New Program called "The Key"

ValerieJo

17 hours ago, jrljel said:

I have one more question for those who have purchased this and used it:  How does security know that you purchased the key before check-in?  I just did my check-in and didn't see it anywhere on there....just my D+.  Maybe it shows if you print out the SetSail pass but I was doing it all in the app. Curious so I don't screw this up.  Thanks!

I just said we had key when we walked up (I had printed my confirmation in case but it wasn't needed) - they did however confirm and see it in their system when we were checking in!

On 3/11/2019 at 10:50 AM, Dan83 said:

Flowrider/Rockclimbing/Ice skating times: Sorry I didn't take a picture of the schedule but it was very very similar to the one already posted for Liberty.  There were 6 sessions for rock climbing, 5 flowrider sessions, and 1 ice skating session.  I used 4 flowrider sessions, 2 rock climbing, and the 1 ice skating. There were 3 key guests total show up for the first flow rider session on the first sea day.  5 key guests total showed up for the second sea day.  I missed the first port day flow rider.  The second port day flow rider session was interesting.  It came right after an advanced stand up session.  I showed up about 3-5 minutes after the hour started.  These guys were very very disappointed that I showed up and they were very vocal about it.  It was awkward for a bit. Apparently they had been told that if no key guests show up, the hour was theirs.  Here I was, and I'm definitely amateur flow rider.  I ride for about 5-10 minutes, wipe out a few times and sit down to take a break.  The staff motions for one of the advanced guys to get on, and all of a sudden, the rest are back in line.  Now I'm thinking to myself, do I just go cut in line when I'm ready to get back on?  Thankfully two more key guests show up and the instructor is uncomfortable with the non-key guys riding and sends them on their way.  The third port day and last flow rider key session I had the whole hour to myself.  The instructors practiced while I rested.  All of the key flow rider guests were amateurs like myself and it made for a very fun environment. Also a great learning experience, the instructors were great teachers.  I got my fill of flow rider during the key hours and I never showed up during regular open hours.  Rock climbing, never saw anyone else climbing during key times. Also never really saw any line to speak of during regular open hours.  I climbed twice during regular hours and didn't have to wait.  Ice skating: total of 7 key guests showed up. Myself and my 5 year old were the only ones to stay the whole hour.  It was nice.  There was a huge line waiting for tickets and I'm fairly sure at least some of them got turned away.  The ice skating was definitely a key benefit.  

Thanks for the update.  We're doing the same itinerary on Liberty next week, subbing Costa Maya for Belize, and we'll also have grandparents without the Key.  I will be one happy cruiser (as will the DS) if that is the size of the Flowrider crowds for Key hours.  The difference for me will be that I'll be doing the advanced hour and then staying for the Key hour.  That will be a little awkward when they boot people off and we keep going.

My main reason for purchasing was the Flowrider hours and internet, but the ice skating sounds good as well.  The only other time I did ice skating on a cruise it was way overcrowded and we never did it again.  I guess I'll pack a pair of jeans.

On 3/10/2019 at 12:57 PM, Thorben-Hendrik said:

But people still love it !

As long as they can spend money for something that is limited....they will fall for it and feel special!:classic_rolleyes:

You have figured us all out, we just want to feel special.🤑

On 3/11/2019 at 11:14 PM, keyarra said:

Does the Key give you special seating around the pool too?

Thanks!

That's where the real uproar would come. If The Key were to somehow impact the towels that so enjoy the pool area.The towels would cause a mutiny of the seas.. But alas, no pool perks are included in the key.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Any other ships beside the Liberty give you skating time with the Key?

I was on the Mariner 3 night cruise on Mar 1 and there was one Skating session offered for KEY.

enjoy.

Edited by sandystx

So I thought I had posted this the other day as a separate thread but either I don't understand how this set of message boards works or it got posted in the wrong place (because it went into a thread instead of its own one). Here goes again...

We are going on the Brilliance of the Seas for five days in April. The Key is being offered for $19.99 a day and considering it covers the $11.99 internet fee (which I'd be paying already), $8 extra a day doesn't seem too bad if the benefits are truly there. But that's what I wanted to ask about...

The way the promotional material for the key is a written strongly references a lot of things only available on the Oasis class ships (flow rider, Studio B, etc). So has anyone gone on the Brilliance of the Seas in the last three months since this program was made available and could share what benefits they actually got?

Was there reserved seating in the Pacifica Theater and any of the other nightly show venues? Besides the rock climbing wall, where there any activities that had priority access for The Key guests? Any other perks you found they had that were not specifically listed on the cruise planner description?

It's been years since I've been on a Royal Caribbean cruise but I read on these forums that lines for the shows in the evenings are long. We're very much people who don't like waiting for things, so paying an extra $8 a day each to be able to walk up and get a good seat 10 minutes prior to showtime would be a benefit (if that's actually what we do get on the Brilliance in the main theater).

Oh, and I read a blog post that said it was limited to 100 guests per cruise - do you feel like that is the case based on the number of people you saw at The Key related events?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as we're sailing in 25 days and I need to book soon. Thank you!

On 3/12/2019 at 12:47 PM, JRondo said:

We probably boarded about noon, as we toured one of the forts prior.  I have pictures with the time of 12:30 in Chops Grill.  My documents also said 12:30 for boarding.  There were plenty of passengers already on board when we arrived.  It also confused me prior to the trip and I wrote to RCCL and got a confusing email back saying they weren't sure what they were doing with the Chops lunch on this trip since it boards/leaves port so late.  They never got back to me.  I can tell you for sure they were serving at Chops and we were not the first to arrive.  Also, at check in, no one said we were too early and should have arrived at 12:30.  There were no lines outside at all, making me assume the majority of passengers had already boarded.  Not sure if this helps.

That helps a lot!  Thank you.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 3:46 PM, ShillyShally said:

Departure - we usually self-disembark but this time I was travelling with a still recovering knee (surgery a few months back) so I didn't want to lug the bags

Thank you for the great review of The Key!  We have purchased it for our upcoming cruise on Brilliance.  My first cruise was last June and I had total right knee replacement 3 weeks after cruising, soI was in pain during my sailing!  Good luck on your recovery and once again, THANK YOU!!!

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 9:39 PM, shipmate13 said:

I purchased the KEY when we went on the Brilliance of the Seas a couple of weeks ago.  Since the offer for us was 19.99 a day and I was going on a quick 4 night cruise with my friends and left our husbands behind, I thought It was a great deal.  All of us women purchased it and I really thought it was worth the money but I only paid for me so it was under $80.00.  We pulled up to the cruise pier and walked immediately to the elevator in Tampa and upstairs to the KEY check in.  Waited in a separate area for just a few minutes and walked right onto the ship. The staff was there right inside the door and took all our carry on right off.  We went to Chops and had a wonderful relaxing lunch without having to go to the free for all at Windjammer which we did not eat at all cruise.  We had free wifi, and designated area for the shows.  A wonderful relaxing breakfast before disembarked on last day and our luggage waiting for us in a separate area.  I loved the KEY and will certainly look into it again on future cruising if they still have it.  I could not justify it if I was traveling with a family but if it was just my husband and I, then I would certainly consider the price.  They also had specials automatically added on our sea pass card for free wine, specialty coffee and other benefits. 

Thanks Shipmate13!  We are on Brilliance in a couple of weeks and are using The Keya s well.  Interested in knowing more about the free wine and such.  Was that because of The Key?

The perk was buy one, get one free on wine. Same offer on coffee and a few other discounts. Not much but it was a nice jesture anyways. I am looking to see if they will offer 19.99 a day for my trip to New Zealand at end of month. If so, I will purchase again. This time for myself and husband. Not so sure it's a good deal for families. You have to just weigh in all the factors before deciding 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BIBPhotography said:

Thank you for the great review of The Key!  We have purchased it for our upcoming cruise on Brilliance.  My first cruise was last June and I had total right knee replacement 3 weeks after cruising, soI was in pain during my sailing!  Good luck on your recovery and once again, THANK YOU!!!

Thank you too!  Yep a nice lounger and attentive waiter helped when I pushed my limits 🙂

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, shipmate13 said:

The perk was buy one, get one free on wine. Same offer on coffee and a few other discounts. Not much but it was a nice jesture anyways. I am looking to see if they will offer 19.99 a day for my trip to New Zealand at end of month. If so, I will purchase again. This time for myself and husband. Not so sure it's a good deal for families. You have to just weigh in all the factors before deciding 

Thanks Shipmate13!

2 minutes ago, shipmate13 said:

These are Crown & Anchor Rewards - if you've done a RCCL cruise before you automatically get some and they increase as you move up the tiers 🙂

We didn't end up using any of ours this trip though!  Oh and children will have different offers loaded to their cards based on their C&A status, they don't get the B1G1 Wine or Beer 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, BIBPhotography said:

After the 2nd port on Freedom, I told my wife she could find me in the hot tube with a frozen concoction in my hand!  LOL

LOL yep!  That first day I had over 12,000 steps - which I would love to do regularly but haven't gotten close to in the past few months, I was glad for a sea day and no commitments 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I am thinking of getting this for my 10 year old grandaughter and me. They say they charge for adults, would she be able to use my privileges also?

You would have to pay for her also.  If you are purchasing the The Key it must be purchased by everyone in the cabin 6 and older.

4 hours ago, shipmate13 said:

Makes sense I guess and since I am almost diamond status which really dont mean much to me personally, I can see that. That is probably why we had water and fruit plates in the room. 

Yep I know Emerald gets the water in cabin - not sure on the fruit plate but one does arrive mid-week with the key too!  We made Emerald on this cruise so I won't know what additional perks we may get in the future!

I will think on this!  I don't plan on doing specialty dining at all because she is a picky eater, so we will do MDR mytime dining.

I think with just the two of us for added help with the bags and stuff, shows and Chops, it may be worth it for us.  I am a grandmother!😉