explorer of seas questions

i am thinking of booking EoS for 12/19 9 night Southern Carib.  I was able to book the 2 room grand suite, #9394, for $6932 for 3 adults....

for those with more experience is that a good price?

anyone have current pic's/vid of the cabin...I'm not sure if the 2nd bedroom has a tv?

I think EoS is going into dry dock on jan 2020....will the ship be in bad shape.....and should we go for a newer ship?

how is the balcony , it says there are "obstructions"

don't see any "live reports" from explorer on CC?

thanks  

With regard to the obstructed view, every Voyager and Freedom class aft facing stateroom has some ship superstructure in the view.  However, it is less apparent as you go higher in deck.  Just know that you cannot look straight down into the water.

20 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

With regard to the obstructed view, every Voyager and Freedom class aft facing stateroom has some ship superstructure in the view.  However, it is less apparent as you go higher in deck.  Just know that you cannot look straight down into the water.

thank you, viewing the wake is fine for us as we look straight out, .....any responses to my other questions?

Edited by sisocialworker

Although this is from 2014.

I think the price sounds good for 9 nights in a grand suite especially over Christmas.  But I’m not really very experienced.

Do you look out for spots of rust and get annoyed by them?  If not then you will probably find the ship is well maintained, if so go for something newer but I suspect the price will be higher.

6 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

What do you mean "make it"?  :classic_unsure:

by "make it"...an while everything is subjective...I mean showing "excessive" wear and tear in public spaces and guest rooms..esp. the guest room I am considering booking...as far as it relates to the rate of the cabin.....which is why I'm hoping to see some current reviews..live or not with pictures

Edited by sisocialworker

5 minutes ago, sisocialworker said:

by "make it"...an while everything is subjective...I mean showing "excessive" wear and tear in public spaces and guest rooms..esp. the guest room I am considering booking...as far as it relates to the rate of the cabin.....which is why I'm hoping to see some current reviews..live or not with pictures

I don't see how anyone on these boards can try and guess how the ship will fare over the next 12 months...that being said she is a great ship and my wife and I would not have an issue on sailing on her again prior to the next dry dock. Sorry I don't have pictures to show...

16 minutes ago, sisocialworker said:

Royal takes excellent care of their ships, I would not hesitate to sail on any of them.

Here is a quote from the Allure after Harmony thread:

Is she starting to show her age?  We sailed Explorer this summer, and she definitely was!

There is not massive choice in December 19 if you want 9 nights.  You could look at the newer cabins on deck 12 at the front if you want less wear and tear in the cabin itself but you would have more space in your 2 bedroom suite.

There is a good review of a suite like this on a recent review of Explorer:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=636463

Edited by Nettee

3 hours ago, Nettee said:

Here is a quote from the Allure after Harmony thread:

Is she starting to show her age?  We sailed Explorer this summer, and she definitely was!

There is not massive choice in December 19 if you want 9 nights.  You could look at the newer cabins on deck 12 at the front if you want less wear and tear in the cabin itself but you would have more space in your 2 bedroom suite.

There is a good review of a suite like this on a recent review of Explorer:

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=636463

thank you....lots to consider

We stayed in this 2 bedroom grand suite on a recent Pacific Coastal cruise (Sept.28th to Oct.5th, 2018).  We had 4 adults and 1 baby and enjoyed the extra space.  

The second bedroom does not have a TV.

Feel free to ask any questions.

9394 balcony 1.png

9394 balcony 2.png

9394 balcony 3.png

9394 bathroom.png

9394 bedroom 1.png

9394 bedroom 2.png

9394 living 1.png

9394 living 2.png

• Like 1

thank for sharing..great pics of the room.....the covering on the balcony loungers look weird-crinkly.....lots of space to stretch out for sure, both in and out of the room; love the view of the wake.......how was the general space of the ship?  do you think it will be too old i.e. in real need of the dry dock in 1/2020; as I am sailing in 12/19?

23 minutes ago, sisocialworker said:

thank for sharing..great pics of the room.....the covering on the balcony loungers look weird-crinkly.....lots of space to stretch out for sure, both in and out of the room; love the view of the wake.......how was the general space of the ship?  do you think it will be too old i.e. in real need of the dry dock in 1/2020; as I am sailing in 12/19?

Dry Dock's don't usually replace all items or really change anything. It's just chance for them to get it out of the water to do Marine Side maintenance.. Replacing carpet, painting and such is done year round as needed. Ships are at sea exposed to salt 24/7 all year round, you are always going see some rust somewhere. Anyway Explorer, I been sailing on her 19yrs now, have cruise on her next yr and is in good shape.. As to the Balcony furniture this is deluxe style, not that it matter's everyone puts towels on them before laying out...

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Dry Dock's don't usually replace all items or really change anything. It's just chance for them to get it out of the water to do Marine Side maintenance.. Replacing carpet, painting and such is done year round as needed... As to the Balcony furniture this is deluxe style, not that it matter's everyone puts towels on them before laying out...

thanks for the info....I think we're going to book it, YOLO

I was on Explorer in August and she was beautiful.  A little missing paint or a small bump doesn’t affect my cruises.  Normal wear and tear doesn’t take away from the great activities and the wonderful views.  Not sure why it bothers so many people.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, vjldhk said:

We stayed in this 2 bedroom grand suite on a recent Pacific Coastal cruise (Sept.28th to Oct.5th, 2018).  We had 4 adults and 1 baby and enjoyed the extra space.  

The second bedroom does not have a TV.

Feel free to ask any questions.

9394 balcony 1.png

9394 balcony 2.png

9394 balcony 3.png

9394 bathroom.png

9394 bedroom 1.png

9394 bedroom 2.png

9394 living 1.png

9394 living 2.png

9 night Southern Carib.  I was able to book the 2 room grand suite, #9394, for $6932 for 3 adults....do you think this a good price?