New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

1 minute ago, Fifthcruise said:

We were at chops from 12-1:15. So about 75 minutes . It was longer than the buffet but it was delicious !!!

That sounds about right for a sit down lunch. A leisurely lunch is stated as one of the perks. If you want fast food there are lots of venues that you can go to. So if you want a fast lunch then the Key is probably not a good fit for you. The letter that you posted states that there is priority at all activities listed by letting the person running the activity know that you have the Key and they will give you priority.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JoeFan said:

Well then you aren't very clear or I misread.

"Enjoy these exclusive private hours or ENJOY PRIORITY DURING REGULAR OPENING HOURS AT ALL SHIPS ACTIVITIES LISTED ABOVE"

I would take that as during the times designated on the chart are exclusive for Key Members (Which isn't much) and the rest of the time you get priority access.

You even said you felt bad about jumping to the front of the line.

What is it, can you please elaborate?

You only got priority access during the key hours at rock climbing but it was open to everyone during that hour too. Every other time it was open there was no priority access.

flowrider had 4 hours that were key only throughout the week.

i can’t comment on zip line as we did not use the key times .

There were not any priority times for key people but the times listed on the key schedule 

1 minute ago, blueridgemama said:

That sounds about right for a sit down lunch. A leisurely lunch is stated as one of the perks. If you want fast food there are lots of venues that you can go to. So if you want a fast lunch then the Key is probably not a good fit for you. The letter that you posted states that there is priority at all activities listed by letting the person running the activity know that you have the Key and they will give you priority.

I think this comment was meant for someone else?? I wasn’t complaining and I didn’t post any pictures of letters . 

We really enjoyed the lunch and expected it to be that long . I know someone else was mad it was 90 min

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fifthcruise said:

I think this comment was meant for someone else?? I wasn’t complaining and I didn’t post any pictures of letters . 

We really enjoyed the lunch and expected it to be that long . I know someone else was mad it was 90 min

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was just commenting that 75 minutes sounds reasonable for lunch. The other comments were directed to the person who was mad about the 90 minutes and who complained that there was no priority times.

Hope to hear more about how the week goes on Symphony- I know they are trying to work the kinks out in this new plan but I don’t love being the guinea pig!

I really didn’t want to boogie board infront of a large group...was hoping that this stayed the old way with only a few people showing up early so we could do it! Guess we will see how this goes ... I did read the review on allure that said the private hour was really crowded too so not sure that is a good plan either...Spring Break on Oasis Class is probably not going to lead to anything but crowds...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You only got priority access during the key hours at rock climbing but it was open to everyone during that hour too. Every other time it was open there was no priority access.
flowrider had 4 hours that were key only throughout the week.
i can’t comment on zip line as we did not use the key times .
There were not any priority times for key people but the times listed on the key schedule 

I think I would have complained to Guest Services that The Key hours weren’t just for The Key. Priority during only 1 hour is not enough. Dedicated Key for one hour would be better - but ‘priority time’ should be longer so that folks have enough time to do it if there is a priority line.

I do wonder if they are trying to deal with spring break crowds (ships often sell out but not always with this demographic?)

We are going on the Symphony in a couple of weeks and are looking with interest at the new set-up they apparently started with this week. So now there is only one set key exclusive hour per attraction and the rest of the time you get what equates to a Disney fastpass with line cutting privileges? Not exactly what I was envisioning with the program, but we'll adjust. Guess it'll keep being tweaked until as it comes along....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SailingIntoTheSun21 said:

There is 1 designated hour for each activity this week.  Otherwise we get "Priority Line" privileges which means cutting in front of others in line.  I am not comfortable doing that so that is a wasted benefit.  

20190316_192449.jpg

Wow that isn't nearly as good as having heaps of key only times, we have already purchased the key for a upcoming cruise but if they have changed it to this then we might look at cancelling it, all the priority line does is piss people off they should make extra hours for the key and extra hours for suite guests as well, I would be happy to get up early and ride the flowrider rather than being the guy cutting the line 

31 minutes ago, seanjulz said:

Wow that isn't nearly as good as having heaps of key only times, we have already purchased the key for a upcoming cruise but if they have changed it to this then we might look at cancelling it, all the priority line does is piss people off they should make extra hours for the key and extra hours for suite guests as well, I would be happy to get up early and ride the flowrider rather than being the guy cutting the line 

Agreed.  People are much more likely to understand set hours.  "Cut the line" just breeds contempt.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SailingIntoTheSun21 said:

Except there is no sign or separate line.  

So you would just go to the front of the line and flash your wristband, and no one knows why you get to go first.

1.5 hours.  I was watching the timing for other people, thinking it was perhaps our server, and it was the same.  They weren't slammed (empty tables), the menu is limited, and there is no reason why it should have taken so long.

When I signed up for the Key it said allow 90 minutes for Chops lunch, so I don't think it should have surprised anyone.  I felt it was paced for a relaxing lunch but maybe too long and not be suited for some. 

This program obviously is not meant for the masses.  If you say it's too expensive for your tastes, then it is not for you.

I don't see it as a money grab by RCL but as an amenity for those willing to pay for it.  I think the idea came from drink cards where everyone in the cabin had to buy one and the cost per day was rather expensive.  Some people like to be treated 'royally' and have no problem with paying the extra fees to be treated as such. Again, it's not on every ship but I can see where it probably will be someday.  Not that I would buy into it.

The letter above says "Private hour" for those activities - meaning for at least one flow rider or one side of the rock wall it shouldn't have been priority access but ONLY Key access.  Unless they have a different understanding of what private means?  We know they have different math interpretations 🙂

3 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

The letter above says "Private hour" for those activities - meaning for at least one flow rider or one side of the rock wall it shouldn't have been priority access but ONLY Key access.  Unless they have a different understanding of what private means?  We know they have different math interpretations 🙂

For the private hour it is only Key guests that are allowed.  Previously there were multiple hours available throughout the week for Key guests.  Now there is one hour per activity for the whole week that is exclusive to Key guests.  

All other times Key guests are supposed to cut in line at any time, regardless of how long others have been waiting.  We have established that there are some people who would feel completely fine doing this and others who would not.  Who knows what would happen if 10 Key guests showed up to the Flowrider/rock wall/Abyss while 10 other people were waiting.  

3 minutes ago, SailingIntoTheSun21 said:

For the private hour it is only Key guests that are allowed.  Previously there were multiple hours available throughout the week for Key guests.  Now there is one hour per activity for the whole week that is exclusive to Key guests.  

All other times Key guests are supposed to cut in line at any time, regardless of how long others have been waiting.  We have established that there are some people who would feel completely fine doing this and others who would not.  Who knows what would happen if 10 Key guests showed up to the Flowrider/rock wall/Abyss while 10 other people were waiting.  

Ah gotcha, and UGH, I wouldn't want to be the one that cut - now did they have a separate line for Key only?  I know when we've bought jump the line passes in the past for amusement parks or the like they had a separate line for that but if you're just supposed to look like you're cutting no thank you!  As others have said, if they used it as an opportunity at each venue/activity to advertise the Key they may increase it's popularity.  

In reading this, and after my own Key experience, I think RCCL should start breaking it out based on what passengers want and they'd have even more revenue opportunities.  

Key - On/Off - Want to ease your embarkation and debarkation?  Use this jump the line opportunity to make this a stress-free part of your vacation.

Key - Shows - Want to know you always have a great seat at the shows?  Use this reserved seat option to know you never have to worry about finding a seat at one of our amazing shows!

Key - Activities - Want to have private time on the flow rider or rock walls?  Want to skate at sea?  Use this exclusive pass to have private hours with other Key Activity guests at your favorite activities.

They could then add the voom or leave it out along with the Chops lunch and make that part of a separate dining option or include it in one of the other ones.

11 minutes ago, ShillyShally said:

Ah gotcha, and UGH, I wouldn't want to be the one that cut - now did they have a separate line for Key only?  I know when we've bought jump the line passes in the past for amusement parks or the like they had a separate line for that but if you're just supposed to look like you're cutting no thank you!  As others have said, if they used it as an opportunity at each venue/activity to advertise the Key they may increase it's popularity.  

No, there is only one line.  

A lot of people are trying to justify this by comparing it to Fastpass at Disney or Express Pass at Universal.  The thing is, it is NOTHING like that.  Imagine what would happen at Disney or Universal (or any theme park) if there were only one line, and anyone who had Fastpass/Express Pass had to squeeze past everyone else in the queue so they could go first.  DO you think all of the other guests would be like "Well, they paid for the privilege so I have no problem with this"?  Hell no!  There would be riots.  That's why there are 2 separate lines, and multiple signs posted explaining the process to everyone.  Royal has no such signs or separate lines.  There is one line, at least at the Flowrider and Abyss.  We haven't done the rock wall.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SailingIntoTheSun21 said:

Royal has no such signs or separate lines. 

On Oasis there was a separate Key sign for the Zipline and what looked like a second line (though there was no one in either line when I saw the sign and couldn't tell how it worked).

1 hour ago, SailingIntoTheSun21 said:

A lot of people are trying to justify this by comparing it to Fastpass at Disney or Express Pass at Universal.  The thing is, it is NOTHING like that.  Imagine what would happen at Disney or Universal (or any theme park) if there were only one line, and anyone who had Fastpass/Express Pass had to squeeze past everyone else in the queue so they could go first.  DO you think all of the other guests would be like "Well, they paid for the privilege so I have no problem with this"?  Hell no!  There would be riots.  That's why there are 2 separate lines, and multiple signs posted explaining the process to everyone.  Royal has no such signs or separate lines.  There is one line, at least at the Flowrider and Abyss.  We haven't done the rock wall.  

Ugh one line is NOT acceptable!  Sorry about that experience!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

On Oasis there was a separate Key sign for the Zipline and what looked like a second line (though there was no one in either line when I saw the sign and couldn't tell how it worked).

Sigh, as we've all said, those of us trying it are all guinea pigs for this new option BUT it's so hit or miss and my fear is once they figure it out it still may be but more so that they'll then justify the higher prices some people have seen and I won't be able to justify it though I would still love it just for the boarding/departure experience again.

You and I are clearly commenting on this on disboards and here - but it seems that you really have an issue with people knowing why you are getting your turn. Seems like a simple enough effort to ask Guest Services to put up a ‘Key Priority Line’ sign if you don’t feel comfortable with using the privileges that you paid for without one! Without a sign - I agree it would be awkward - but I don’t think you are approaching it with the right attitude - you keep saying ‘cutting the line’ when you are just using the privilege that you paid.

I don’t envy you - having this change drop in the week of your cruise - but I think that the world is full of places where spending more gets you more and I think most people who are spending real money on Symphony are very aware of that philosophy and would understand. Nothing proves this true more than Disney and Universal - now it’s time for cruises to catch up!

2 minutes ago, October17 said:

Ugh, I’m not liking the idea of our kids having to “cut in line” for activities. Separate lines would be the sensible option 

There would be little difference if it was a separate line. You would still be given priority over those waiting in the other line so you would still essentially be "cutting in line" If you really have an aversion to being given the opportunity to take advantage of priority activities then you will have a tough time with priority disembarcation at ports and on the last day of the cruise. You have paid for this privilege so I'm not sure why you are having such a hard time with the concept.

1 minute ago, blueridgemama said:

There would be little difference if it was a separate line. You would still be given priority over those waiting in the other line so you would still essentially be "cutting in line" If you really have an aversion to being given the opportunity to take advantage of priority activities then you will have a tough time with priority disembarcation at ports and on the last day of the cruise. You have paid for this privilege so I'm not sure why you are having such a hard time with the concept.

Oh, I’m not having any problems with the concept or benefits. We will be using the things we have paid for. All I’m saying is that it wouldn’t be very comfortable for young teenagers in a foreign country (they are non English speakers) passing a line to use their Key benefits. It could be so much easier on them if it is a separate line. The kids will be there “by themselves”  not with parents to fend off “glaring looks”. Then again, maybe I’m underestimating the kids, and it won’t bother them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1