New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

We purchased The Key for our April cruise on Symphony.  

My DD has MS and will have a wheelchair we rented waiting in the cabin for her use.

Question:  

-On departure, will they have wheelchair assistance from the dining room after breakfast?  We are in no hurry to get off ship as we are heading to hotel.

-For the shows, are there handicap seating near The Key seats?

Thanks

On December 24, 2018 at 3:07 PM, kurukthemal said:

We are on Mariner for four days in February. There will be three teenagers and was already planning to get Voom which is $16. So, I went for the Key which is $3 more and perhaps worth the extras. We will see. Happy sailing!

Hi @kurukthemal I was wondering if you could let me know how many key times there were and for what activities? And if you remember the times, I'd appreciate that. I'm booked on MOS in May and wanted to get a little bit more information before pulling the trigger.

16 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

I am most definitely not "worked up" I appreciate it when people do a review on this thread and have actually used the program and give their opinions either pro or con. I do not appreciate it when I am being told and scolded that I am being scammed and wasting my money.

No one is scolding you, and you absolutely are getting worked up.  Some of us are trying to help and are not card carrying Royal Cheerleaders; we call it as we see it, not as Royal's marketing department would like you to believe.  

It;s a whole lot of nothing.  Spend the money elsewhere and get a much better bang for your buck. 

• Like 1

We eventually didn't get it as I was off on my math and it was too much. That being said, we went during winter school break a theoretically crowded time. We never had any issue getting seats for any show, usually there 30 minutes prior. Also the "key" show seating area was consistently empty. I wouldn't get it unless they increased the offerings. Good luck!

On 3/21/2019 at 7:51 AM, blueridgemama said:

I honestly don't need you to help me not get ripped off. I am a big girl and can make my own decision if I think something is worthwhile to me. I have researched the pros and cons of this program and have made an informed decision that I will try it and see how it works for me. Have you personally used the Key benefits? If you have not, then your opinion that it is a waste of money is not helpful to me. I appreciate and thank all the reviewers on this thread of those who have used the Key and have made note of the pros and cons of this program. I am going into it with my eyes wide open. If it does not deliver on its promises to make my cruise experience better then I will not purchase it again.

Alright fine, better your money than mine.  Looking forward to your review of the benefits.  I hope you find them valuable or at least give us your constructive input as to what worked or did not.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tinkr2 said:

I have seen this thread equally balanced between very experienced cruisers and newer ones. I do not think anyone on here is confused and being bamboozled into purchasing. So I agree, people telling me its a waste of my money is ludicrous . After 37 cruises , I think I can determine what is of value to me. Now the program seems to be changing, I may or may not value it in the future. I am trying it on May in Harmony. If I enjoy the perk, then I will keep it for Symphony in November. If not, well who cares. I certainly will not begrudge the money spent.

What has happened to the diamond embarkation line? Is it gone? It seems like everyones boarding is so quick in the newer terminals that it does not matter. But it was still very much there in November.

Reports are that the screening line went away about a month or two before the Key was introduced but they still have a check-in line. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2641753-is-there-still-a-diamond-up-line-for-arrival-que/?tab=comments#comment-56949279

Edited by Ralphinsc

Used The Key on the Enchantment. 

Getting on/off the boat was great. Internet was useful, especially due to a rainy sea day. 

Chops lunch was nice, but maybe a little too fancy for families with kids. 

Got a fruit basket. 

Showed up 10 minutes before start time and got great seats for the one show we caught. 

In all, I’m not sure I’d do it again, though the embarkation/debarkation was really nice compared to my last Disney cruise. Showed up at 7:10 and they had us walking off the boat by 7:15. At this point, since I paid for it long ago, there’s no regret. 

After reading page upon page of this thread I have a suggestion that RCI should make either in the cruise compass or by a simple flyer left in the cabins to avoid conflict.

They should explain what the key is and then announce that there will be certain times (and list them) that the flow rider, rock wall and zip line (where applicable) will not be available to all cruisers due to "the Key" members utilizing their benefit. 

or

If on their sailing there is a special line for more frequent usage of the flow rider (for example) these guest are not cutting in line but enjoying their perk.

And it can also mention how they will be attaining their luggage, or walking to customs as they disembark by passing the line.

Those people who paid for this service should not be intimidated for using their perk.

Plain and simple.

Thank You

But realizing it is not a perfect world and I do not live in a bubble, this will never happen.

Also, I will not be using this benefit, because we have always sailed in suites, and it does not effect us as to what we enjoy and use (It may affect others, but I am only speaking for myself).  I just remember the times early in our career of sailing when we had "THE GOLD CARD" for suites and got snide comments (so I can see how some may try to intimidate the key people).   I'm over it.  Now we get purple cards 🙂

Safe travels.

• Like 1

For our 4-night Navigator of the Seas there will be 7 of us in 3 cabins and from my calculations just for the VOOM SURF + STREAM Voyage Packages for 4 and 3 the total comes out to $719.72. The price for the Key for 7 of us @ $19.99 it totals $559.72 thats a savings of $160 just for the internet, not includes the lunch and other perks.

24 minutes ago, ken_nyc said:

For our 4-night Navigator of the Seas there will be 7 of us in 3 cabins and from my calculations just for the VOOM SURF + STREAM Voyage Packages for 4 and 3 the total comes out to $719.72. The price for the Key for 7 of us @ $19.99 it totals $559.72 thats a savings of $160 just for the internet, not includes the lunch and other perks.

I think something got lost in translation.... 

In my Cruise Planner for Explorer later this year, a 4-device is $33.99 a day and a 3-device is $29.99 a day.  

$33.99 x 4 nights = $135.96
$29.99 x 4 nights = $119.96

$135.96 + $119.96 = $255.92

No clue how you added those together to get $719.72?????

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I think something got lost in translation.... 

In my Cruise Planner for Explorer later this year, a 4-device is $33.99 a day and a 3-device is $29.99 a day.  

$33.99 x 4 nights = $135.96
$29.99 x 4 nights = $119.96

$135.96 + $119.96 = $255.92

No clue how you added those together to get $719.72?????

Please see these attached, one is for 4-device and the other is for the 3-device for OUR cruise, I do not think anything is lost in the translation, see below:

For the 3-device it's $23.99 per person per day:
$23.99 x 3 devices x 4 nights = $287.88

For the 4-device it's $26.99 per person per day:
$26.99 x 4 devices x 4 nights = $431.84

$287.88 + $431.84 = $719.72

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 3.58.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 3.58.21 PM.png

2 minutes ago, ken_nyc said:

Please see these attached, one is for 4-device and the other is for the 3-device for OUR cruise, I do not think anything is lost in the translation, see below:

For the 3-device it's $23.99 per person per day:
$23.99 x 3 devices x 4 nights = $287.88

For the 4-device it's $26.99 per person per day:
$26.99 x 4 devices x 4 nights = $431.84

$287.88 + $431.84 = $719.72

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 3.58.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-03-24 at 3.58.21 PM.png

One person gets a 3-device plan and shares with two other people.

One person gets a 4-device plan and shares with three other people.

Unless each person is going to be using 3-4 devices per person all at the same time????

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brillohead said:

One person gets a 3-device plan and shares with two other people.

One person gets a 4-device plan and shares with three other people.

Unless each person is going to be using 3-4 devices per person all at the same time????

Brillohead I stand corrected, thank you for letting me know!

• Like 1

Just did The Key on Independence of the Seas 5 day Western Carib.  Saved a lot of time embarking and disembarking - really got the VIP treatment.  Chops lunch was nice.  Internet package was great, each of us had our own login and we could FB Message and voice call each other using FB Message.  I also had a Skype phone number and we called to/from the States.  We will absolutely do this again and again until they raise the price too high ;-) 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ken_nyc said:

😨😨😨😱

Unless you would have gotten the discounted internet packages...as far as other "perks"...there's plenty of discussion and debate as to the value of those "perks". Worst case...you broke about even.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

3 hours ago, ken_nyc said:

Don't know if the Key is worth it.

Only if the embark/disembark, lunch at chops and reserved seating/times is something you'd use.  We found it worth it just for embark/disembark and the internet but I'll consider port and ship and length of cruise the next time I sail and it's a lot less likely if it's priced higher than the $19.99 per person/per day it was when we did it on Indy.

38 minutes ago, FloridaMac said:

Just did The Key on Independence of the Seas 5 day Western Carib.  Saved a lot of time embarking and disembarking - really got the VIP treatment.  Chops lunch was nice.  Internet package was great, each of us had our own login and we could FB Message and voice call each other using FB Message.  I also had a Skype phone number and we called to/from the States.  We will absolutely do this again and again until they raise the price too high 😉

We purchased it for a 7-night Med cruise.   Won't use the priority debarkation as we are doing the B2B onward to a TA.   Is it worth it?  For us just for convenience.  We have 2 tender ports so not having to queue for a tender ticket, early embark/debark, and two internet codes makes it worth it for us, along with the Chops lunch and not having to fight the Windjammer.  It's like flying first class vs. cattle car on a 2-hour flight.  Is it worth it, or is it not.  Only you can decide.

• Like 2