New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Value is incredibly subjective and personal 

I would agree but I did purchase it for my upcoming Mariner cruise for my fiance and myself, as this is his first Royal cruise and at D+, I guess I lost some of the perks (boo).  It wasn't too expensive and I wanted to help him have an over-the-top experience since all the suites were sold out when we decided to go.  

On the other hand, I remember going on my first Carnival cruise in 30 years in a suite several years ago and I was VERY underwhemled at the LACK of perks for a full suite and pissed at those who paid for the "Faster to the Fun" option that I knew nothing about.  They got the perks that I didn't and I wasn't happy.  Seems like Royal has taken something from Carnival's playbook on this.  Not happy about it.

3 minutes ago, jrljel said:

I would agree but I did purchase it for my upcoming Mariner cruise for my fiance and myself, as this is his first Royal cruise and at D+, I guess I lost s

ome of the perks (boo).  It wasn't too expensive and I wanted to help him have an over-the-top experience since all the suites were sold out when we decided to go.  

On the other hand, I remember going on my first Carnival cruise in 30 years in a suite several years ago and I was VERY underwhemled at the LACK of perks for a full suite and pissed at those who paid for the "Faster to the Fun" option that I knew nothing about.  They got the perks that I didn't and I wasn't happy.  Seems like Royal has taken something from Carnival's playbook on this.  Not happy about it.

Once again,  when you book a suite you get all the suite perks that the Key folks don't get plus you book it for the actual suite, more space and more amenities,nicer balcony, lounges, free drinks etc. I really don't know why you would be pissed. About the only benefit the Key gives the non suite cruiser is entering and leaving the ship. With Faster to the Fun and the Key I will still be in my non luxurious inside stateroom.

11 minutes ago, jrljel said:

I would agree but I did purchase it for my upcoming Mariner cruise for my fiance and myself, as this is his first Royal cruise and at D+, I guess I lost some of the perks (boo).  It wasn't too expensive and I wanted to help him have an over-the-top experience since all the suites were sold out when we decided to go.  

On the other hand, I remember going on my first Carnival cruise in 30 years in a suite several years ago and I was VERY underwhemled at the LACK of perks for a full suite and pissed at those who paid for the "Faster to the Fun" option that I knew nothing about.  They got the perks that I didn't and I wasn't happy.  Seems like Royal has taken something from Carnival's playbook on this Not happy about it.

Purchasing The Key isn't anything that interests me in the least, but I am concerned (and confused) by statements like those I've emphasized above. Exactly WHICH perks have been lost to The Key??

We are Diamond, and our last Royal Caribbean cruise was just two months ago. The Key was not being sold then, but we had no fewer perks, such as they are, than we've had in the last several years. Those saying D and D+ perks have been lessened, please share the specifics.

1 minute ago, RadioPeri said:

Purchasing The Key isn't anything that interests me in the least, but I am concerned (and confused) by statements like those I've emphasized above. Exactly WHICH perks have been lost to The Key??

We are Diamond, and our last Royal Caribbean cruise was just two months ago. The Key was not being sold then, but we had no fewer perks, such as they are, than we've had in the last several years. Those saying D and D+ perks have been lessened, please share the specifics.

D plus no longer gets the special seating in the theater and ice show.  They've also changed the Concierge lounges to suite lounges on a majority of ships so D plus is now confined to Diamond Lounge or using the preloaded drinks on see pass card.    

8 minutes ago, RadioPeri said:

D and D+ no longer have access to the priority line to get thru security before entering the terminal.  Lots of folks are confusing the priority line for security with the priority line for checking in once inside the terminal.  That is still available (for now)

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

D and D+ no longer have access to the priority line to get thru security before entering the terminal.  

While the timing might have one think that was caused by the introduction of Key, I think that’s just a coincidence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just off Indy with the Key and for ONLY the boarding/departure and voom we LOVED it!

Boarding - got to terminal and immediately through priority and up to a special key waiting area (terminal 18) - we boarded just after Suites/Pinnacle

Bag drop off - used this and really enjoyed not carrying our carry-ons.  Also when our room opened at 1:30PM our dropped bags and all our luggage was outside our room - the luggage may have been just luck but we were happy!

We meant to go to lunch at Chops but got distracted at Playmakers 🙂  My husband and I are vegan so we didn't really plan on eating there anyway but son and GF were happy to skip it (we LOVED Playmakers).

We had a note in our room to select which showing of Grease we wanted but we weren't going so we didn't.  For all other shows we never bothered to find if there was special seating as we found great seats as we were usually early to grab drinks before shows.

Enjoyed the fruit plate, was a great snack!

Voom - we don't normally do this but it was nice to be able to be connected to work/dog sitter and we were never absorbed by our phones.  I know we could get this cheaper separately though.

Departure - we usually self-disembark but this time I was travelling with a still recovering knee (surgery a few months back) so I didn't want to lug the bags.  Now also I tend to like self-disembark so I don't have to worry about packing ahead of time but figured we needed to try the whole experience.  We went to breakfast in the MDR at 8AM - our flight was at 11:50 so we weren't in a huge rush and the 4 of us had fun rehashing the week.  Our waiters left a bit to be desired but again, we were being served and it was quiet so we were happy.  The last morning is when I tend to get very claustrophobic with the crowds and everything but let's put it this way - we left the MDR at 9AM (I checked my phone when getting up from the table) - we were printing out boarding tags at the Southwest counter at 9:25AM!  After we left the MDR we found crowds of people waiting to be called - I asked a staff member what to do for Key and she parted the crowds, took us to an emergency exit and we bypassed all the lines and were headed down to the luggage - we made our way to the key luggage area, grabbed our bags, had minimal line at customs (we didn't even bother looking for the global entry lines it was so short since you come out with the suites/pinnacle) and out to the taxi in record time.  Husband and I both said for entry and exit the Key to us was well worth it!

We talked about it later and we purchased it for $19.99 a day so $100 each.  I said while I don't know we'd love it as much for $32.99 a day or for longer cruises we will now price suites or regular rooms with key and add it to the budget.  Part of vacationing for me is reducing stress and our Key experience did that completely, especially getting off, my claustrophobia wasn't triggered once and I've had some more stressful times in the past.  Now I know the terminal you are at can make a difference too but for us we had no regrets on purchasing the Key, even only using a few of the benefits. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Cruising Cheryl 61 said:

I purchased the key for the main reseal I am disabled and can not stand in the lines for hours so the ability to be able to sit quicker and get off the ship easier is a blessing for me and my family and more than enough to make the Key worth while for us.

Yes, I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!  I cannot stand as long right now as my knee is still recovering from surgery a few months back - the Key was great for us for these reasons too!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

Once again,  when you book a suite you get all the suite perks that the Key folks don't get plus you book it for the actual suite, more space and more amenities,nicer balcony, lounges, free drinks etc. I really don't know why you would be pissed. About the only benefit the Key gives the non suite cruiser is entering and leaving the ship. With Faster to the Fun and the Key I will still be in my non luxurious inside stateroom.

3 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

You apparently did not read my post correctly.  I said that was on Carnival and I was mad at CARNIVAL with a full suite that I did not get the perks like you got on Royal and the faster to the fun people got perks like a separate line at customer service etc.

12 minutes ago, tcmagnum said:

Thank you for you objective review.  Less stress is very important.

You're welcome!  That's what I told my husband when we were talking about what it would potentially cost on longer cruises but when we thought about showing up to lines at the start or finish if someone said "I can get you by all this for $$$$" we'd probably always pay it lol, I had no problem with lines in younger years, now, that's an indulgence we enjoy!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

D plus no longer gets the special seating in the theater and ice show.  They've also changed the Concierge lounges to suite lounges on a majority of ships so D plus is now confined to Diamond Lounge or using the preloaded drinks on see pass card.    

This has nothing to do with “the key” program 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cruising Cheryl 61 said:

I purchased the key for the main reseal I am disabled and can not stand in the lines for hours so the ability to be able to sit quicker and get off the ship easier is a blessing for me and my family and more than enough to make the Key worth while for us.

I don’t need it because my family will be in a suite. However, my mother will be on the same sailing and she has limited mobility. She won’t use the things like flow rider or voom, but I think it will be worth it for priority embarkation and debarkation. 

A quick question, what happens if you buy the key on a B2B cruise? Let’s say we buy and use it for the first cruise,  can you use It just to get off the ship on the second cruise?  

I thought to ask here because some of you are more knowledgeable than customer service.

Thanks in advance

4 hours ago, Colorado Babe said:

wrong you get to have the key people sit with you as if they are diamond plus

11 minutes ago, potteran said:

A quick question, what happens if you buy the key on a B2B cruise? Let’s say we buy and use it for the first cruise,  can you use It just to get off the ship on the second cruise?  

I thought to ask here because some of you are more knowledgeable than customer service.

Thanks in advance

no

46 minutes ago, kjacruiser said:

no

No you can't BUT if you aren't using it round 2 and can transfer the key sticker to your new card you may be able to just for last day - they checked our room for the breakfast on the last day but not for getting off the ship, BUT you also won't get key luggage tags but again you may have those from the first sailing.  I'm not condoning this or saying you shouldn't - simply stating whatever I need to to avoid the opinions on what I just posted!

• Haha 1