New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

It goes without saying that folks have every right to determine how they want to spend their own money.

There has been a good deal of useful information in this thread to help people determine if this new program is of value to them on their cruise bookings.

The Key is primarily a convenience fee for accelerated boarding and disembarking that includes a few trinkets of benefits people may or may not desire anyway. For those with higher Crown & Anchor status, the program would seem to have limited value due to redundancy. To people new to Royal and/or traveling on larger ships, there may be some attraction.  It's not right or wrong for everyone.

What is intriguing is how some family / friend groups have reporting paying total costs exceeding what others actually pay for a cabin on a cruise. This underscores the term "value", and how different people have different views on what that actually means to them. 

In our case,  adding $560+ to the cost for a family of 4 on a 7-day cruise for what The Key provides would be seen as a total waste of money - yet - we can respect for another family of 4 it might have "value" for the conveniences/features offered.

It will be interesting to see how the program progresses over time past this first season...especially once the novelty has worn off...and more people report back on their experiences.  Royal will likely also carefully monitor if people repeat the service.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, irzero said:

This reads like sour grapes. Stamp your feet etc..

There are so many diamond level cruisers now that the diamond line would be bigger than the first time cruiser line. 

They can sell a package of extra perks for people who want to pay for them. Loyalty perks are free so why would they take priority over people who pay for a service/perk

Yes.... definitely soured me.   But, I didn't stamp my feet..... maybe next time 🙂   

And guess what..... I did pay for my perks.... I've been cruising with Royal since the 90's. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

It goes without saying that folks have every right to determine how they want to spend their own money.

There has been a good deal of useful information in this thread to help people determine if this new program is of value to them on their cruise bookings.

The Key is primarily a convenience fee for accelerated boarding and disembarking that includes a few trinkets of benefits people may or may not desire anyway. For those with higher Crown & Anchor status, the program would seem to have limited value due to redundancy. To people new to Royal and/or traveling on larger ships, there may be some attraction.  It's not right or wrong for everyone.

What is intriguing is how some family / friend groups have reporting paying total costs exceeding what others actually pay for a cabin on a cruise. This underscores the term "value", and how different people have different views on what that actually means to them. 

In our case,  adding $560+ to the cost for a family of 4 on a 7-day cruise for what The Key provides would be seen as a total waste of money - yet - we can respect for another family of 4 it might have "value" for the conveniences/features offered.

It will be interesting to see how the program progresses over time past this first season...especially once the novelty has worn off...and more people report back on their experiences.  Royal will likely also carefully monitor if people repeat the service.

I agree there is different value for each person.  For us, the deluxe drink package is a waste of money and costs way more than the key would for our group of 6. We would rather pay by drink. Now, my coffee and sparkling water, that is another story.  But still trying to determine if my coffee and Perrier addiction and my couple of glasses of wine at dinner will be worthwhile.

As for the $839 for the key, when you break it down, we are only paying  $414.38  to get our son off the ship as quickly as possible to meet our transportation to the airport.  Far less than any cabin would have been.

Between the cabins, we would have purchased 7 devices (don't ask, Hubby needs to be connected for work) so one 4 device package and one 3 device package for 7 days is $310.66 ( ($22.39x7)+($21.99x7))  Add in the Chops lunch for 6 people for 114.54 ($19.09x6) the $414.38 left over is peanuts compared to the extra one way ticket back home, not including the already purchased ticket we are eating.  Nope, couldn't just pay the change fee since the airline did not have a flight back home in time, needed to go with a totally different airline and yes we have 3rd party "premium" insurance and will research what is covered.  But for now, the Key seems the best route and the rest of us will just check into the Hilton airport hotel and carry on with our scheduled tour for that day.  It is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that he has a better chance to make that morning flight.  So yes, the value in the key is very individual to each person/family. Nobody knows why another family is making their decision to purchase or not purchase and should only judge the program for their own needs.  For us personally ,we are ever so glad that Royal is offering this perk. 

• Like 2

Instant update on The Key on Vision in Galveston. 

Arriving at port at 10:30 very few passengers through security and check in very fast. Key access didn’t get us anywhere faster due to few people. 

Up to waiting area. I asked and was told we would board after Pinnacle and Suites but announcement said differently. As we are Diamonds we were ready to go whichever was called first. And they did call Pinnacle, Suite,Diamond + and Diamond, so we went. Key fail!

Boarded and took carryon to theatre which just took a minute. Then went to Chops and it was 11:10 and they said they would open at 11:30. We waited in the area and were the first to be seated about 11:25. 

There was never a line for seating. We loved the calm quiet atmosphere and the food was fantastic. 

Rooms ready at 1:00 and it’s now 1:30 and carry ons are here no other luggage if the key is supposed to help in that which I don’t read anywhere. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2019 at 7:17 PM, FloridaMac said:

Just did The Key on Independence of the Seas 5 day Western Carib.  Saved a lot of time embarking and disembarking - really got the VIP treatment.  Chops lunch was nice.  Internet package was great, each of us had our own login and we could FB Message and voice call each other using FB Message.  I also had a Skype phone number and we called to/from the States.  We will absolutely do this again and again until they raise the price too high 😉

THANK YOU @FloridaMac I appreciate you sharing this information and helpful tips on communication while on the ship.

I'm also grateful to the seasoned cruisers for letting new cruisers know what the perks may or may not be; however, let it go after you have said your peace. If someone decides to "waste" their own money on something you detest, so what?! Sheesh, having to sort through 80+ pages from people's back and forth on whether they THINK someone should or should not buy the Key is ridiculous. I came here for the reviews, not the nonsense. Have possibly found less than 15 reviews in this whole thread. 

• Like 4

I got the Key (at $19.99) for an upcoming cruise but there are only two of us, it's a three night cruise and we were planning on getting internet anyway.  It was an extra $29 and some change per person for us to change the drink package with internet to the drink package and Key.  I figure the meal and priority embarkation and debarkation make it worth the extra money.  I'm not sure if I would do it on a longer cruise with a larger group.  It remains to be seen whether it is worth it.

2 hours ago, youwash said:

Instant update on The Key on Vision in Galveston. 

Arriving at port at 10:30 very few passengers through security and check in very fast. Key access didn’t get us anywhere faster due to few people. 

Up to waiting area. I asked and was told we would board after Pinnacle and Suites but announcement said differently. As we are Diamonds we were ready to go whichever was called first. And they did call Pinnacle, Suite,Diamond + and Diamond, so we went. Key fail!

Boarded and took carryon to theatre which just took a minute. Then went to Chops and it was 11:10 and they said they would open at 11:30. We waited in the area and were the first to be seated about 11:25. 

There was never a line for seating. We loved the calm quiet atmosphere and the food was fantastic. 

Rooms ready at 1:00 and it’s now 1:30 and carry ons are here no other luggage if the key is supposed to help in that which I don’t read anywhere. 

7 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

Presently the Key does not have any benefit of getting your checked baggage in your room, just the carry ons that you left in the theater when you boarded.

That part doesn't bother me at all esp because we will have carry on bags with us that will have most of what we need for change of clothes for dinner, etc.  I guess it would make a difference if we only had the checked on bag alone, but since not flying and driving to the terminal I'm taking more than I normally would. lol  That being said, we have paid for FTTF on Carnival and waited for our luggage till 8 pm, so that program has its issues as well.  I'm looking forward to using the Key Program in two weeks and will leave a review once we return or maybe even while I'm still on the ship.  Going on the Anthem of the Seas.  I haven't seen any reviews yet on the Key on that ship unless I missed them.  I don't relish going thru 80 pages. lol

• Like 2

I just saw a post on another page, with someone at Coco Cay showing a great spot on the beach with first come, first served free umbrellas. I would be very interested in getting a spot like that for our day at Coco Cay! Now that the pier has opened, has anyone experienced if the priority debarkation at ports helps at Coco Cay, if you want to get a prime location (ie free umbrella!). Or is there no real advantage unless it’s a tender? 

1757C4BB-936D-46CE-9879-CDB9441694BB.jpeg

1 minute ago, MissLittle1959 said:

That part doesn't bother me at all esp because we will have carry on bags with us that will have most of what we need for change of clothes for dinner, etc.  I guess it would make a difference if we only had the checked on bag alone, but since not flying and driving to the terminal I'm taking more than I normally would. lol  That being said, we have paid for FTTF on Carnival and waited for our luggage till 8 pm, so that program has its issues as well.  I'm looking forward to using the Key Program in two weeks and will leave a review once we return or maybe even while I'm still on the ship.  Going on the Anthem of the Seas.  I haven't seen any reviews yet on the Key on that ship unless I missed them.  I don't relish going thru 80 pages. lol

I wish they would start a new thread entitled "The Key: Reviews Only" so that we would not have to sift through all the nay sayers who have not used the benefit themselves, but "just know" that is a waste of money and that RCI is ripping us all off. I really appreciate the reviews from people who have used the Key and have given honest reviews, both pro and con, of what works and what doesn't.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, blueridgemama said:

I wish they would start a new thread entitled "The Key: Reviews Only" so that we would not have to sift through all the nay sayers who have not used the benefit themselves, but "just know" that is a waste of money and that RCI is ripping us all off. I really appreciate the reviews from people who have used the Key and have given honest reviews, both pro and con, of what works and what doesn't.

Maybe I will start the  new thread. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MissLittle1959 said:

I'm looking forward to using the Key Program in two weeks and will leave a review once we return or maybe even while I'm still on the ship.  Going on the Anthem of the Seas.  I haven't seen any reviews yet on the Key on that ship unless I missed them.  I don't relish going thru 80 pages. lol

I will look forward to your Anthem/Key review and would second the suggestions to start a whole new thread just for reviews! Though I have slogged through all 80pp, what a pain for anyone just starting their research and just wanting to know the current benefits/logistics on various ships (without the distracting judgment posts). Please, dear hosts, consider permitting a separate Reviews Only thread.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, seanjulz said:

I have looked through the thread and cant find any reviews on the key on quantum class has anyone done a cruise and seen how many flowriding rockwall sessions etc?

Some Anthem reviews (not in this thread) mentioned that. BTW, whatever info you get may change in future sailings. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

Amen!!!!  Just want reviews.  Not someone who doesn't know me or hasn't used the key telling me what's best for me.  I'm adult and I work for my money so give me your educated information (you used the key) and let me decide.   😜😜

• Like 6