What is disembarkation day like on Viking ?

Eloise4Ever

I don't suppose it would have taken all that long to get the bags off the bus, however, I wouldn't have been very amused - flying business class I want to get into the lounge asap.  I wouldn't have to 'check in' as such, merely drop bags off (check in done 24 hrs or so previously via app, and seats already reserved).  I know that the Viking people have to be meticulous etc., but I don't find sitting in a bus very comfortable at the best of times.

Oh well, it is what it is.  However recently when doing a post-cruise extension we were able to get on a bus from the hotel earlier than planned, and enjoyed exploring the airport and relaxing in the business lounge.

I don't see why the passengers couldn't be allowed to get off the bus as the bags were being extracted from the baggage hold.

3 hours ago, Parsley Cruises said:

I don't suppose it would have taken all that long to get the bags off the bus, however, I wouldn't have been very amused - flying business class I want to get into the lounge asap.  I wouldn't have to 'check in' as such, merely drop bags off (check in done 24 hrs or so previously via app, and seats already reserved).  I know that the Viking people have to be meticulous etc., but I don't find sitting in a bus very comfortable at the best of times.

Oh well, it is what it is.  However recently when doing a post-cruise extension we were able to get on a bus from the hotel earlier than planned, and enjoyed exploring the airport and relaxing in the business lounge.

I don't see why the passengers couldn't be allowed to get off the bus as the bags were being extracted from the baggage hold.

We were asked to stay on the bus for 5 to 10 minutes so the bus driver could get the luggage off in an orderly manner without the passengers jumping on top of him trying to grab their bags. It can get pretty crowded with a bus load of people all standing around waiting for their luggage. It was a very good way to handle the situation. 

• Like 2

We left our stateroom at 7.30 (required to be out by 8am) and are having waffles in Mamsens right now. Our bags are in the corner - and there are only two other couples here with us.

All passengers have to be off the ship by 9.30am.

We are staying tonight in Sydney under own arrangements.

20 minutes ago, zitsky said:

If you transfer to a hotel any guess about when you leave the ship? (Either on your own or Viking add on)

If you are on your own, you can leave at any time.  You do have to be out of cabin by 8:00 and they like for you to be off by 10:00.  that can fluctuate a little if you are in pubic spaces.  We've only done post stays on our own.

On Norwegian I booked a tour and transfer to the airport.  We had to be in the theater at 6:45am.  Had breakfast at a place similar to World Cafe.  Earliest meeting time of the entire cruise.  My flight was 10pm.

Just hoping I can leave ship at a more reasonable time on Viking.  I do remember at least one early departure on Viking river.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

On Norwegian I booked a tour and transfer to the airport.  We had to be in the theater at 6:45am.  Had breakfast at a place similar to World Cafe.  Earliest meeting time of the entire cruise.  My flight was 10pm.

Just hoping I can leave ship at a more reasonable time on Viking.  I do remember at least one early departure on Viking river.

No matter what, you have to out of your cabin by 8am and off the ship by 9:45 am. In some ports they might let you stay on the ship longer. While there some reports of people with late flights being permitted to stay on board, it is not a regular practice.

4 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

No matter what, you have to out of your cabin by 8am and off the ship by 9:45 am. In some ports they might let you stay on the ship longer. While there some reports of people with late flights being permitted to stay on board, it is not a regular practice.

Oh that's ok.  I just don't want to leave the ship at 4am for a hotel transfer.

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Several people disembarking Viking in Miami had similar concerns. Had to be off the ship by 9 or 9.30 am (IIRC), but their planes weren't leaving until late afternoon.  It would be nice for Viking to offer a land-side lounge to fill the gap, or a shopping excursion to Bal Harbour mall (which has its own checked luggage facility, I believe).

25 minutes ago, Cienfuegos said:

Several people disembarking Viking in Miami had similar concerns. Had to be off the ship by 9 or 9.30 am (IIRC), but their planes weren't leaving until late afternoon.  It would be nice for Viking to offer a land-side lounge to fill the gap, or a shopping excursion to Bal Harbour mall (which has its own checked luggage facility, I believe).

Somewhere on this board I thought I read about Viking arranging a day room for pax.

Last year when we disembarked in Miami at 10am with a flight very late in the evening (9:30pm) they took us to the hotel they were using for the pre and post extensions. Used a large conference room in the hotel. Provided coffee and nibbles. Our bags were all brought up to the room. It was well organized. There were biking agents there who knew which passengers were leaving when. Those of us who were in the late group settled in for the day, reading, chatting etc. The big question was lunch. Some decided to walk outside and look for offerings nearby (bags were certainly secure)  We chose to eat in the hotel restaurant. In the late afternoon, we left by bus for the airport and spent I forget how many hours there. Wasn’t bad all things considered. I took some pictures there but they’re not on my phone anymore. Can post later if you want from my workstation vice this handheld. 

18 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Last year when we disembarked in Miami at 10am with a flight very late in the evening (9:30pm) they took us to the hotel they were using for the pre and post extensions. Used a large conference room in the hotel. Provided coffee and nibbles. Our bags were all brought up to the room. It was well organized. There were biking agents there who knew which passengers were leaving when. Those of us who were in the late group settled in for the day, reading, chatting etc. The big question was lunch. Some decided to walk outside and look for offerings nearby (bags were certainly secure)  We chose to eat in the hotel restaurant. In the late afternoon, we left by bus for the airport and spent I forget how many hours there. Wasn’t bad all things considered. I took some pictures there but they’re not on my phone anymore. Can post later if you want from my workstation vice this handheld. 

When you say bags were brought to the room... do you mean the conference room or a hotel room you used for the day?

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

When you say bags were brought to the room... do you mean the conference room or a hotel room you used for the day?

Sorry. Should have said. In the conference room. All the bags at one end of the room organized by departure groups. Took a picture of it. 

1 minute ago, CharTrav said:

Sorry. Should have said. In the conference room. All the bags at one end of the room organized by departure groups. Took a picture of it. 

Thanks.  I guess you could go anywhere as long as they knew where you were.  I would head for the comfy chairs in the lobby.  Would be nice to have a day room in case you wanted to use the gym and get a shower.

We were good with the conference room. Especially when we’d spent time in the days before departure wondering just how things would be managed if we were expected to leave the ship at 10 with a flight at 9pm. I had a backup plan in place, which was to meet up with some friends who live in Miami and while away the day with them. But then my friend’s wife woke up that morning not feeling well. So the conference room worked for us.  

Anyway - it was nice to find out that Viking had plans for how to handle folks like us. What would have been nice would have been to have told us in advance how things would be handled. We didn’t find out about the hotel arrangements until the day before we left via the Viking Daily. This is something perhaps that should be in the list of FAQs. I hadn’t thought about that until now. And it’s been a year. Sigh. A quiet snowy day here today. Time for reflection. 

21 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

While there some reports of people with late flights being permitted to stay on board, it is not a regular practice.

We are staying in Barcelona for four nights after our TA in March/April....wonder if they will let us stay aboard since we can't get into our AirBnb until afternoon.  

4 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We are staying in Barcelona for four nights after our TA in March/April....wonder if they will let us stay aboard since we can't get into our AirBnb until afternoon.  

As far as I understand (and sometimes it isn't that far), Viking is one of those ports where they must clear the ship of departing passengers before the next pax may board.

One time passing through there, there was a kiosk in the terminal offering bag storage--I can't remember if it was when we were leaving after our 2016 cruise or last year when we were arriving--and I have no idea what the details are or who runs it. May the Port website can help or our friend Google.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:14 PM, H2Otstr said:

We were asked to stay on the bus for 5 to 10 minutes so the bus driver could get the luggage off in an orderly manner without the passengers jumping on top of him trying to grab their bags. It can get pretty crowded with a bus load of people all standing around waiting for their luggage. It was a very good way to handle the situation. 

5 to 10 minutes doesn't sound all that long to some folks, but I can clearly remember we made a point of looking online to try and work out which side of the bus to sit on, so that we could keep an eye on our bags when they were offloaded at the airport.  Just as well we did, as there were some questionable people taking a close interest in the bags which came off the bus, but at least we were able to keep an eye on the bags, and be quick smart off the bus.  I don't know if these people (non-uniformed casually dressed, a bit unkempt) were hoping to con money out of us for wheeling our bags into the airport or what, but I sensed the need to keep these people away from our possessions.

I prefer to get off the bus and take control of my bags - it's the best way.  I've never seen passengers 'jumping on top of a driver' to get at their bags, but in a public place like an airport it's extremely prudent to keep a sharp eye on your bags - for a multitude of reasons.

We are disembarking the Star in Venice this spring, with several days of leisure in Venice planned there before we fly home.  We prefer to have a relaxed final morning on the ship and are often amongst the last people off the ship. We will be on land for several weeks prior to the cruise and will have more than just carry-on bags, so we'll need to set our luggage out the night before. What would you experienced Viking Ocean cruisers recommend for our game plan for that final morning? 

33 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

We are disembarking the Star in Venice this spring, with several days of leisure in Venice planned there before we fly home.  We prefer to have a relaxed final morning on the ship and are often amongst the last people off the ship. We will be on land for several weeks prior to the cruise and will have more than just carry-on bags, so we'll need to set our luggage out the night before. What would you experienced Viking Ocean cruisers recommend for our game plan for that final morning? 

Your extended time in Venice:  Viking plan or on your own?

18 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

As far as I understand (and sometimes it isn't that far), Viking is one of those ports where they must clear the ship of departing passengers before the next pax may board.

One time passing through there, there was a kiosk in the terminal offering bag storage--I can't remember if it was when we were leaving after our 2016 cruise or last year when we were arriving--and I have no idea what the details are or who runs it. May the Port website can help or our friend Google.

thanks!

SargassoPirate ... you are not obliged to put bags out the night before.

We disembarked a few days ago in Sydney. We packed our bags early on disembarkation morning then went to Explorers Lounge for waffles / breakfast. We took our bags with us to the Lounge and just left them in the corner out of the way. Several others did the same.

When we were ready, we simply walked off the ship with our bags. We had to be out of the room by 8am and off the ship by 9.30am - both easy to achieve if you are reasonable early risers.