Recent experiences of Canadians crossing into US please

VennDiagram

I'd be interested in hearing from Canadian cruisers who have gone to the US, since cannabis was legalized in Canada in October.  I've read a variety of things on the internet and am wondering what, if any, of it is true.  Do we get questioned about investments in cannabis companies, working for one, use of?  Or is it still the same -- how much cash are you bringing? where do you live?  when are you coming back? kinds of things.

edited to add: I have TERRIBLE anxiety about flying, so the more prepped for the whole airport pre-flight routine I can be in advance, the better. 

Edited by VennDiagram

I flew out of YYZ about 10 days ago to the US. I'm a dual US/Canadian citizen, so my experience might be a little different. I was not questioned about cannabis/investments in cannabis companies etc at all.

US immigration did give me heck about checking in for my US to Canada flight on my Canadian passport though. They've never done that in countless times flying between the 2 countries. 

Edited by boulders
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, boulders said:

I flew out of YYZ about 10 days ago to the US. I'm a dual US/Canadian citizen, so my experience might be a little different. I was not questioned about cannabis/investments in cannabis companies etc at all.

US immigration did give me heck about checking in for my US to Canada flight on my Canadian passport though. They've never done that in countless times flying between the 2 countries. 

US law requires that you enter the US on your US passport.

If you check in with your Canadian passport, that is the info transmitted to CBP from your flight.

Best way, always check IN with the passport you are using to enter your destination.  It does NOT have to be the same passport you use to pass through outgoing immigration (if you you have to).

8 hours ago, Philob said:

While they may not ask questions, there is still the little matter of it being illegal under US FEDERAL law.  

Probably a good thing you posted that for others who may not know.  So I will add to it.  It is also illegal under Canadian law to transport it into Canada.

The reason for my question about "questions" is in my first post -- I have pre-flight anxiety and anything "different" (including but not limited to the questions asked by CBSA and TSA) can increase that anxiety.  So .... knowing in advance what others have experienced can help me prepare emotionally. 

18 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

Probably a good thing you posted that for others who may not know.  So I will add to it.  It is also illegal under Canadian law to transport it into Canada.

The reason for my question about "questions" is in my first post -- I have pre-flight anxiety and anything "different" (including but not limited to the questions asked by CBSA and TSA) can increase that anxiety.  So .... knowing in advance what others have experienced can help me prepare emotionally. 

I believe under the new legislation it is also illegal to transport it out of Canada, regardless of destination.

I imagine it won't be long before we learn how Canadians who are only using medical Cannibas  manage, especially the oil.  

As far as I can determine from official Canadian sites, there's no mention of medical Cannibas use.

https://www.canada.ca/en/services/health/campaigns/cannabis/border.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc_en&utm_content=travel_2&utm_campaign=cannabis-18#a2

And from the same Canadian site:

Travellers to the United States

Although the possession of cannabis is legal in some U.S. states, it remains illegal under U.S. federal laws in any form and quantity, making it illegal to bring across the Canada-U.S. border.

Previous use of cannabis, or any substance prohibited by U.S. federal laws, could mean that you are denied entry to the U.S. Canadians travelling for reasons related to the cannabis industry may be deemed inadmissible.

Do not attempt to cross the Canada-U.S. border with any amount of cannabis in any form, even if you are travelling to a U.S. state that has legalized possession of cannabis. If you do so you can expect legal prosecution and fines, and possibly jail time.

I can find no reference to medical usage from either country.  Of course the important rules are from US sources.

Ruth

16 minutes ago, Been There, Planning That said:

Yes, as it is in some states.  It's crossing the border with it either back into Canada or into the US about which I was wondering.

Ruth

Entering the US with ANY cannabis regardless of the reason is illegal as it is still against Federal laws.

On Y-Tube I found a broadcast TV series about US Border Security, (there's one for Canada) that showed people with a few crumbs left in the center console was denied entry and was turned back to Canada.  US citizens were allowed back in but were cuffed, cited, released, and given a future court date.

Here's a link to one episode: 

Edited by Philob

Flew in to Boston last night. I use enhanced clearance, so used a terminal for passport check and the only discussion was 'have a nice visit' as the agent took my clearance slip. Done. No questions. I think more discussion goes on when arriving by car.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SRF said:

If you check in with your Canadian passport, that is the info transmitted to CBP from your flight.

Best way, always check IN with the passport you are using to enter your destination.  It does NOT have to be the same passport you use to pass through outgoing immigration (if you you have to).

You misunderstood. They hassled me for entering Canada (left the US) on my Canadian passport. I entered the US on my US passport. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SRF said:

Best way, always check IN with the passport you are using to enter your destination.  It does NOT have to be the same passport you use to pass through outgoing immigration (if you have to).

he said he used his Canadian passport for his US to Canada flight. As he should have. He didn't say he used his Canadian passport to enter the US.

>>>>

US immigration did give me heck about checking in for my US to Canada flight on my Canadian passport though.

1 hour ago, boulders said:

You misunderstood. They hassled me for entering Canada (left the US) on my Canadian passport. I entered the US on my US passport. 

I  understood  that you need to use the same passport  on the return to Canada that  you used  going to the USA   is that not the case ?

When you enter the country of your citizenship, you're supposed to use their passport. The US border patrol didn't like it that I used my Canadian passport to enter Canada. 

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I  understood  that you need to use the same passport  on the return to Canada that  you used  going to the USA   is that not the case ?

2 hours ago, gooch47 said:

Since it is illegal according to US law, wouldn't it be irrelevant if the state you are entering allowed it?  You are passing through US border control, not state border control.

Technically crossing state borders is still under US Federal jurisdiction where the DEA could theoretically set up inspection stations at the state border.  What is more important is if the state you are entering allows cannabis to be brought in.  Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada are adjoining states, and all have legal cannabis use, but do not allow it to be brought across their respective state lines.

21 hours ago, Philob said:

Technically crossing state borders is still under US Federal jurisdiction where the DEA could theoretically set up inspection stations at the state border.  What is more important is if the state you are entering allows cannabis to be brought in.  Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada are adjoining states, and all have legal cannabis use, but do not allow it to be brought across their respective state lines.

Interesting.  But I guess I should know that because of all the TV shows I watch that talk about, for instance, the federal Mann Act which prohibits crossing state lines for "immoral purposes."