Formal Dress Code Question for for Children/Pre-teens

DimSum

I will be sailing to the Eastern Caribbean on the Royal 11/17 and travelling with 10yo daughter and 12yo son.  Dressing my daughter is not a problem for formal nights.  But does my 12 year old need to wear a suit jacket and tie for the formal in the MDR?  Has anyone seen pre-teen boys dressed in a suit?  I'm hoping he can get away with a shirt and tie and skip the jacket.

On the other hand, yes, I have seen youngsters dressed not only in coat and tie, but in tuxes as well.

The question is not how does your child wish to dress, but how do you want them to dress.

At 12 years old, he cannot be expected to fully understand the dress code. As an adult, you do should have that knowledge.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

even adults don't bother with the dinner jackets and ties.

My DS wears polo shirts and khaki pants. My DH wears buttoned shirts and nice dress pants. I haven't see any really dressed up boys.

That seems a bit disingenuous. We tend to see a large percentage (actually the majority) of men in suits on formal night. Very few these days wear a tux but we do see those as well. Some men don't wear suits. I'm not here to discuss that. I'm just pointing out that your statement was extremely general and can give an incorrect impression.

• Like 3

I would have him wear what he would to a church service or a nice restaurant.  No need to go out and spend a lot of money on something he might wear only on the cruise .  At 12 he is most likely to go through agrowth spurt very soon.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, DimSum said:

I will be sailing to the Eastern Caribbean on the Royal 11/17 and travelling with 10yo daughter and 12yo son.  Dressing my daughter is not a problem for formal nights.  But does my 12 year old need to wear a suit jacket and tie for the formal in the MDR?  Has anyone seen pre-teen boys dressed in a suit?  I'm hoping he can get away with a shirt and tie and skip the jacket.

Nice clothing will do.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2018 at 1:15 PM, DimSum said:

He sure can skip the jacket. My DH hasn't worn one in years and has been perfectly happy about it and he's no kid. 

Just a nice dress shirt & pants will suffice.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The formal dress requirement suggested on the Princess website outlines what men and women wear.  Children presumably would wear smart casual type clothing or if the parents wanted boys to wear a tuxedo etc. or girls special dresses this is perfectly acceptable also.  No requirement to go out and buy special expensive clothing which will soon be grown out of if you do not want to.

Regards John

• Like 2

On our cruise last year, my boys wore dress pants, dress shirt, and a tie.   Most other boys on the cruise skipped the tie.  

We have three formal nights on our upcoming cruise.  Both of my boys decided they wanted to wear jackets and ties this time.  They're 10 and 12 years old.  I took them to a local thrift store and they picked out jackets for less than $10.  I didn't want to spend a lot because they may change their minds at the last minute.  As long as it's within reason, I let the boys wear whatever they want.  I want them to feel good about the way they look and enjoy themselves.  

• Like 3

My boys enjoy dressing up.  The 15 yo has enjoyed wearing a tux growing up, and the hand me downs have been nice for the 10 year old.  Now that the 10 yo is getting older his tastes are a bit different than his brother's.  So, he tends to wear more vests with his pants, and doesn't often wear the jacket.  As long as kids dress nicely they are fine in the MDR.  Princess does not expect children to dress to the nines, and if your son is comfortable in a shirt and tie, he will fit in just fine.  🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DimSum said:

That will be fine. I'm sure that both your children will look very nice.

• Like 2

Smart casual should be just fine- a vest can be a nice compromise.  I make my son dress in a suit and tie- first of all I love the pictures of my kids dressed up, and secondly we go on more 15 day cruises where there aren't as many kids on board.  I know there are a lot of people who don't really love seeing kids on the ship so I expect my children to act as ambassadors for kids on board- that means dressing up, behaving and using their best manners.  They have been taught that if they want to go on the cruise they must act appropriately at all times- that is their "cost" to go on a cruise (well that and being subject to lots of pictures!)

• Like 3

For the OP's 12 y/o DS a shirt with collar and dockers will suffice.  The shirt can be long or short sleeved and even a polo shirt will work.  No expects a 12 y/o to look like a 30ish professional. I have seen youngsters dressed like adults but think it looks very silly and is a waste of money.  

• Like 2

On 11/8/2018 at 10:53 AM, Potstech said:

I would have him wear what he would to a church service or a nice restaurant.  No need to go out and spend a lot of money on something he might wear only on the cruise .  At 12 he is most likely to go through agrowth spurt very soon.

This.  It's a wonderful chance to step out of the everyday and get dressed up.  Whatever you would have them wear to church or a wedding.  and don't pass up the opportunity to have the photo of the family 'all gussied up and purdy'  It doesn't happen that often, right? lol

• Like 1