New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

I have had TSA precheck for 5+ years and if you fly from the same airports all of the time, then the rules become simple, but we fly to lots of places and many USA airports have different procedures for TSA pre check, so, yes, if someone regularly flies from an airport not yours then they may appear to be NOOBS, but they may not actually be.  Because the rules are not the same at every airport.  I know, what a CF.

jc

Edited by xpcdoojk

On 3/5/2019 at 7:11 PM, blueridgemama said:

I do not have the financial ability to cruise frequently or to book a suite, obviously it would be fantastic if I could. For the one and rarely two cruises I can afford in a year I think it is a great opportunity for me to get a few extra perks to enhance my limited cruise experience. There will be limited number of Key participants so I don't think that we will be changing your experience significantly.

Very true!  This will be our first cruise on RCL so we do not have the C&A status or ability to book a suite (ocean view balconies will do for now 😊) so the Key perks are ideal for us.  

Edited by Cruisecat40
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Cruisecat40 said:

Very true!  This will be our first cruise on RCL so we do not have the C&A status or ability to book a suite (ocean view balconies will do for now 😊) so the Key perks are ideal for us.  

Most are smoke and mirrors.  Ideal indeed.   Paying without a baseline is just crazy, to me.  

Key is just a way to raise internet prices. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Cruisecat40 said:

This is only my 2nd cruise with RCI and the last one was 10 years ago. I decided to book the key to make it that little bit more special and relaxing. Now I don't have to worry about seating at shows. We don't have to worry about long delays on embarkation/disembarkation and we get a nice option for lunch on embarkation to go along with the internet and special hours for flow rider etc with much smaller queues. The breakfast on disembarkation seems to be getting good reviews.

Would I pay it if I was cruising more than once per year? Probably not. But to make our special cruise more special then I think it's probably going to be worth it. I'll maybe do a review when I return.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Jenglish711 said:

As for the papers with the wifi codes - even though we paid for only two Keys, as there were three of us in the cabin, they gave us a wifi code for each passenger, which was nice. 

I assume your 4 year old appreciated having their own VOOM code.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cre8tiv said:

Lots of discussion about the cost at 19.99 day for rccl Key....

Imagine booking Holland America and paying 50./day for their Club Orange, Perks. It’s all about what the consumer wants. 

It's currently $24.99 pp on my cruise planner.

Edited by marci22

It says on the RCI website that the key must be bought for all guests in the same room except for those 5 and under who automatically get it for free when purchased by the other guests.

Edited by mcdni
  • Like 2

We recently used the key and were very happy for the reasons everyone has posted. I would do it again for debarkation and wifi alone, assuming they keep the price around $20/ppd.  

I really enjoy using Tripadvisor for travel and people told me to go to Cruise Critic.  I have found it very helpful in planning the cruise and activities.  I am disappointed by all the negativity.  I don't understand why people need to keep bashing RCCL.  If you don't like going on their ships, then don't  All places have perks if you want to spend money.  From going on a tour with a large group or paying extra for a private tour, getting first class seats, or spending more to go to the front seats in a concert.  It is how it all works.  I used the seating for the shows on Freedom.  I can tell you I was not impeding on suite guests as the area was not full for any of the shows.  Chops may have had more people than normal on embarkation day, I wouldn't know as this is only my second cruise, but it was very pleasant and not hectic at all.  

Anyway, I meant to do a real review, but so many great people have pointed out the positives of the key.  These are good for some people and not as important for all.  We are all different.  I kept following this thread to see what people thought of the key and to see if I had a similar experiences to others, so if i were to cruise again, I would know if the Key was as pleasant as it was on Freedom. 

Didn't mean to get preachy, just I love vacationing and planning trips and the negativity brings me down when I am trying to be in my happy place.

Happy vacationing!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mcdni said:

It says on the RCI website that the key must be bought for all guests in the same room except for those 5 and under who automatically get it for free when purchased by the other guests.

I don't think it was obvious or expected that any child under 6 would get a separate VOOM code but we seem to have confirmation that is the case.

I don't think it was obvious or expected that any child under 6 would get a separate VOOM code but we seem to have confirmation that is the case.

Biker - I agree with you - this is definitely new intel. I was not expecting them to get that part for free - I think I was expecting just the other ‘go with mom and dad’ perks to be given to them.

And now junior can stream Baby Shark anytime they want!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

Biker - I agree with you - this is definitely new intel. I was not expecting them to get that part for free - I think I was expecting just the other ‘go with mom and dad’ perks to be given to them.

3 hours ago, marci22 said:

It's currently $24.99 pp on my cruise planner.

Yes.. I’ve seen it go up as well. Perhaps as they get closer to departure or to a certain place with sales? 

Glad I grabbed it at the lower price.