necessary to feel deprived.

Isn't it great that with a wonderful website like Cruise Critic every cruiser can be directed to a cruise line that actually fits their needs, so that they don't feel the need to complain so much. :classic_smile: 

5 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

There you go. There's something for everybody out there.

If what you require is sports on TV to make your cruise memorable, there is a product out there for you. It is no longer necessary to feel deprived.

Isn't it great that with a wonderful website like Cruise Critic every cruiser can be directed to a cruise line that actually fits their needs, so that they don't feel the need to complain so much. :classic_smile: 

You see, another reason to go to other cruise lines.  Carnival's main attraction is the party, and the last thing they want is to keep you in your stateroom, where money will not be generated. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Havingfun2010 said:

You see, another reason to go to other cruise lines.  Carnival's main attraction is the party, and the last thing they want is to keep you in your stateroom, where money will not be generated. 

Hi

Absolutely. Don't think these type of things aren't planned. 

You are the customer. Talk with your money. Complaining here just doesn't do it. Find something that suits your needs. It is out there. There are many cruise lines, you might find one you like. If you don't...well...then you should consider camping. :classic_smile:

hope this helps

Well, we like to cruise. And DH likes his football. So if I am going to get him on a ship during football season, it's best for me if they show his games (doesn't have to be in the cabin...I mean some ships even have what they call a Sport's Bar). We have done 9 CCL cruises, 1 DCL (our very 1st cruise) and have our 2nd on RCCL in January (during play offs). We have been CCL fans but starting to see that, yes, there are other 'products' out there that may fit a tad better. But I see no problem with mentioning CCL's lack of decent TV channels on threads discussing such...it may be helpful to the newbie cruiser (who might also like to see their games while on a cruise...by the way, there were tons of folks in the 'Sport's Bar' on the Horizon complaining that their game wasn't being shown so there is a considerable number of pax who have the same desire to watch sports on a cruise).

@NavarreCruiser thank you for checking for me. We are very excited for our upcoming cruise on the Grandeur. Hope you have a great rest of your cruise!

Edited by laumicmah

Great to know about Royal showing alot of games even in your room.  My DH loves his football and is sailing for the first time on Royal, he will be a happy cruiser.  We have sailed Carnival during playoffs and the games were shown but the last cruise the TV cutbacks were noticed.  I don't sit in my room to watch TV on a cruisebut when I am getting dressed or going to sleep it is usually on.  

To those that appreciated this info. you are welcome.  I agree that spending a few hours watching a game, you enjoy, in your cabin does not affect the other 7 days on the cruise.  On Sunday I went to the stateroom in the earllier evening to watch the Saints at Minnesota (the Saints are my local broadcast team in Northwest Florida) and was happy to be able to do that.  I am looking out at Saint Martin this morning with no plans to watch sports until the weekend.

Edited by NavarreCruiser
  • Like 2